Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to add in a overhead console that has a temperature display on it and would like to know, if I did not get the 3 gages that sit on the dash can I still have a outside temperature sensor? I have read that the plug is there and just need to know what wires I need to tap into.

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
I am going to add in a overhead console that has a temperature display on it and would like to know, if I did not get the 3 gages that sit on the dash can I still have a outside temperature sensor? I have read that the plug is there and just need to know what wires I need to tap into.
The wiring harness may be there at the gauge pod end, but you'll still need to get the sensor device itself. Might be easiest to just make the outside temp gauge for your overhead console a completely separate set-up (wiring, sensor, gauge and all).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what I was thinking of doing just wanted to know if I was going to install something that is already there any way. Does anyone know where on the outside of the vehicle to install it so that it gets the most accurate reading of the temperature?

·
Registered
641 Posts
i think the sensor is there already/or at least the wiring. when i installed my All Pro front bumper, there was a wire/electronic thing i had to re-attach to the vertical brace for the hood latch (in front of the radiator). i checked a wiring diagram, and it said it was the temp sensor (pretty sure i saw a drawing of the actual sensor).

the part number is: Ambient Temp. Sensor 90980–11070

look here, page 38 (i can't find image of the actual sensor):
http://brockandbecca.com/files/fj/FJ_Electrical.pdf

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is in the front bumper the best place for the temperature sensor? Any other places make more sense. I live in the desert so I do not want it to close to the street because of the heat from the road.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
We had an Audi that had the temp sensor at the bottom of the side mirror. It seemed to more accurately represent the ambient temperature outside than any other vehicle we've owned that had one. But even located there, when the engine fans came on (this Audi had 3 fans, 1 mech. and 2 electrical), the heat would boil out from under the car behind the front wheels and up towards the side mirrors. But it was a better location than most. There really isn't a perfect place on a car or SUV. It's either be exposed to the sun, road spray, road heat or engine heat. You basically want it to be bathed in ambient air all the time, protected from road spray and away from areas that will receive supplemental heat.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Would behind the mirror work, inside the plastic hosing?
It needs to have airflow around it to be accurate. Ever see those bank signs that read temperature? Many are always off by 10 degrees or more (reading high) because there's no place to put the sensor except in the sign or on top of it. TV stations love to show those signs because they read high and make the hot temps look even more dramatic.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Best location might be in the intake vents in front of the windshield. Lots of air always passing through there. Many OEM sensors are in that location.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts