Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've seen some great threads, pics, and anecdotes about the FJ Summit so far. We'd love to publish some of this great information in the forthcoming 2008 FJ Summit Special issue of FJC Magazine.

Here's what we're looking for:
  • Stories of your trips to and from Ouray (including why you decided to make the trip, and pics of your convoy)
  • Favorite trail runs
  • BEST pictures, I mean REALLY REALLY awesome pics of all types
Our goal is to make this issue nearly 100% reader contributed, so don't hold back!

We've setup a special address for everyone to use:
08summit <at> fjc-mag <dot> com

Our deadline is going to be August 16th, so we can get the issue out by September 1st. We can't wait to learn about all the great stories!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Okay, I'll start. "This one time, at FJ Cruiser Camp...":rofl::lol::rofl::lol:

Seriously though, this is a great mag, so everyone needs to contribute so Shane can put out another kick a55 issue!:deal:

I decided not to go last year because of another vacation I had already booked. My thought was that it would just be an informal wheeling get-together. Nothing wrong with that, but I can do that on my own schedule. Once I saw the photos , though, I realized this was a huge mistake!

I signed up for this year's as soon as I had confirmed the time off! Here's my favorite moment... before we even got there! Shane4x4 started in Colorado Springs with I think 6 FJ's of the Scenic Convoy through Colorado. He picked up mine in Woodland Park, and we picked up a bunch more outside of Buena Vista. By the time we were south of Ridgeway, we had over 15 FJ's in a solid uninterupted line! Once we got the cue on the CB, we all turned on our hazards and honked the horns as we entered Ouray and drove down Main Street to the Best Western. Even though it was raining, we got tons of smiles and waves (and a few curious - or envious - stares from the "other" 4x4s in town)! My camera is a piece:shrug03: so I didn't get good photos, but I know someone else here must have.

Bottom line, I'm already saving vacation time for next year!

Thanks for the great time all!:rocker:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I plan on doing a write up for you Shane to begin my elustrius career as a writer!

This summit for me was better than the last, chatting with the HAM folks, doing the night run with Shane and Angie was great (eventhough we talked so much my HAM battery gave out at the end :) )

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOING BLACK BEAR IN A TOTALLY STOCK FJ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (thanks again shane for spotting)

it was just awesome! and shane i will get the pictures posted soon, and like i said, use in your mag any you like. HERE IS A TEASER....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here's our story-
Last year, my husband & I were vacationing in Ouray as we have done for the past few years. We were driving a TOYOTA 4Runner (2 wheel drive).Usually, we rent a Jeep to do some trails while we are there. Well, for some reason, there were no Jeeps available for rent. However, there were all of these cool looking trucks driving all over the place. (Truthfully, my husband knew exactly what they were & had wanted one since they had come out).
So, there we were, no way to run any trails & watching all of these FJs drive circles around us-when my husband decides he will grab his handy dandy laptop & "just see what one goes for."
Long story short-we drove to Montrose & then Delta. After spending a whole day of our vacation in dealerships, we finally found the one we wanted but were told that Toyota Finanicial was closed for the day & that it would be the next morning before financing could be approved.
We let our sales man know that we already had plans for the next day to to do some fly fishing & jokingly told him that if wanted to sell that truck to us the next day, that he would have to bring it to us.
The next morning @ 9:00 am, our salesman was on the phone wanting to know where to meet us. We met him @ the park in Ridgeway, signed the papers, moved our fishing stuff & dog from one truck to the next & drove away.
However, there weren't many fish caught that day. We were too busy driving! Right up Engineer & back over Cinnamon! What a wonderful day!
We knew right away by the waves from other FJ owners, that we had become part of something & knew that we must come to the Summit this year.
Ouray has become a pretty expensive vacation for us. Last year the FJ, this year new tires. Plan on coming back next year, but concerned what it may cost us.
Well worth it I guess!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Here's our story-
Last year, my husband & I were vacationing in Ouray as we have done for the past few years. We were driving a TOYOTA 4Runner (2 wheel drive).Usually, we rent a Jeep to do some trails while we are there. Well, for some reason, there were no Jeeps available for rent. However, there were all of these cool looking trucks driving all over the place. (Truthfully, my husband knew exactly what they were & had wanted one since they had come out).
So, there we were, no way to run any trails & watching all of these FJs drive circles around us-when my husband decides he will grab his handy dandy laptop & "just see what one goes for."
Long story short-we drove to Montrose & then Delta. After spending a whole day of our vacation in dealerships, we finally found the one we wanted but were told that Toyota Finanicial was closed for the day & that it would be the next morning before financing could be approved.
We let our sales man know that we already had plans for the next day to to do some fly fishing & jokingly told him that if wanted to sell that truck to us the next day, that he would have to bring it to us.
The next morning @ 9:00 am, our salesman was on the phone wanting to know where to meet us. We met him @ the park in Ridgeway, signed the papers, moved our fishing stuff & dog from one truck to the next & drove away.
However, there weren't many fish caught that day. We were too busy driving! Right up Engineer & back over Cinnamon! What a wonderful day!
We knew right away by the waves from other FJ owners, that we had become part of something & knew that we must come to the Summit this year.
Ouray has become a pretty expensive vacation for us. Last year the FJ, this year new tires. Plan on coming back next year, but concerned what it may cost us.
Well worth it I guess!
This is indeed a good story! :cheers:

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Here's our story-
Well worth it I guess!
thats an awesome story!!

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I got one!

Well, it started off going up a mountain following a truck with a running engine. Then, the middle of the story dealt with me being followed by a truck without a running engine. And then, it ended with me holding on to my steering wheel with my life towing that same truck up and down hills :rofl:.

the end.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got one!

Well, it started off going up a mountain following a truck with a running engine. Then, the middle of the story dealt with me being followed by a truck without a running engine. And then, it ended with me holding on to my steering wheel with my life towing that same truck up and down hills :rofl:.

the end.
That story is DEFINITELY going in!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
We ran Alpine Loop with the OK people. I think that I may have scared the **** out of them a couple times. They were behind me, first half, I was taking hard lines and they were trying to figure out the easy. SORRY guys, I love the hard lines. ;) More of a challenge for me since I started driving trails. BTW this was my third trail driving.

Jackie

·
Registered
37 Posts
We ran Alpine Loop with the OK people. I think that I may have scared the **** out of them a couple times. They were behind me, first half, I was taking hard lines and they were trying to figure out the easy. SORRY guys, I love the hard lines. ;) More of a challenge for me since I started driving trails. BTW this was my third trail driving.

Jackie
Just a small not on that. We weren't scared. Just smart enough to know that in an almost stock FJ on Engineer, you have to be cautious rather than competative. It's a long ways back to Oklahoma with a broken down rig.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We've got some great stories everyone! A few requests....

-We need stories of the trip to the summit "Getting There"...funny, interesting, etc.
-We'd love to see your BEST pics of the organized trail runs (along with any cool anecdotes):
--Black Bear
--Imogene
--Ophir
--Cali/Corkscrew
--Alpine Loop

Thanks!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts