Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had planned a trip for the first of April with my cousin, but she cannot make it. We still hope to make it. Please educate me, and tell me about your experiences. I will get you started with some of my questions:

Is two days plenty? I was figuring three. We like to stop and walk, look at rocks, enjoy the setting, take photos, etc.

Is it safe to drive alone? If no, are there any groups or tours I could contact.

Is it well traveled enough for us to be stumbled-upon quickly if we have a serious breakdown?

Any problems making it with a stock 4WD FJ? I have basic recovery gear, hand winch, first aid, extra CV axle and inside tie rod, tool kit, small compressor, tire repair kit, gps, extra fuel and water, and the like. Oh yeah, and the Casbier book.

Is April a comfy time to be there? We will be fine with near freezing nights and towards 90 in the day.

People say no firearms. What is the law?

Is it accepted etiquette to poop in a hole behind a bush?

All your comments will be appreciated!

oldMattB

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
What Mojave road are you referring to? I know thats a pretty common road/trail name in the southwest.

If your gonna poop, behind a bush is nice, but make sure it isnt a rattle snake hole. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Hey Matt - I have done "The Mojave Road" three times now and strongly recommend you buy this book. It gives you a mile by mile detailed explanation of the place and the history.

Mojave Road Guide - DesertUSA Store

I have always done it in 2 days, but you need to keep on moving to get through it in 2 days (even though it's only a little less than 150 miles). If you really want to hike around and explore, you will need at least a third day.

I have done it solo, but would not recommend it for obvious reasons.

It is an easy trail in terms of technical challenge with only a couple of areas that can have some deep sand. The large Sods Lake near the end of the journey (if you are traveling from east to west as outlined in the book) is the x factor. Conditions vary dramatically from hard as a rock, to sloppy, crazy and not passible. I have had to "hang a right" at the Soda Lake and follow the edge of the lake around heading north up into Baker and then back onto the 15 and home to Orange County.

The trip is a classic beautiful run.

I have always camped at Beale Mountain, halfway along the route and at the end of a long first days trip.

Have fun.

:cheers:

-

·
Registered
717 Posts
this is one of those trips I want to do, can't make it in April, it may be fall before I can give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
What Mojave road are you referring to? I know thats a pretty common road/trail name in the southwest.

If your gonna poop, behind a bush is nice, but make sure it isnt a rattle snake hole. :eek:
If it's the same Mohave trail we have done, Poopin is not allowed, supposed to pack it out. Reason being is I guess too many piles and TP were ending up along the preserve road and really making it gross. (It's actually a rule if not law) Awesome ride. I have done it 3 times with the SoCal crew. Not challenging (well there are some fun side options)but fun and many different terrains. Bring gas n water. again, pack it in, pack it out. make sure to bring a penny, a frog, a troll, a pen, and pick up a rock at the beginning of the trail for the secret message in the rock pile at the soda lake. and of course a cammera.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the guidance. We will be somewhere in Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Lucerne Valley or Mojave Road this Spring. If you see black smoke from a burning tire 1/2 hour after sunrise, come looking for us! Bring tools and parts, and we'll have breakfast ready for you.

oldMattB
mattbruner.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts