Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is any one going to "rough it" and and go camping during the Summit. Just bought a Sierra Designs tent for the Summit and I am ready to go. Any one else going this route or am I the loaner.:) :)

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
me and my gal will probably be camping out the whole time. i want a circle of fjs to protect the campsite at night.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Well yes on the tent question as we have a spot at ampitheatre campground, but it isn't really roughing it.
The real question will be between tent or hammock. I have camping hammocks and I am working on a rig to have a stand & use the roof rack to allow freestanding hammock use...just thinking out loud :)
enjoy
1leglance

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I already tried a setup with 2 hammock & a tree (sounds like a great movie).
Hammock A tied to front mount of roof rack and other end to tree.
Hammock B tied to rear mount of roof rack and other end to same tree.
This made a nice V for my son & I to chat.
We have 2 types of hammocks, normal and ones with a built in canopy/net
When it is cold or buggy we use the net/canopy ones, when it is warm & bug free we just put 1 large tarp over both regular canopy's.
Now I want to work on a tripod or something that would replace the tree in the desert or campground.
Just an idea and can always use a couple of 2 person tents,
enjoy
1leglance

·
Registered
839 Posts
Seems like we stayed at a KOA in or around Ouray in the past (like 10 years ago). Does anyone know if it is still there and would be close enough to the festivities? Sometimes we stay in our tent and sometimes in a KOA cabin but if someone comes up with a designated camping area then PM me or email and we'll check into reserving a space with our fellow FJrs.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Is any one going to "rough it" and and go camping during the Summit. Just bought a Sierra Designs tent for the Summit and I am ready to go. Any one else going this route or am I the loaner.:) :)
I did my reservation for 3 day/nites during the summit at the Ridgway Park just outside of Ouray. Hope I see other FJ owners there.
I'll be there with my gal in a Black Diamond.

Here's some information about the park and Campsite

The campsite i'll be camping at is on the left of the water...and i'll be camping at "282"

For more information and reservation you can go here Park Information

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
i have no idea how im supposed to reserve a spot. can someone please help me out and possibly have me be near them. i want to camp with as many ppl as possible.

also, i tryed the link above, but the only remaining spots were handicap reserved type of things

·
Registered
366 Posts
Lance....im bringin the mosquito hammock.....sleepin under the stars, bug free...or at least chillin in the hammock & sleepin with the wifey in the tent over night....Kat you can have the regular hammock....:zzz:

3D

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Lance....im bringin the mosquito hammock.....sleepin under the stars, bug free...or at least chillin in the hammock & sleepin with the wifey in the tent over night....Kat you can have the regular hammock....:zzz:

3D
Uh................i think i will go to REI and get the mosquito hammock too, but thanks for thinking of me first.......... :fight: :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
so it is really not roughing it if you have the can to go to?:roller:

It is outside at 7000 ft and i bet we will feel roughing it at night when it is butt cold outside.

Just can not wait it is killing me softly to count down the days.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
We stayed in Ouray same week last year ( 11-14th) beautiful high 70s during the daylight, (cooler at altitude on the alpine loop), high 40s and 50s at night. Bring a warm bag or a cozy companion to stay warm. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts