Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all experts ! Just purchased a new FJ, and have recently noticed the water temp gauge needle sits at around the the 7 0'clock position just covering the temp symbol. Is this normal looks like its running cold too me ?? Any ideas

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
It depends on outside temperature as well. Here its been around the -30 C mark so I'm lucky if my temp guage hits that symbol. Been thinking of placing carboard in front of the rad to get some heat when its that cold! But, during the summer months, I find it sits around the 1/2 way mark, even when hauling my trailer, it stays in and around that area.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Calling all experts ! Just purchased a new FJ, and have recently noticed the water temp gauge needle sits at around the the 7 0'clock position just covering the temp symbol. Is this normal looks like its running cold too me ?? Any ideas
Whats the outside air temperature ? Hows the heat coming from the vents on full heat setting ? Have your thermostat checked. Get a ScanGaugeII.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
That's some solid advice. I usually sit around 182-186 degrees per the scangauge or halfway up the temp gauge once warmed up.
I love my SGII. I vary about the same as you depending on ambient air temperature. There are a few similar devices that the OP could look at if he has a mind to. I'd say if his gauge is around the 7 o'clock position after enough drive time he is running too cool. But if he has a flame thrower as far as heat from the vents on full heat setting his thermostat is probably okay. Maybe a faulty sending unit. Had that happen to me once many years ago on a Cougar. Changed the Tstat 3 times before I found the sending unit was faulty. What were the odds of buying 3 new Tstat's an all 3 being bad. Me stupid. But that's how we learn things I guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply's ! The OAT is 29deg at the moment, I will check what comes out the vents as I never us hot air, only have the A/C on full cold. As I live in the desert I guess its running cold. Will get it checked out many thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah, mine normally is between 7 and 8 o'clock (mid to upper part of the little thermometer picture) in hot or cold weather. It takes a while for it to get there in colder weather.

The scangage fluctuates between 186 to 192 degrees at that position.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Up front I admit I'm no expert, get that imbedded. But............

In a recent thread posted by PoconoPAFJ I was reading how he was having a terrible time with his MPG, and had been to the dealer numerous times and just got no satisfaction.

To make a long story short, turns out he diagnosed over a long period of time that the engine was always running in the "warm up" mode, running rich on fuel because the thermostat was malfunctioning. (Never opening all the way as it should when completely warmed up.)

This year my MPG dropped from an average of 15.5 - 17 MPG all the way down to a flat 12.5!!!!!!! I was now getting less than 90 miles on the first half of the tank, and about 70 miles on the last half before the fuel light would come on. Same driving habits, no changes just crappy mileage.

So I watched my dash temp guage (which is admittedly no better than an "idiot light", but it's all I have). Now the guage when stone cold starts at about 6:30 (on a clock face), and goes up to about 11:30 for HOT; the temp symbol is at about 7:30, even after a while on the freeway (completely warmed up) I noticed that the temp needle had only progressed to about 730 and hovered there through stop and go city traffic also. I verified this by watching it on several trips.

I took it to my mechanic (along with a new thermostat), and had him replace the old one, changed my plugs and cleaned the MAF (which wasn't dirty at all).

My temp needle now hovers at about 8:30, but I haven't finished my new tank of gas but I am noticing an increase in heater warmth, and mileage seems to have increased but haven't verified it yet.

My truck is an '08, AT 4WD, and only has 25k on it.

I think there's something too the theory of these thermostats not operating properly. I've never seen a thermostat that was built-into the housing like this one is. And I might add that I've never seen a thermostat that cost $58 either.

Just a note to maybe help somebody else out.

Jerry:cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
Once hot, mine always runs at about 8 o'clock, clearly above the symbol. 7 o'clock sounds a little cold.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Once hot, mine always runs at about 8 o'clock, clearly above the symbol. 7 o'clock sounds a little cold.

DEWFPO
Does anyone know where the temperature sending unit is located? I have 2011 FJ and thinking of water temp gauge on top of dash (instead of inclinometer) but want to keep the stock temp gauge in dash too. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts