Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, wanted to get your opinion. I've currently got TC upper arms with the fox coil over/res system, and love it, but I want more travel! I was thinking about going with the Total Chaos +2 upper/lower kit. If you have this package, or have heard anything about it, I would appreciate the feedback!

I've also been looking at the Camburg LT system a bit too, but havent heard anything about the quality/performance on the FJ, but I do know they put out a good product!

I'm really just looking to get as much travel out of the front end as possible without having to run fiberglass and too many additional conversion mods.

Any suggestion with running the Fox coil over or King coil over in the front? I do all sorts of off-roading, from high speed desert runs to rock crawling.

In the rear I am currently running stiffer ICON springs with Fox piggybacks and ICON billet aluminum lowers, and love the flex I'm getting.

Any help/advise/suggestions would be great!!

Thanks!:cheers:

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
here is a write up and video on the Total Chaos 2" Long Travel. I have been running this setup for a couple of years now and love it. I have taken my rig with this set up on the rocks of the Rubicon Trail and just got back from following the Baja 1,000 race course. Best Mod I ever did to the rig.

I would suggest giving Metal Tech a call (Metal Tech 4x4 Suspension, bumpers, sliders, roll cage, ICON, Total Chaos, Old Man Emu, ARB, PIAA, Metal-tech, FJ Cruiser, Tacoma, Land Cruiser). They have lots of experience with the TC set up. They even have their own longer axles and are the only shop I know will build and ship complete long travel half shafts. By the way don't forget to carry an extra half shaft on the trail. Not like a lot of other folks will have one your size.

Can't help you with Fox or King since I run Sway-A-Way.

Next mod for me is the Metal Tech rear long travel. Then the back end can keep up with all that travel in the front. Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
Does Camburg offer a 2" LT? Think it might just be the full 3.5".

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Call SDHQ and ask for their feedback on TC +2", +3.5" kits vs. Camburgs Long Travel. If I recall correctly they tore the TC 3.5" LT kit out of Air2Airs old rig (because it didn't live up to the advertised #s) and are now running a Camburg LT on it. At least that was my understanding.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
The camburg is a 3.5" LT kit that requires fiberglass fenders to be legal in most areas. It's the best LT on the market from everything I've seen, but it requires some serious cash and custom work for the fenders.

If you want a LT kit and don't want to mess with the fenders the TC +2" is your only option.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info lgrt, I'll check with Metal Tech and see what they would suggest! If you've been running your TC+2 for a couple years and haven't had major issues, it seems like that may be the way to go, especially after hearing that Camburg only makes the 3.5"! Carrying an extra half shaft is deffinitely a great idea, except for one problem... $$!! With the +2 I'll only need to extend my axles right? Don't have to worry about the stearing?
How do you like your sway-a-ways? I've been running the Fox's for the past couple years and havent had any problems with them, which is why i'd feel it would be a good idea to stick with them, but I am a big fan of the Kings. Do you have a "build up" on this forum? I'd like to check your rig out!

Silver_Surfer, I'll sell you my current TC standard travel upper arms and 2.5" Fox Coil overs with res for $1,000 bucks if you want it! It'll make my LT kit that much cheaper for me, AND you'll be stoked with the product! PM me! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
With the TC +2" kit, you will need the extended axles which total chaos does sell with the kit, and the kit also comes with tie rod extenders for the steering. I wish camburg made a +2 kit because their 3.5 kit is amazing, it uses spherical bearings on the lower control arms.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw that Total Chaos sold the axles seperately, so it sounds like that's all I will need then, TC+2 LT kit and two extneded axles and I'll be in business!!

·
Registered
937 Posts
I saw that Total Chaos sold the axles seperately, so it sounds like that's all I will need then, TC+2 LT kit and two extneded axles and I'll be in business!!
When you look at how TC vrs. others do the lower ball link you will see the TC system with the custom machined bolt has more ground clearance. For the axle's we have them in pairs or singles and offer pre-built axles with new Toyota boot and grease kits. We even have CV cores in house so we can pre-build your axels and ship them out with your kit. You just send back your cores once you are done with the install. No down time this way.

Let us know how we can help!

Mark

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
I was just talking with Todd (air2air) about the issue with the 3.5" TC vs Camburg, and I'm also going to be seeing Nicole from TC on Thur. So I'll report back on that. The crux of the issue seems to be CV angle at full droop on the 3.5" kit. Just don't want to post polluting info until I've gathered a full set.

On longevity of the 2" LT, I have TC's original development 2" kit on my truck - so over a couple of years. Absolutely awesome and no issues with it. I have a set of King shocks / coils on there, and Light Racing jounces.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all your help, really appreciate it! I've got all the numbers for my TC+2 LT kit and cant wait to get this rolling!! I think I was able to get everything for a great cost at my local shop. Like I said, if anyone is looking for a great TC standard travel suspension system, PM me! Complete with UCA's and 2.5" fox coil overs with resis.
Thanks again guys, this forum has helped in my entire build up!!

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
I was just talking with Todd (air2air) about the issue with the 3.5" TC vs Camburg, and I'm also going to be seeing Nicole from TC on Thur. So I'll report back on that. The crux of the issue seems to be CV angle at full droop on the 3.5" kit. Just don't want to post polluting info until I've gathered a full set.

On longevity of the 2" LT, I have TC's original development 2" kit on my truck - so over a couple of years. Absolutely awesome and no issues with it. I have a set of King shocks / coils on there, and Light Racing jounces.
The biggest reason for Todd's less then claimed numbers was his tires, they were just to big and limited his up travel.

Long time Mark hope all's well. Tell Todd I say hi next time you see him.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the parts on order, along with 5 new KM2's! I'll post some pics of the continued build when everything come in!! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts

Mir, just happened upon this thread and found it interesting based on the results we've seen. Was curious to hear what the results of your research were?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts