1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I guess I should get off my duff and register. All the prime trail times are likely filled by now, but it's no big thang; I'm just as happy to hang out & catch any cancellations or no-shows.

I know one thing though, I'm not gonna try to drive home in one day this year. After 15 hours on the road in '08, I was exhausted & wired at the same time, after downing a six pack of energy drinks... LOL

Oh, I plan to leave early on the 20th. Stop the night in ABQ, then have a leisurely drive to Ouray the following day.

Edit: Just registered, & confirmed that early trail times are in effect. No biggie, I'm an early riser anywho :)

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I guess I should get off my duff and register. All the prime trail times are likely filled by now, but it's no big thang; I'm just as happy to hang out & catch any cancellations or no-shows.

I know one thing though, I'm not gonna try to drive home in one day this year. After 15 hours on the road in '08, I was exhausted & wired at the same time, after downing a six pack of energy drinks... LOL

Oh, I plan to leave early on the 20th. Stop the night in ABQ, then have a leisurely drive to Ouray the following day.
15 hours! hell I left Houston at 1:45PM and crossed the NM stateline at 1:00AM! The drive back I left Ouray after the group photo shoot at 7:30 drove straight through, met up with The Keeper, TXFJ85 & Autorocker and pulled into my driveway at 5:30AM! 22 hours straight, called my boss and told him that I wasn't going to make it into work! :cheers: 15 hours piece of cake!:rofl:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I know, I'm a wuss.

All the beer the previous evening probably didn't help, either.

Note to self, limit consumption at altitude...

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys need to learn to take your time......

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ive registered and was thinking of going in the convoy that wilson was talking about in the 2011 summit section. Im pretty sure hes not going to try and do it all in one day. I dont know exactly when hes wanting to leave, I think he said either sun or mon but either way Im probably going to head out with him.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Im not registered yet, but I'll be up there. Im deciding if I should go back to Moab before or not. It would be neat to go back up to Aspen again, so Im kicking that around instead of Moab..... I'll probably head out the Thurs/Friday before, havent given it too much thought yet. I guess I should get a move-on it'll be here before I know it! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Registered several hours ago, all trails were open for registration, I only saw 8:00-9:30 departure times listed.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm registered. Can't make the convoy up there (I'll already be in CO), but will look into the trip home.
-Greg

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Registered today. Got my room reserved about 8weeks ago. Planning on leaving on the 19th from San Antonio getting up to Roswell for the night and then in to Ouray the next day. Still trying to decide if I'm driving the FJ or hauling it up on a trailer.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Registered today. Got my room reserved about 8weeks ago. Planning on leaving on the 19th from San Antonio getting up to Roswell for the night and then in to Ouray the next day. Still trying to decide if I'm driving the FJ or hauling it up on a trailer.
I see you've got quite a bit of weight on that thing....nice build. :rocker:

However, unless you've got a ton of people going with you and they won't fit in the FJC, or your towing vehicle will get better gas mileage while towing it, or you have the solid front axle mod (didn't see that in the list), the FJC makes for a great road-trip vehicle (not sure if you've done that at all yet, but we have, and love it).

Either way, hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip up here. :cheers:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Yeah it is a bit heavy. I'm considering hauling it on a trailer because I only get about 14-15 MPG on the highway and my diesel truck is alot more comfortable for long trips. Funny but my milage will be about the same if not better even towing. I also thought that if I broke I could easily just haul it back. I have made several long and short trips with th FJ and have loved every one of them. Like I said still playing with the idea. Looking forward to this trip. See ya there

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Just curious, the Summit starts on Wed. the 20th and everyone seems to be leaving on the 19th. Why isn't anybody taking advantage of leaving on the 15th or 16th to take advantage of the weekend and spend sometime in Moab or Colorado before the Summit? Is it folks are having to work the weekend, to many extra days of vacation??

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Just curious, the Summit starts on Wed. the 20th and everyone seems to be leaving on the 19th. Why isn't anybody taking advantage of leaving on the 15th or 16th to take advantage of the weekend and spend sometime in Moab or Colorado before the Summit? Is it folks are having to work the weekend, to many extra days of vacation??
We'll probably leave the Saturday or Sunday before the Summit. Looking to do some horseback riding, rafting, and sightseeing.

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
For us...

Each day away from home cost us an additional $95 for dog care, $100-$150 hotel, meals, etc...

Would love to go for two weeks.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
For us...

Each day away from home cost us an additional $95 for dog care, $100-$150 hotel, meals, etc...

Would love to go for two weeks.
YIKES, makes perfect cents! :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
$$, here, too. I'm contracting, so days off for me mean no pay...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts