Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 6spd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. My Fj gets about 10mpg no matter what kind of driving I do. It’s an 07 6spd manual and has 120k miles. Before I go anywhere I am getting a PO430 code, which I believe is tied to my issue. I will say I do a lot more city driving than highway. But 10mpg can’t be right. My truck is lightly modded, I run aggressive 32s all terrains and have about a 2 or so inch lift. I have a custom rack I built for it that weighs about 50-70 pounds? And a small custom drawer thats maybe 20 pounds. I know these trucks are hogs but I’m getting the same mileage as a big block chevy. I don’t drive it hard I keep it around 2-2.5k rpms when shifting. I’ve replaced the thermostat, plugs, air filter, MAF.
Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
456 Posts
The lower piston on front brake calipers have a habit of seizing.

·
Registered
456 Posts
There's also a little wheel under rear rotors to back off the parking brake shoes. Maybe they're too tight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's also a little wheel under rear rotors to back off the parking brake shoes. Maybe they're too tight.
I’ll take a look. I wouldn’t be surprised. This car before me wasnt taken very good care of

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Here’s a picture of the rig. Almost all stock except for small lift, rack & tires

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I don’t see how it could be the parking brake! Lol! If it was adjusted that tight, you’d smell the pads overheating and they’d most likely be smoking!

If you’re getting the P0430 Catalytic converter code, that is very likely your issue. It’ll put your engine in limp mode, which can cause it to run super rich and use excessive amounts of fuel. There could be other codes that aren’t showing up too. I use a Scangauge that’s hooked up constantly and occasionally I’ll get a mass air flow code due to my supercharger-snorkel combo. But about a year ago I also started running BlueDriver and started noticing it reads soooo many more codes than the scanguage. As soon as I ran it the first time it detected a couple emissions codes that I didn’t even know about.
Long story short, I’d suggest finding a code reader that reads everything! Then try clearing the codes and see if they come back. Sometimes just clearing them fixes the problem.

My rig is super modified with 35” tires & beadlocks, Dana 60 axle, Atlas transfer case, steel bumpers, fridge, sleep deck/storage drawers, etc, etc, etc. All of which adds LOTS of weight. I’m getting 10-12mpg around town, which is normal for a rig that weighs as much as mine. Your rig should be getting 15-18, at the very least! My wife’s stock Fj gets 17-20 mpg.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t see how it could be the parking brake! Lol! If it was adjusted that tight, you’d smell the pads overheating and they’d most likely be smoking!

If you’re getting the P0430 Catalytic converter code, that is very likely your issue. It’ll put your engine in limp mode, which can cause it to run super rich and use excessive amounts of fuel. There could be other codes that aren’t showing up too. I use a Scangauge that’s hooked up constantly and occasionally I’ll get a mass air flow code due to my supercharger-snorkel combo. But about a year ago I also started running BlueDriver and started noticing it reads soooo many more codes than the scanguage. As soon as I ran it the first time it detected a couple emissions codes that I didn’t even know about.
Long story short, I’d suggest finding a code reader that reads everything! Then try clearing the codes and see if they come back. Sometimes just clearing them fixes the problem.

My rig is super modified with 35” tires & beadlocks, Dana 60 axle, Atlas transfer case, steel bumpers, fridge, sleep deck/storage drawers, etc, etc, etc. All of which adds LOTS of weight. I’m getting 10-12mpg around town, which is normal for a rig that weighs as much as mine. Your rig should be getting 15-18, at the very least! My wife’s stock Fj gets 17-20 mpg.

Good luck!

So yes the P0430 is a cat code for bank 2. I haven’t been getting the 420 code for bank 1 but I’ve been battling the 430 since I got the truck. I’m able to clear it and it will go away for a month and come back so I know my cats are on the edge of being done. I believe something caused my cats to die prematurely but I haven’t been able to figure out what it could be.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
So yes the P0430 is a cat code for bank 2. I haven’t been getting the 420 code for bank 1 but I’ve been battling the 430 since I got the truck. I’m able to clear it and it will go away for a month and come back so I know my cats are on the edge of being done. I believe something caused my cats to die prematurely but I haven’t been able to figure out what it could be.
Are you smelling a rotten egg smell, at the tail pipe, when the engine is running? A lot of times you’ll get that smell when the cats are plugged. If not, the cat is probably okay. And if that’s the case, I personally, would be looking at the o2 sensors on bank 2.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Replacing both upstream and downstream lambda sensors could help with the 0430 code. I'd do all 4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts