Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 · (Edited)
Below is a copy of the Email the Texas State DMV sent me, as long as the vehicle is immediately taken out of Texas you do not pay taxes there.

AskDMV (TxDMV)
Reply|
To:
landr0ver@hotmail.com; Wed 12/23/2015 9:10 AM
Photos
Good morning Mr. McGinn,

Thank you for contacting us. I hope you are doing well. I am sorry you are having such trouble with one of our dealerships. Texas law provides out of state purchasers the exemption from Texas taxes and registration fees. You are correct in saying your taxes and registration will be paid to the state of Nebraska.

7.4 Exemption/Resale Certificates.

a. Texas Motor Vehicle Sales Tax Exemption Certificate — For Vehicles Taken Out
of State. If the vehicle is to be transported immediately out of Texas for titling and registration, a motor vehicle sales tax exemption certificate Form 14-312 may be completed and signed by the buyer. To be a valid exemption, there must be no use of the vehicle in Texas other than the immediate transportation of the vehicle out of the state. This certificate should be furnished to the buyer and retained by the seller. The seller must also send a copy to the Comptroller’s office and then forward a copy of that correspondence to the purchaser. A copy of the form is available on page 7-7. The address the dealer would send the form to is:

Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
Business Activity Research Team
P. O. Box 13003
Austin, Texas 78711-3003

This information is found in the Comptroller Publication referred to as the Motor Vehicle Tax Guidebook Section IV.

I hope this information helps you. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance .

Sincerely,

Michelle Ehrett || Consumer Relations Division Customer Care Representative
Email: AskDMV@TxDMV.gov Phone: 1-888-368-4689 or 512-465-3000
Fax: 512-465-4129

We love hearing from our customers and value your feedback. Click here to take a short survey.

http://txdmv.gov/images/tagline/TSOS_final_email-signature.jpg

Discussion starter · #22 ·
I called the dealership back and informed them of what their own State DMV said and the manager started back peddling and blaming the salesman stating that the salesman didnt know, basically making excuses. When i asked if the vehicle was still available at the advertised price so i could get a check and head down there tomorrow to pick it up he said he would call me back in 5 minutes, that was 4 hours ago. Buyer beware of this dealership, i read some reviews of Allen Samuels Chrysler,Dodge, jeep in Fort Worth, Texas and at least half of them are negative.

Should be paying taxes for Texas sales tax and when you go to register/tag/title the vehicle they will compare what you paid in Texas vs Nebraska tax. If Texas (example only) is 7% and Nebraska is 10% than you will have to pay a difference of 3% when you registered/title/tag the vehicle in Nebraska.

I just did the same thing and this is what it came down too. When I went to gets tags/registration I had to pay a small amount in taxes because where I bought the vehicle had lower taxes vs where I lived and registered my FJ. I've always bought vehicles out of state and this is what they have done.

Should be paying taxes for Texas sales tax and when you go to register/tag/title the vehicle they will compare what you paid in Texas vs Nebraska tax. If Texas (example only) is 7% and Nebraska is 10% than you will have to pay a difference of 3% when you registered/title/tag the vehicle in Nebraska.

I just did the same thing and this is what it came down too. When I went to gets tags/registration I had to pay a small amount in taxes because where I bought the vehicle had lower taxes vs where I lived and registered my FJ. I've always bought vehicles out of state and this is what they have done.
Read the letter Texas DMV sent to him he just posted and it is spelled out clearly.
:blueblob::nerd No tax goes to Texas!!!! :nerd:blueblob:
(When bought out of state.)
Merely an exemption form, which covers his ass, and the dealers.

Tax to home state of vehicle registration.

Reactions: Bar3K
Read the letter Texas DMV sent to him he just posted and it is spelled out clearly.
:blueblob::nerd No tax goes to Texas!!!! :nerd:blueblob:
(When bought out of state.)
Merely an exemption form, which covers his ass, and the dealers.

Tax to home state of vehicle registration.
Hmm... Ok then lol

It's what I've had to do and just pay the difference where I live and tag the vehicle.

But good for OP, glad he got it figured out.

BTW just read the letter. I agree with him getting out of registering the vehicle in Texas of course but not paying sales tax is another thing. Like I said I've always had to pay taxes where I bought the vehicle and when I went to register where I lived I paid the difference in sales tax if their were any difference.

Maybe things are done different in Texas and maybe some things just don't come across. I agree he wouldn't pay registration as that's not where he plans to use the vehicle. But again sales tax is another thing. And like I said you usually just pay the difference where you live if there is a difference.

But forget what I said earlier then

Discussion starter · #26 · (Edited)
You only pay taxes in a non-resident state if you allow yourself to be lied to and railroaded and fail to stand your ground and or do your own research. I personally do not care to involve a middleman out of state in my personal tax responsibilities. #1 without fail a middleman always screws everything up resulting in nightmares getting issues resolved. #2 When i goto register the vehicle in my resident state, should they determine that i over paid taxes in texas, at a minimum my money wont be returned for several weeks while the state of residence studies the issue and then sends me a check via snail mail for a refund. #3 odds are 90% that the dealer will screw up something or fail completely in getting documents to the state of residence in a timely manner causing delay, or there will be some oversight or error on the paper work ultimately resulting in delays or overcharges to me that i will be forced to pay out of my pocket until i can fight with the dealship to correct them and get reimbursed. #4 By law you are allowed 30 days from date of purchase to register your new vehicle, however if you paid taxes at date of purchase your new tags will reflect the date of purchase, not the date you register the vehicle, meaning you effectively screw yourself out of one month if you keep the vehicle into the second year. #5 By telling you lies and forcing you to pay taxes at an out of state dealership, the dealer has effectively forced you to lose out on 30 days worth of interest you would have earned on those funds had they been left in your bank account. Simply put... The law clearly states that i do not pay taxes to a non resident state, why anyone would willingly pay taxes to an out of state dealer is beyond me.

There's a lot of people around here, in Washington, that bother to go to Idaho to an unnamed dealer in the town of Kellogg. People save thousands, this is a major deal and worth traveling to save. Everyone that does this also waits to pay tax until they get the vehicle back to WA state, where they then pay the taxes upon registering the vehicle. Lumping taxes and registration together always confuses some people. Essentially tax tag and title are not all the same thing. But get lumped together. So it gets confused often. When doing this transaction, a mere trip permit is needed, to legally drive your new truck or vehicle home from Idaho to Washington. Just an example, don't pay tax when not sure what you're paying!

Discussion starter · #28 · (Edited)
Hmm... Ok then lol

It's what I've had to do and just pay the difference where I live and tag the vehicle.

But good for OP, glad he got it figured out.

BTW just read the letter. I agree with him getting out of registering the vehicle in Texas of course but not paying sales tax is another thing. Like I said I've always had to pay taxes where I bought the vehicle and when I went to register where I lived I paid the difference in sales tax if their were any difference.

Maybe things are done different in Texas and maybe some things just don't come across. I agree he wouldn't pay registration as that's not where he plans to use the vehicle. But again sales tax is another thing. And like I said you usually just pay the difference where you live if there is a difference.

But forget what I said earlier then
Evidently you didnt comprehend what you read if you actually read the letter in its entirety. The law clearly states "SALES TAX EXEMPTION". You arent disagreeing with me, rather you are disagreeing with Texas state law.

of State. If the vehicle is to be transported immediately out of Texas for titling and registration, a motor vehicle sales tax exemption certificate Form 14-312 may be completed and signed by the buyer. To be a valid exemption, there must be no use of the vehicle in Texas other than the immediate transportation of the vehicle out of the state. This certificate should be furnished to the buyer and retained by the seller. The seller must also send a copy to the Comptroller’s office and then forward a copy of that correspondence to the purchaser. A copy of the form is available on page 7-7. The address the dealer would send the form to is:

P. O. Box 13003
Austin, Texas 78711-3003

I will state again in case you did not read the entire post, You have been forced to pay sales tax to a non-resident state on a motor vehicle purchase because you didnt do your home work and allowed that dealership to take your money and place themselves in the middle of your personal tax liability issues. The law is quite clear, so unless you are fool hearted with your money a dealer should not be allowed to dictate to you what your tax liabilities are at anytime. You have a responsibility to act in your own best interests and if you dont, thats your fault.

There's a lot of people around here, in Washington, that bother to go to Idaho to an unnamed dealer in the town of Kellogg. People save thousands, this is a major deal and worth traveling to save. Everyone that does this also waits to pay tax until they get the vehicle back to WA state, where they then pay the taxes upon registering the vehicle. Lumping taxes and registration together always confuses some people. Essentially tax tag and title are not all the same thing. But get lumped together. So it gets confused often. When doing this transaction, a mere trip permit is needed, to legally drive your new truck or vehicle home from Idaho to Washington. Just an example, don't pay tax when not sure what you're paying!
That's a good dealer. I went to school with a couple of the brothers in the owner's family. There are a lot of trucks and cars down this way with their markings on them too. They built a good business over the years.

Reactions: algonaman
BIGGUY, the only reason I didn't buy my Cummins truck from him is I got a lifetime oil change on it from my local dealer. I still feel like I got suckered price wise. Even considering how many dealers there are around me. Almost counter intuitive with competition of this many dealers. I think the dealers consort more than they compete. If I ever make that big a purchase again, I am going there after researching invoice prices etc.

Hope I get to buy at least one more new vehicle in my lifetime again.
Sorry way off topic and not intended to hi jack but hey, information of this sort is good to share.

That's a good dealer. I went to school with a couple of the brothers in the owner's family. There are a lot of trucks and cars down this way with their markings on them too. They built a good business over the years.
Good dealer, I believe they are being sold to Auto Nation though...hope it doesn't go south

Evidently you didnt comprehend what you read if you actually read the letter in its entirety. The law clearly states "SALES TAX EXEMPTION". You arent disagreeing with me, rather you are disagreeing with Texas state law.

P. O. Box 13003
Austin, Texas 78711-3003

I will state again in case you did not read the entire post, You have been forced to pay sales tax to a non-resident state on a motor vehicle purchase because you didnt do your home work and allowed that dealership to take your money and place themselves in the middle of your personal tax liability issues. The law is quite clear, so unless you are fool hearted with your money a dealer should not be allowed to dictate to you what your tax liabilities are at anytime. You have a responsibility to act in your own best interests and if you dont, thats your fault.

In some cases, the dealership where you buy the car will collect your state's sales tax and then pass it along to your home state. However, keep careful records that show you paid the tax to avoid having to pay it a second time when you register the car.

Link ------>>>https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-buy-a-car-from-a-dealer-in-a-different-state

This is basically what I was trying to point out earlier. They would collect taxes but of course when you went to register the dealer would report what you paid in taxes and you would show your receipt and purchase of paying taxes. I don't think they were trying to screw you over at all. And this is what they have always done for me. I understand your concern but I do not think you would have ended up paying twice in taxes.

Reactions: WebSnyper
BIGGUY, the only reason I didn't buy my Cummins truck from him is I got a lifetime oil change on it from my local dealer. I still feel like I got suckered price wise. Even considering how many dealers there are around me. Almost counter intuitive with competition of this many dealers. I think the dealers consort more than they compete. If I ever make that big a purchase again, I am going there after researching invoice prices etc.

Hope I get to buy at least one more new vehicle in my lifetime again.
Sorry way off topic and not intended to hi jack but hey, information of this sort is good to share.
Good dealer, I believe they are being sold to Auto Nation though...hope it doesn't go south
A guy I knew down here had an oil/gas field business and ran the Dodge trucks for his crew and replaced them every couple of years. He usually bought local and my step brother was working for him at the time and told him to check them out. He did and the price was like $6000 per truck difference and he was buying 6 trucks. The local dealer wouldn't budge on price so he bought them up there. The next time he went to replace them the local dealer was within $1000 per truck so he went ahead and dealt with him again.

I hadn't heard that they were thinking of selling. I don't hear a lot of news from up that way anymore as I've lost touch with family and friends over the years with deaths and whatnot.

Discussion starter · #34 · (Edited)
Again im not saying it is illegal for a dealer to do that, and they will certainly try to force you or coerce you into doing exactly that if you do not know the law. Your tax obligations are to your State of residence, NOT to the State where you purchased the vehicle and most certainly not to the dealership.
If you do your research im certain you will find that every State has the exact same Sales Tax Exemption just for this reason. If a person allows a dealer to meddle in their personal tax responsibilities they most certainly will interject themselves into your business, after all im quite certain those extra thousands of dollars going through the dealerships books annually reflect well on the dealership. If you wish to allow the dealer to meddle in your personal affairs by all means let them dictate to you when and where to pay your taxes.
I on the other hand do not allow a car dealership to act as if it is a tax collection agency and dictate to me when and where i will pay my taxes effectively screwing me out of interest i could have earned on those dollars had they remained untouched for that 1 month period of time every state allows for a new vehicle purchase prior to registering said vehicle. Allowing a dealership to do that is nothing more than being lazy and fool hearty with your personal finances.

This is basically what I was trying to point out earlier. .

For the third time you might want to read the quote from the DMV

Trolling again?

Seriously? Trolling? How many have I been around here and posted. Get a life!

Second as I've been trying to say and obviously everyone has their blinders on, example: you pay Texas sales tax, when you get your sales sheet "before" you pay and after you've paid make sure it shows the tax amount you have paid. The dealer in Texas will report to Nebraska what you have paid in taxes and that will be handed over and plus you have you sales sheet and receipt of payment.

OP needs to understand that obviously I understand his little tax excempt paper but still what I'm saying is the same. Your paying the tax either way and that will get reported - so there forth you won't be overpaying.

I simply do not think the dealer was trying to pull off a tax on OP to get more money outta him and then for the OP to simply pay tax a second time - complete bat **** stupid. Dealers are shady and dirty as hell but nah not this.

And btw Bar3k are you like correction or trolling dog around here? Simply you came on here to call someone out and that's all? Seriously. I've made many post on the forums here and I've been cool with most. But I've never once trolled on here. You need to get your name calling under control and rudeness. Check your facts out and loosen your collar. To call someone out for trolling on a forum is some big words. I simply stated truth that seems to be ignored simply because OP can't admit it and it's better to make the dealer look like crap.

Reactions: WebSnyper
Discussion starter · #38 ·
Seriously? Trolling? How many have I been around here and posted. Get a life!

Second as I've been trying to say and obviously everyone has their blinders on, example: you pay Texas sales tax, when you get your sales sheet "before" you pay and after you've paid make sure it shows the tax amount you have paid. The dealer in Texas will report to Nebraska what you have paid in taxes and that will be handed over and plus you have you sales sheet and receipt of payment.

OP needs to understand that obviously I understand his little tax excempt paper but still what I'm saying is the same. Your paying the tax either way and that will get reported - so there forth you won't be overpaying.

I simply do not think the dealer was trying to pull off a tax on OP to get more money outta him and then for the OP to simply pay tax a second time - complete bat **** stupid. Dealers are shady and dirty as hell but nah not this.

And btw Bar3k are you like correction or trolling dog around here? Simply you came on here to call someone out and that's all? Seriously. I've made many post on the forums here and I've been cool with most. But I've never once trolled on here. You need to get your name calling under control and rudeness. Check your facts out and loosen your collar. To call someone out for trolling on a forum is some big words. I simply stated truth that seems to be ignored simply because OP can't admit it and it's better to make the dealer look like crap.

Once again to clarify, why would you pay taxes to someone who has no business collecting said tax from you to begin with since you are buying a vehicle in a non-resident state? By doing so you are only complicating matters for yourself and risking delays, fraud, or other issues by involving a third party to handle your tax obligation, not to mention giving away your hard earned money a month sooner than required by law, effectively costing you a months worth of interest on your money. That may be ok for someone who does not have sufficient funds to pay for a vehicle and they need to finance both the vehicle purchase price as well as the taxes, however thats not the case in this instance. No one is ignoring anything, the law is quite clear as stated in the Texas DMV letter i posted in regards to non-resident purchases of a motor vehicle. That said your arguement really has no merit because no one in their right mind wants to give money away sooner than the law requires them to do so and certainly not to someone that the law does not require them to pay taxes to in the first place. :nerd Lastly the dealerships do not process that tax paperwork and funds for free, they charge documentation fees ect... so again paying your taxes to a non-resident state is foolishness at best.

I ordered my 11 TTSE in Toyota distributor in Florida. Because that was the time when you can't find it on the dealership. Not even on the website. The Florida distributor called Japan right away after the tsunami and confirmed that they only got 7 but 4 are pre sold.

They said they can not deliver it in Maryland because it is out of there jurisdiction. That said they can deliver it to North Carolina Toyota dealership because that is the farthest dealership in there jurisdiction.

Paid the taxes in North Carolina and they cut me a check for the refund of taxes and TAG. Don't forget that they charged you for tax, TAG and processing fee.

Then paid the taxes and tag in Maryland after a month when I registered it.

Ahh I would just like to say....Doug M. hope you find the FJ you like ...good luck in your search..that is after all the most important aspect of this whole thing....

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.