Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
we did Red Cone and it was open...I did notice that Webster Pass was still closed. I think it's the luck of the draw!! Hope you have fun!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
7/24/08
I just spoke with my Crested Butte contact regarding the road conditions on Pearl Pass. It doesn't look good, and Scofield Pass isn't doing any better. He said that they got 45 feet of snow this year. Although the passes may be melted on all the sunny spots, we are not able to drive to the pass due to what he calls the deep snow plugs, typically in low lying places, that will get in our way. He said both passes have a bunch of snow plugs. On the south side of Scofield, on the sunny side, too, the snow plug was 200 feet deep earlier this year and it's 70 feet deep today. Similar conditions exist on Pearl. It is his opinion that this will be the year that the two passes will not open. There's not enough time to melt the snow before new snow begins to fall. Time to go to plan B, but I'm not sure what plan B is. To be continued.
Damn, 200 feet! That was a lot of the white stuff, 70 feet isn't going to melt off before fall/winter.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Damn, 200 feet! That was a lot of the white stuff, 70 feet isn't going to melt off before fall/winter.
Perhaps, but I was surprised last year when 20' in the same place disappeared in 2 weeks...

...and it's 102 freakin' degrees today!

I still wouldn't bet on it.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I'm hot in my mountain home...sweatin horribly... ick!

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I ended up draggin the air conditioner into our room to cool down the top portion of our house

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'm hot in my mountain home...sweatin horribly... ick!
90+ in my living room... I'm literally sitting in front of the swamp cooler... only moving when necessary...

·
Registered
688 Posts
To actually answer your question, yes taylor pass is open. Came from castle creek road, ran express creek road up from ashcroft to the top, camped at Taylor lake Sat. night and wheeled all the way across richmond ridge to the Sundeck on the top of Ajax mtn yesterday - very nice and incredible wildflowers this year. Feel free to give me a shout, I wheel usually with some guys in the big body FJ80 landcruisers - your welcome to join. I live in Aspen, you may have seen me - wave next time!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
To actually answer your question, yes taylor pass is open. Came from castle creek road, ran express creek road up from ashcroft to the top, camped at Taylor lake Sat. night and wheeled all the way across richmond ridge to the Sundeck on the top of Ajax mtn yesterday - very nice and incredible wildflowers this year. Feel free to give me a shout, I wheel usually with some guys in the big body FJ80 landcruisers - your welcome to join. I live in Aspen, you may have seen me - wave next time!
How long have you been up there? After the last 10years up there, I moved down to Denver last fall.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We ran Taylor from Taylor Park to Aspen with no problems. Pulled our Trailer through. The worst part, as always, is when you exit the creek. Had a group of ATV waiting there to watch me get stuck. Used the locker and cruised and bumped right through it. The rest of the trail is rocky as always. We camped at Taylor lake which as always is beautiful.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
sweet :rocker: glad you had a good time!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts