Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
トヨタ Master
5,765 Posts
Nice write up, nice build! Gotta love those Army Greens. I also enjoy the comic relief you provide to keep the reader engaged. Thread sub'd!

I wanted to touch on your plywood woes a little. I went through about 2 sheets when building my tonneau cover for my Tundra before I realized that 3/4 birch is so much harder, more rigid, and easier to have precision with than typical plywood. It costed me about $104 at Menard's but in the end it was worth it to have something that simply doesn't budge. I also sanded, primered, and Hurculined it to keep moisture at bay. It came out so strong that I could carry a 650# Yamaha Grizzly 450 on top of it from to Montana and back without issues.

Keep up the good work! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Birch, huh? Next time I build some boxes I'll use that instead. Thanks!

·
トヨタ Master
5,765 Posts
Yeah, I don't know if mine was Baltic per se, but it was a very fine quality. The best plywood I've ever seen, not that I'm a manufactured wood connoisseur. :grin

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
In about two weeks I'll be in a position to order the suspension I want. I just have to nail down what that suspension is. I don't see going rock crawling or climbing walls like some members here. My interest lies in going all Ansel Adams in the countryside. I want to get remote, shoot some of my trademark brilliant shots and get back. Because of all the camera gear, Baja running isn't in the cards either. I really believe that for what I'm going to be doing, a suspension kit in the $2k range will be perfect. But which one? I keep coming back to the OME Nitrocharger kit or the Boss Performance kit. My plan was to buy everything I want all at once and put it to use. Bumper, suspension, tires, winch, cb and ham. We have a bit of heavy lifting/pulling coming up in the next year so bumper and winch will come in handy. Technically, I could blow off the suspension, go with the front end stuff and tires then just live with the sagging front end for a while until I get the scratch together for suspension. But I really want to do the suspension because then I ......um.....well, just because. All the cool kids have them.
Another option would be to do the suspension then do a hidden winch mount with the stock bumper. I think that would be a perfectly acceptable compromise for a while. What that says to me is that if I do the OME, I'll probably want to go with stiffer front springs and live with a stiff ride until I get the weight of the bumper. But with the Boss suspension, I'm led to believe that the adjustablility of the system will work in the long run. It's more money but the ability to adjust it to compensate for different accessories is very attractive. I'm a fan of the "spend the money once and enjoy" instead of buying upgrade after upgrade. I bought cheap derailleurs once. That was money wasted.
So I have to decide between OME and Toytec. It's come down to those two because OME has been around for ev er and has a good reputation for durability. Their logo is an ostrich and that is pretty cool. Toytec is relatively new to me but members here run them hard and have few complaints. I talk myself into one system and am happy with my decision. For about three days, then I talk myself into the other. I have a feeling that I'd be happy with which ever one I do end up ordering. I even posed the question to Toytec and they said something similar. They brought up the adjustable aspect but aside from that, either one will be great for me. Since no one is going to tell me which one I'll like more, I have to come up with a decision. The bad thing is I'll always wonder if the other one would have been better. I do that with everything though. Got the 5D mark IV but should I have gotten the 5DS R? I mean, the file size....wowuh! I went to Puerto Rico and had a great time but should I have gone to Costa Rica instead? I made a great fountain pen but should it have been a ball point? I bought the blue milk but should I have gotten the red milk? I woke up and scratched but should I have rubbed instead? Well, you get the idea.
My givens will be a full set of Ricochet skids, my drawers and tools, a winch and ARB bumper. Possibly I'll trade out the rear for something like an Expedition 1. OR I get none of it and just spend the money on good scotch. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Boss suspension because of it's adjustable. That gives me some wiggle room in installation of heavy things up front. Plus, the springs are red and red springs are cool. On the other hand, I've wanted OME since the Montero. Ugh, adulting is hard!

·
トヨタ Master
5,765 Posts
I doubt you really need any of that stuff to go do what you do. A-Trac and a set of really good tires can make a huge difference on an otherwise stock FJ.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Why dont you pack the pig up and make the trek to Moab this summer there is plenty for you to do taking pics or what ever and you then could see and maybe even drive some FJs that have different suspension set ups . I know Thorn Runs the BP-51 , i run Radflo , Iconic runs Kings , and so on . One thing for you to think about though is getting a set of Whatever Brand but a set that is rebuildable .

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Why dont you pack the pig up and make the trek to Moab this summer there is plenty for you to do taking pics or what ever and you then could see and maybe even drive some FJs that have different suspension set ups . I know Thorn Runs the BP-51 , i run Radflo , Iconic runs Kings , and so on . One thing for you to think about though is getting a set of Whatever Brand but a set that is rebuildable .
Now that is a really good idea! I hadn't considered something so simple.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I doubt you really need any of that stuff to go do what you do. A-Trac and a set of really good tires can make a huge difference on an otherwise stock FJ.
I have BFG's now but they are getting a little short in the tooth so I've been looking at some Treadwright MT's. It seems pretty hit or miss as to balancing but I'm really curious. I agree that I don't need anything but tires to do most of the things I do. Want is a whole other conversation though. The winch is an exception. A winch would have made a few things at the ranch much easier to do. Then it starts to snowball....:) Over the next few years there will be some moving, raising and just plain dragging that will be easier if one of us has a winch.

Part of my "wants" stems from liking the look of a lifted FJ with 285's and stock rims. Well, that's a pretty big part of my problem. The other part consists of, well, I've been trying to come up with a legitimate additional reason and I can't. The ground clearance comes from the tires so the suspension lift only comes into play with tires larger than 285's. Unsprung weight control? That's a possible legitimate reason to change out suspension.

le sigh.... I do appreciate the input! Seriously, I do.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts