Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this write up could go in multiple forum locations but i will start by posting it under electrical (sorry if its in the wrong place).

I took info from a number of threads before i tackled this so here is my experience of this relay swap out mod, bear with me because i do go into a lot of detail when i write up my experiences with modifications....:grin

Firstly i started by removing the fuse box cover panel to have a feel for the relay location. I also attempted to remove the silver panel above (with the air vent) but totally gave up on that... honestly... you do not need to take that off anyway....

There is no dignified way to do it, so i pushed the seat back and lay on my back in the foot well, head up to the brake peddle! i was able to feel the relay and turn on the signal to verify i had the right one. the camera was helpful in "seeing" up under the dash because i couldn't contort my head to see with my eyes.. now being female, i an not the same build as a stocky fella, but i am not slight either, so the average guy should be able to approach this the same way, or ask the other half to help out :)....see below pics.

Now, the relay is circled but it is impossible to release it without breaking the clip when it is in this location attached to the fuse box lid, but i read on another thread that someone "accidentally" dislodged the fuse box lid, so this MUST come off somehow. Where the arrows are on the photos above i prized with my hands and a jewellers screw driver and released the clips to free the lid.

Once the lid is free you can rotate it on the wiring harness into the footwell to access the relay/wire plug

Free the plug but splitting the side clips on the relay and pushing in the tab on the wiring plug closest the fuse box lid and you will feel it release and you can take it apart.

to free up the relay from the fuse box lid you need to get a small jewellers screw driver and release the clip like below:

I then connected the tap turn relay to the wiring loom and tested it out.... before i reassembled it.

You want to put the lid back on the fuse box though because by removing it, it exposes the back of the circuit board.

When you slide the new relay onto the fuse box lid before replacing it, just slide it in to bind, don't push it on properly, that way you can quickly swap it out if needed. Then just push the lid back on the fuse box and adjust/ play with your TapTurn functions...

I set it to strobe signal and hazards and i am loving the one touch signalling... it was one of my bugbears on the FJ that it wasn't a standard feature. I highly recommend this modification and the supplier was very helpful, fast to act and shipping took no time (that was from Canada to UAE!).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all!
I posted this movie i took on another thread too.

Really happy with it and i have noticed that the fools on the roads here are less inclined to accelerate to close the gap when you change lanes.... (the mentality of the majority of the road users here "is see space and it has to be filled".... even if you are signalling way in advance to move over..... and they do it in a dangerous way too....) i put their hesitation down to the strobe setting.... they really are not sure about it :grin

http://vid6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/sam20v/FJ Cruiser/TAPTURN.mp4

·
Registered
273 Posts
Great instructions, I used them just now to install my TapTurn. Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great instructions, I used them just now to install my TapTurn. Thanks!
No problem:grin
After Christmas I am go to tackle the horn.... Just got a Wolo bad boy... Can't wait to fit it😊

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. Showed what to blindly feel for. Left the stock relay in place and just unplugged the harness. Swap took only a couple minutes. It almost took longer contorting my body and arm to squeeze up under the dash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. Showed what to blindly feel for. Left the stock relay in place and just unplugged the harness. Swap took only a couple minutes. It almost took longer contorting my body and arm to squeeze up under the dash.

Agreed, great write up. You both have much more patience than me. :simmadown: I took the "brute force" approach. Once located, I snapped the original flasher unit off of the cover. It's the only way I could get the original unit off the harness. Plugged in the unit from Diode Dynamics and was good to go. Left it tucked away where I can get to it again if needed.

Thanks again, though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome instructions, with excellent detail…
Tough fitting underneath the dash. I had to lead with my right arm, but the scrapes were worth not having to unbolt/unscrew anything.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I know this is a couple of years old, but I have been wanting to know how to get at that flasher, never remember to search it, now I know. Thanks again for the write up.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Great write up! Helped me get through the install in minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 FJ passenger side directional blinks fast, drive side normal.
Always check bulbs for dirty contact.
For my case it was easy, the passenger side front bulb contact was oxidized.
I re-seated the 1157 style lamp several times and the flasher slowed to normal rate.
Suspect the relay last because it is a royal PIA to get at.
I do not understand auto engineers, do they make it impossible to service as a business advantage?
Nice write up describing the relay access.
You can reach up under the dash and fell it clicking but no easy way to remove it.
Also I like the little mouse hole access panels provided to get to the rear lamp assemblies.
Glad I do not work on cars for living.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts