Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running the TruFiler oil filter system. I've had the filter for about 10,000 miles now and I've been pleased with the performance. No leaks, very easy to clean and service. And it is cool to be able to take it apart and see the gunk it is catching. That said, I can't find any good info that compares the filtering prowess of Stainless Steel media VS. a good quality synthetic throw away filter. I called my tuner at PURE and asked him for his input. He was not familiar enough with the Trufilter or Pure Power filter to comment on them, so he suggested I have a lab analysis done after running various filters for 1000 miles each. I've sent away for the Blackstone lab test kit.... it is free to get the kit and it is about $25 bucks for a complete oil analysis. So, I will put fresh oil in (Nippon ENEOS full synthetic 5W-40), and clean the Trufilter and run it for 1000 miles. I will then repeat the same procedure with the other filters to be tested. I want to know if there is any particular filter that people really want to see tested, and I'll be happy to run an analysis on it too. Currently I am testing the Trufilter, TRD filter, and maybe the Mobile 1 M1-211. I'll probably also do the OEM filter for a control comparison.

So, chime in... what filter should I test. Other than the TruFilter, I'm open to trying anything.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can test anything people want to see tested. I was hoping to get an idea of the most popular filters people run on the forum, so the data will benefit the most people. So, sure I'd be happy to test that filter. Obviously this is going to take some time to get done. I have to drive 1,000 miles for every filter we test and send the oil out to the lab for the results. But I can post up the findings as I get them rather than waiting until all the filters have been run and sending all the samples out together. I'll start a list of filters people ask to see and test them based on order of popularity.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tests will be run under similar driving conditions, so the data should be pretty valid. It would be invalid to compare the oil from 1000 miles of city driving to 1000 miles on the highway. I'm sure someone is gonna flame the hell out of me at some point, so any suggestions to improve the testing procedure are greatly appreciated. The TruFilter was a gift to me, and I have no interest in seeing any filter do better than any other. I just want to get some real world data so I can make a decision about what filter provides the best protection for my baby. :clap:

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
How about the "regular" filters, such as the Toyota OEM oil filter, as well as Pennzoil and Fram, which probably are among the most common ones used.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am gonna do the OEM toyota oil filter. I'm not gonna test the Fram paper filters, or anything similar because there is plenty of data out there showing how crappy they are. Also, all of the data I can find on Stainless Steel filters are compared to paper filters like Fram, and it is known that they are far superior. I'm interested in knowing if the Stainless filter media is worse, as good, or better than the high end Cellulose/fiberglass/polypro filters. And if so, by how much. I guess if a ton of people want to see me test one of the super cheap filters I'll do it, but like I said.... the data is already out there showing their poor filtration.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I am gonna do the OEM toyota oil filter. I'm not gonna test the Fram paper filters, or anything similar because there is plenty of data out there showing how crappy they are.
Okee dokee! Looking forward to the testing results.

I've only used the OEM and Pennzoil filters in my FJ so far. The latter when I was taking my FJ to the quick Pennzoil Oil Change place near my house, but that was before they lied to me and told me they changed the oil filter when they didn't. As a result of that bad experience, I was planning to switch to the TruFilter after seeing the thread on your installation of it.

It's not cost effective (the cost of the TruFilter would far exceed the lifetime cost of oil filters that I would use) but it's still on my "to do" list and, if the tesing results for the TruFilter significantly exceed those for the OEM filter, it would justify the additional cost to purchase and install it.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good Deal swingshift. In the future, ask them to show you the old filter if you go to a quick lube place, as they often don't replace the filter even if you ask them to. I stopped going to those places years ago when they completely forgot to put a filter back on. No damage was done because I shut off the engine before I even pulled out of the stall. That was a mess. Oil everywhere. Another time before that, they put it back on, but failed to tighten it at all! Once again, oil everywhere.

You will be fine using the OEM filter. They actually usually use high quality filters. As long as you change your oil and filters every 3000-5000 miles, you should have no problems regardless of the filter you use. Even the crappy paper ones.

The Trufilter has a number of advantages independent of its filtering ability. It cools your oil because the aluminum housing radiates heat better and because of increased flow. The Oil flows very freely.... look at the holes in the base compared to the little holes in a typical filter. It looks really nice too. I just hope it filters at least as well as the OEM filter. If it does, I'll most likely keep it because of the other advantages it offers. If not, I'll switch back and keep it as a backup filter.

As far as not paying for itself, you can keep the filter and install it on any vehicle you purchase in the future. It really is a lifetime filter, so it will pay for itself eventually if you keep it from car to car. The filters I was using were about 12-15 dollars, and I change religiously every 3000 miles. So for me it pays for itself in at most 50,000 miles. I plan on breaking the million mile mark on my FJ someday, so if it provides adequate filtration, it will be well worth it.

It also is good for the planet since you don't have fouled filters to throw away! So I guess we'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
The M1 stock replacement is a M1-102. You mentioned an M1-211 (?)

I've used that filter, and the larger M1-301 (I don't expect any difference between this and the M1-102).

I've also used the stock (Japanese original filter) and the stock Toyota replacement filter, and an Amsoil Ea-057 (synthetic media).

Have you considered running a dual filter (with adapter to the existing filter location) and running your Trufilter on one side and another filter on the other. That way you could compare both to each other over the same time period. Just a thought.

DEWPFO

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry... that was a typo on the 211. You are correct. I have thought about running a dual filter. You said there is an adapter to do this? Where can I find it? I've seen some aux oil coolers that allow you to add a second filter, which is what I was thinking about doing. Cooler and cleaner oil sounds good to me!

With regard to running the two filters simultaneously, the only comparison I could make is a visual observation of the stuff caught in the filter. By doing it the way I'm doing it, we get to see how clean the oil is from the same engine and same driving conditions with different filters. Thus, we'll be able to say, "filter A produced cleaner oil than filter B and here is the hard data". While it would be cool to do what you suggest, and no doubt the best filtration option, I wouldn't be able to get any hard data.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
I hear you and your right. I wasn't sure if you wanted to do a visual inspection on the captured dirt between filters and run the oil analysis.

I had one of these on my '85 F150.

DEWPFO

·
Registered
308 Posts
Can you test the K&N HP-1002 ?
yeah I have been running the K&N 1002 for the last 4 changes and I too would like to see results on it. Somebody on the forum runs larger filters too so it would be interesting to see if there are any benefits to running a larger filter other then you have to add more oil.
Thanks for putting this together too......I'm sure it will be very much appreciated but all.....:bandit:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a TRD filter that I never used. That thing is huge. I thought about testing it too. I'm guessing an advantage other than more oil might be more filter media surface area and higher flow maybe?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
The M1 stock replacement is a M1-102. You mentioned an M1-211 (?)

I've used that filter, and the larger M1-301 (I don't expect any difference between this and the M1-102).
You don't expect any difference in a filter that is almost twice the size? Are you just referring to the material used or that there will not be a difference in its ability to filter?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
How about the big M1-301?

It's much bigger then the stock filter (next to it).

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
How about the big M1-301?

It's much bigger then the stock filter (next to it).
That is the filter i have been using, the M1-301 filter.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That looks about the same size as the TRD filter. I'm willing to test as many filters as it takes to get good data. It could get expensive though. I'm happy to pay the 30 dollar testing fee, but maybe if you really want me to test a filter, you can mail it to me so I don't have to pay for everything.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got the first Two test kits from Blackstone Labs. I'll change my oil today and start the testing on the Trufilter since that is what it on there now. I plan on putting 1000 miles on each filter per testing period. I'll overnight the sample and they will do the analysis the same day they get it and e-mail me the results so I can post them here.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
HP-1002 and the TG3614!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually I'm testing the TRD filter first. Running Nippon ENEOS 5w-40.

I went to pick up the M1-301 at autozone and saw the M1-303. I looked at the two side by side and can't see what the difference is. Is the thread pitch different? Anyone know?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts