Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Five of us ran Gold Mt. and John Bull yesterday. It is tore up. Parts of the trail are tough. I had to winch twice. The weather was great about 72 at 9am and about 77 during the day. There was no traffic on the way home. Only took a couple of pictures. 2 of the pictures are of Terrys Tree.

·
Registered
641 Posts
This second trip on John Bull reminded me: trail conditions always change. Six weeks later, this was a very different trail. I think the average for the group was 2 winches each. Thank goodness I installed all the extra armor, cause I used all of it. If this weekend had been my first run on John Bull, my rig would be a mess underneath.
BUT, it was a blast. Thanks Brent, Tom (and Tom's son-in-law, sorry I forgot your name, you are an awesome spotter), Scotty and Wayne. Sorry, most of my pics are of FJs hung on stuff, little time for pics, we were working hard to complete this trail...

View of Baldwin Lake from Gold Mountain:

Wayne

Scotty. Had to change a tire on his rig, near a tough spot, with 17 Jeeps behind us. Luckily, in the time it took to change tire, only 3 jeeps completed the obstacle, and we got back out in front of the big group.

Brent
We ALL hung-up early and often (well, a couple times each)

Me: not hung-up, but trust me, I did my share.

Tom

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marty.... you did make the hardest section with out a flat or winch. That was awesome considering how much this trail changed. When I first saw that section, I thought "theres no way." But, you did it! You reved it up and were not going to be denied !!! I got mad having to winch that first section. :)

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
JEEZ! That stuff looks rough on the underbelly. You guys must have some serious skids under there. Nice pics, though.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Oh wow.

How did I miss this trip??? I've been wanting to do John Bull and Gold Mtn ever since I got my TT last month. DRAT!!

That looks even BETTER than I imagined! Guys wanna go back Aug 2nd Saturday?

That looks just spectacular! Can't wait! Cheers!

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
By the way - any FJ's scratch their front bumpers? You guys look like you have 3" lifts with 33's/35's, so that probably helped - but any idea if a stock bumper with stock lift will make it through?

I'm deciding between a Lucrum and an Expedition One - is the extra clearance of something like the E1 needed on JB or Gold Mtn? I didn't need it on Lockwood Creek / Miller Jeep Trail (stock TT), but my bling plate was ... well ... let's just say it didn't make it past the first hill (heh heh), so my BudBuilts are on their way.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
641 Posts
By the way - any FJ's scratch their front bumpers? You guys look like you have 3" lifts with 33's/35's, so that probably helped - but any idea if a stock bumper with stock lift will make it through?

I'm deciding between a Lucrum and an Expedition One - is the extra clearance of something like the E1 needed on JB or Gold Mtn? I didn't need it on Lockwood Creek / Miller Jeep Trail (stock TT), but my bling plate was ... well ... let's just say it didn't make it past the first hill (heh heh), so my BudBuilts are on their way.

Thanks for the feedback!
All the FJs had 3" lifts and 33" tires minimum. I hit my All Pro rear bumper this trip, and my rear stock bumper on the last trip. My stock tailpipe took a beating on both trips. Also, hit every skid underneath. If you don't want to get scuffed up, don't do this trail. Two Fjs also got minor scrapes/dents on the passenger side rear doors. BUT, it was all in good fun...:)
long story short:
I would not do this trail with a stock lift. Also, get lots of armor, and don't forget where the LCAs connect to the frame (All Pro makes a nice skid for this area). The LCA connections to the frame get a good work-out squeezing between boulders.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
All the FJs had 3" lifts and 33" tires minimum. I hit my All Pro rear bumper this trip, and my rear stock bumper on the last trip. My stock tailpipe took a beating on both trips. Also, hit every skid underneath. If you don't want to get scuffed up, don't do this trail. Two Fjs also got minor scrapes/dents on the passenger side rear doors. BUT, it was all in good fun...:)
Thanks!

I'm not worried about beauty marks...I tell folks that if I wanted a flower pot, I would have bought a flower pot.

I'm more concerned if the stock front bumper will hang me up crawling over rocks, or if the extra clearance of an E1 or FabFours will help.

I might get an OME lift by then, but not sure...trying to keep this TT basically stock, but we'll see how long that lasts...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Marty.... you did make the hardest section with out a flat or winch. That was awesome considering how much this trail changed. When I first saw that section, I thought "theres no way." But, you did it! You reved it up and were not going to be denied !!! I got mad having to winch that first section. :)
I am always looking for the easiest line, unlike YOU...:) It was a good time, thanks for taking me along again!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks!

I'm not worried about beauty marks...I tell folks that if I wanted a flower pot, I would have bought a flower pot.

I'm more concerned if the stock front bumper will hang me up crawling over rocks, or if the extra clearance of an E1 or FabFours will help.

I might get an OME lift by then, but not sure...trying to keep this TT basically stock, but we'll see how long that lasts...
A stock front bumper should be fine, it is mostly plastic and will just get bent up a bit, but it would make alot of contact and be a PITA. We all had All Pro front bumpers, and they took no damage. Most of the contact/hanging up seems to happen from the LCAs and back, including the rear diff and rear bumper.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks for the feedback!
Clearence is all you need to make JB. Large tires, light high clearence skids ect, You won't drag a AP front bumper. You need to pick your line carefully but, you may still slip and need a winch or tug. All Pro has the highest clearence skids. Call Terry and order yours, tell um you would like to visit the tree. Maybe he'll give you a discount.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Sweet pics.Cant wait till i try it.Maybe need a few more mods for this one.Winch & skids.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

Thanks for the feedback!
I did the gold mountain part during the trail team event. One flat, and one "beauty mark" on the underside of the front bumper. Fun trail.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Nice post! Love seeing pics. Point, 8/2? I'll try and make it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.