Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there some sort of 1st gear hill assist in the cruisers?

New buyer. Never driven a cruiser with manual before. This vehicle I just tested out was my 3rd cruiser with manual.

When slowing down or completely stopping to make a park turn the vehicle wont accelerate. Is this a problem or me as the driver?

I've test drove the newer 16+ Tacos and none of them do this.

Im asking because all 3 that I have tested did the same thing when slowing down and turning to park in 2H.

Also the current Cruiser I just tested the VSC light turns on when you are on 2H. Light turns off when switching to 4H but comes back on when you go back to 2H..

Hope someone can help asap. I really want this last Cruiser I just tested

Thank you

*also all three had a smoky smell when test drive was over. All 3 are 2007 models

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
No hill assist.
The 6MT doesn’t have 2H. 4H, 4H Locked, Lo Locked

The VSC off light goes on when you go to 4 Lo. Like this

So, if you were driving around in Lo on dry pavement trying to turn into a parking space it was probably binding.
Was the smoky smell like a burning clutch smell?
You can download a copy of the FJ Manual at Toyota.com to familiarize yourself with the system.
Good luck. You’re going to love the 6MT.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
here is a guide to the controls that SHOULD have been included, instead of the sea of words in the manual and that little card in the driver's sun visor pocket

Attachments

·
Desert Moderator
5,658 Posts
To add to the posts above, just pull the 4WD selector back all the way toward you, and leave it there.
You only need to move it when it starts getting really hairy.

Keep your left foot off the clutch.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts

*also all three had a smoky smell when test drive was over. All 3 are 2007 models
Might want to keep looking as those 3 probably now have some real troubles with the 4WD system since apparently even the salesperson doesnt know what they are doing and has been letting people drive on high traction surfaces in HL and LL with the manual transmission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts