Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think it would be sweet if they came out with a hybrid FJ Cruiser. I can honestly say I would rather have that than a diesel

·
Registered
647 Posts
NO NO NO! Bite your Tongue! Hybrid is like mating Male and Female-- all you get is a HERMAPHRODIDIC VEHICLE !! Gender confused! gonadal mosaicism! Undescended testies! (source: New England Journal of Medicine, 01/14/98.)

SO :mad: Don't say it !

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
...from the Maryland Police Department, sir.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, if you like the torque of a diesel, just think if you had 100% of your torque available right from 0 RPM. The electric motor does that. It will also get just as good gas mileage as a diesel and has less impact on the environment. What if they were to build in an integrated generator like the Silverado hybrid? I don't like hauling around my generator, its heavy and takes up most of the space in my vehicles. hybrids can also be modded to be plugged in and/or to use solar panals to help charge the batteries further.

Sure the batteries take up space, but isn't there a bunch of room under the rear overhang where they could stick them. Sure more batteries add weight, but that doesn't seem to be a problem when we add our lifts, bumpers, lights, skids, winches, etc to our vehicles.

Owning a 4x4 is about the great outdoors. I say we should minimize our impact as much as possible if we are going to use our vehicles to do that.

Are you all tired of more and more wheeling spots being closed off? I sure am. Well, if we were to have less impact that would not be as great of an issue anymore.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there is no way that even 50% of the population owning hybrids would change the evironment anywhere near as much as... say... the US singing Kyoto. So the results are negligible and until hydrogen power takes over we can gas cars with a clean conscience.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The numbers I've seen attribute between 15-20% of greenhouse gases to automobiles. So if everyone drove hybrids today it might cut that in half. So maybe 7-10% decrease. Lots more has to be done if it's not too late already. Glaciers are receding, polar ice caps melting, permafrost thawing. I like to keep vehicles for a long time - over ten years, so as I said in a previous post, this will probably be the last fully gasoline powered vehicle I will ever buy for myself. Might be that last I'm able to buy.

All the more reason to smoke 'em if you got 'em boys.

Ho Ho Ho

·
Registered
552 Posts
MPD you might have a better argument if it was just about making yourself feel better about what you drive. If we all get Hybrids today I don't think it would make the difference. Keep in mind your argument doesn't really add up, the reason they are constantly trying to close off roading space is unrelated to emissions. The green weenies are afraid and sometimes rightfully of people that chose to trash the wilderness, like going off trail and tearing up the outdoors. Sometimes I think driving off trail is fine but in high traffic areas it doesn't make sense. It seems this market has a mix of people so that are torn between what they want and what they think they should want.

Keep in mind those that are against the idea will usually say whatever they have to so I’m sure there are lots of “facts” about emissions I’m sure there is a lot of online info related to this coming from both sides. I think the long term issue is more about consumption choices and less about efficiency.

So how about that diesel FJ! I would love the range that a Toyota diesel could have.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah, that statement about trails closing was a bit of a stretch, but I honestly like the technology. Its proven itself over the last ten years and the idea has been around since the early 20th century, and I believe Toyota has been toying with the idea since the seventies. Don't get me wrong, I would never drive a Prius, but a the first company that comes out with a capable and durable hybrid 4X4 will have my business. Toyota has already committed to hybrid technology and plans to implement it into every vehicle line they produce, so it could become a reality in the next few years.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A hybrid FJ would be great! Esp for highway driving. And, off-road, a hybrid FJ might be able to get even better gear ratios in LOW LOW with electric since its easier to control the power output from an electric motor (you've all used a winch so you know what I mean).

I do also like MPD's concept of using it as a generator. Although I admit that brings up the whole argument of: Are more fossil fuels burned to make electricity?

As to "does one drop in the bucket make a difference?" Hells yeah. Remember 9/11? We stopped all non-essential air-flight over the continental US for three days or so. Air quality across THE ENTIRE PLANET improved drastically over that time (NASA satellite measurements). Every engine, barbaque, smoke stack, and cow on this planet (no joke.. cow burps dump a phenomenal amount of methane into the atmosphere) makes a difference.

So yes, when I floor my FJ just to show the weenie in the Tahoe that I can keep up, I personally am hurting the environment. Each emission source that we can remove will make a difference. Measurable? Probably not. Helpful? Definitely. Pollution doesnt vanish, it just changes form. So choosing a hybrid over a gas will produce less emissions and reduce atmospheric pollution overall. IMHO.

As to the Green bean argument, ya it seems folks are mostly worried about off-roaders tearing up the ground and killing the wildlife. Grrr.. Such BS. Responsible off-roading on trails or in designated areas is a great way to explore and ENJOY otherwise inaccessible parts of nature... and gives us all more reason to want to protect it.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
my stepfather is very senior in Jersey government.

He bought a bunch of Ford Escape hybrids for beach use. said it was a big mistake because they just would get stuck in electric mode while in sand - not enough power.

Now if the electric motors were bigger, OR there was a switch on the dash that allowed you to run gasoline only when you wanted to, then it would be awesome in a 4x4.

I can tell you that I honestly feel a bit guilty for driving a vehicle that uses so much gas. I love my FJ more than anything - but yeah, not proud of the mileage....

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
The switch would be good, especially for off-road vehicles.

I think diesel hybrid is where its at and I think I remember reading that Honda and Toyota are working on just that.

As far as the tax credit/exemptions go, I think families should get an exemption for not having children rather than for having children. Those people that help keep the population down by not having children will be doing more to keep things clean and green in the future than just about anyone else.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yeah, that statement about trails closing was a bit of a stretch, but I honestly like the technology. Its proven itself over the last ten years and the idea has been around since the early 20th century, and I believe Toyota has been toying with the idea since the seventies. Don't get me wrong, I would never drive a Prius, but a the first company that comes out with a capable and durable hybrid 4X4 will have my business. Toyota has already committed to hybrid technology and plans to implement it into every vehicle line they produce, so it could become a reality in the next few years.
You say in your statement that you would never drive a Prius but yet you still want hybrid vehicles.

Do you just not like the Prius or are you just selective in your likes & dislikes as to which vehicle should be "allowed" to have the hybrid technology.

Cya

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
My husband drives a Prius (has a long commute), and I drive a FJ. He's happy, I'm happier. :lol: I must say though, I envy his mpg.

He missed the cut-off for the CA commute lane sticker... so one of his co-workers has offered to sell us a sticker (the guy has 2 Priuses!) for 500 bucks. Anyone know if that is legal?....

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
My husband drives a Prius (has a long commute), and I drive a FJ. He's happy, I'm happier. :lol: I must say though, I envy his mpg.

He missed the cut-off for the CA commute lane sticker... so one of his co-workers has offered to sell us a sticker (the guy has 2 Priuses!) for 500 bucks. Anyone know if that is legal?....
NO! and you don't need one anymore, that was a temporary fix until the new law went into place.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
NO! and you don't need one anymore, that was a temporary fix until the new law went into place.
What new law?? quick -- send me a link! I just sent an email ordering my (cheap) husband to buy the dang sticker!! :lol: His commute can take 2 hours when it should normally be 30 mins, and I need to get to the gym every night! :)

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
What new law?? quick -- send me a link! I just sent an email ordering my (cheap) husband to buy the dang sticker!! :lol: His commute can take 2 hours when it should normally be 30 mins, and I need to get to the gym every night! :)
uh oh, would have to ask my co-worker for that one. Here is the link that says you can not purchase a decal from someone else tho: Clean Air Stickers - High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lane Usage

and $500? It was free after I filled out a form with my Prius...($8 is practically free)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts