Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Treadwright tire ongoing review

First of all, these tires will be kind of wasted on me. I don’t get too far off road yet or that often. I could have bought some BFG’s and been wildly happy for the rest of my days. Most of my dirt excursions will be on mostly flat, sandy clay soil which will be mostly dry but sometimes there’ll be standing water. Once a year I’m going to hit a national park to burn some “film” and I don’t expect those trails to be too terribly lumpy. Even if they are sections of lumpy, I am confident the BFG’s can handle them. I’ve had them before and they are excellent tires for me.

Second, this is my daily driver. Part of my soul cringes at the thought of subjecting these tires to my humdrum life. They were created with dreams of rugged mountain tracks and crossing Caucasian steppes amid gale force winds and snow flurries. But they got stuck with me. Boringly going from work to other work to home to work again. Sometimes I’ll get off of the beaten track and go to the grocery store. My weekly off road endeavor is at the ranch where I get to exercise the front diff and the locker. Don’t get mislead - there’s not a rock on those 30 acres. It is dirt so I call it off road.

That all being said - I chose these tires because they have an aggressive pattern and fit my budget perfectly. I wanted an aggressive, knobby tire that screamed “I’m in the wrong environment!” when parked in the garage at work. I’ve always wanted big meaty tires.

I’m a child but I accept that. Doing the research I found the tires are pretty hit and miss in terms of being able to balance them out. But you know what? No, not that. What I’m getting at is that I didn’t find a single comment about the tread separating. People complained about not being able to get them balanced but I don’t remember anyone saying anything about them failing. I also chose them because I’m a sucker for an underdog.

In doing my homework, the Treadwright process seems pretty competent. They take a used tire and remove the old rubber, balance the casing, add new tread and sidewall rubber, check the balance again and out it goes, just like brand new. If you are curious, here’s the link to their process: How Does Retreading & Remolding Work | TreadWright Tires. There’s even a blue FJ on the title bar! Plus, they are made in the country: Houston! They moved from some place called “South Dakota” to Texas a few years ago. Another little bit of propaganda is that the Dept of Transportation has determined remanufactured tires and new tires have the same failure rate. So, obviously I’m sold on the concept and Treadwright seems to have the process down. I’m throwing the dice and going to see for myself. I’m really not expecting any problems with the tires, honestly. People here have had them and would buy them again if not for some reason or other.

Now, on to the important things - I bought the Mud Dawg tires in 285/75R16 to fit my current wheels. I’ve got a 2011 TTSE and I like the wheels so I’m making a compromise. Well, to my mind I am not really compromising because changing wheels involves back spacing, brake caliper clearances, body clearances and just general maths that I don’t do. Staying with the stock wheels eases things up in my head. Plus, the wheels are black and everyone knows black wheels are more fuel efficient. I ordered them off of their website and did not choose the warranty. I’m a rebel, Dotty. Pure anarchy here.

I blew off the warranty because I’m cheap and I’ve got a bunch of tire plugs. If the sidewall blows out then so be it. Anything short of that and I can take care of it myself. In my opinion, a blown sidewall is pretty far out of the picture. If something happens to the tires, it’ll most likely be my fault anyway and I’m willing to live with the consequences of my actions.

The tires were shipped to my house via fed ex. They were not in boxes or wrapped in waxed paper or anything. I don’t know why I was expecting them to be wrapped but there you go. I got 5 tires for about $900 bucks and that included shipping. When they arrived, I left work, scampered home to roll them inside. The piggo’s and I made some inspections of the new rubber and were satisfied that they were, in fact, tires. After that, they went back to bed and I went to work.

I’ve had a chance to give them a closer second look. I gotta say, they look good! Nice and round, good height and width, the lugs are muy aggressive. They aren’t as heavy as I was expecting - probably in the 60 pound range. I could do some googling and find out how much they really weigh but I’m nowhere near a computer right now…..

I’m waiting to get some spare time to get over to the tire putting on place to get them swapped out. At the same time I am planning on swapping out all of the old TPMS sensors as well. And with that - all of the original systems on the Toyota will be back to factory. 196K miles and the FJ is like new. What an incredible vehicle!

I managed to get all five tires into the FJ. That kind of surprised the tire guys.

After getting all of the tires out and stacking them at the changing station, he started to lift the FJ with a floor jack. One jack under the pumpkin to get the rear wheels off of the ground. He then grabbed another two jacks to lift the front. He got one side up and started on the other side when it slipped off the second jack. He then put one of the jacks under the front of the nerf bars, which worked.

At this point I was so excited I found myself in the shop over by the tire machine trying to help. This got the shop manager in a fluff about insurance or something. We ended up compromising with me standing outside the garage and not helping.

Something I noticed was that the new tires balanced out easily with less weight than the previous tires. I’m used to two or three applications of weights but these took no time at all. Maybe they have a better machine that I’ve seen before. Which is possible since I don’t work with a computer balancer every day or decade. The tires are round and the tread is true which is nice. Pre-installation I was very happy with my purchase.

Within a mile of the tire shop I got to test out the Emergency Stop abilities of the tires. The tires do a great job of bringing the FJ to a stop when I’m about to run a red light. The rest of the way home I paid attention and didn’t do anything stupid. I had the radio off and was listening for any odd noise. All I heard was the envy of everyone I drove past. I mean, my FJ looks pretty damn butch now!

Daily driving on the mean streets of Dallas isn’t exactly taking these tires to the extreme of their capabilities. However, that won’t stop me from espousing my opinion. Dry or wet, the tires grip well. The sidewalls seem stiff and the ride is not really any different than the original tires. I was worried about a loss of pinpoint control with more sidewall and big, blocky tread. But control is still great. With 285’s, I’m not hitting the wheel wells or the Rad Rubber splash guards. The only issue I’m having is that my right rear tire is inflated to 50 psi which makes that side of the roof rack rub against the parking garage. All the other tires are around 45 psi which allows me to just barely clear the ceiling. In fact, I’ve had to remove my awning to save it from being destroyed.

The other concern I almost had was road noise. I say “almost had” because I didn’t think about it until after they arrived. These tires are fairly quiet for mudders on the street. They are definitely louder than the BFG’s I had. At normal driving speeds here in town I can still easily hear the Boyz or NPR at the same volume pre-new tires. So far, I’m very, very pleased with the tires.

I’m hoping to get out to the ranch and play on my test hill this weekend to see how they do in wet clay. I’m expecting little to no wheel spin as compared to the old tires. It might even make the play hill completely unchallenging. Actually, I expect them to really highlight all the modifications I’ve done over the last month. Like the icing on a chocolate chunk brownie .

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Whats the nose level as far as road hum goes on the freeway?
I can only get up to around 45 through the school zones here. They are really short so I can only go so fast....I'll know this weekend - I've got some places to go and people to see.

·
トヨタ Master
6,348 Posts
Noise?

As far as not using the tires for intended purpose, I thought you were going to Moab and Summit this summer?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I am going to Moab. There are plans to go to an ORV park a few times before Moab to get an idea how far I'm comfortable pushing my limits. And, honestly, to show the gf how much better the FJ is than her heep. It's pretty easy to sit here, all nice and warm, and think "Shoot, I could do that better." while watching videos.
I also have alarms and reminders for when the Summit registration opens up. Mostly I was grousing about living in a concrete and asphalt mecca. Whining I guess you could call it.

·
トヨタ Master
6,348 Posts
Concrete jungle? That's why you have an FJ. So you can escape it. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Most brand new mud terrains make zero to minimal noise aka "hum". Give us a review how they are once you've had them for >10k miles ;)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I think it's been a couple of weeks with the new tires. Wow, I looked and it hasn't been "weeks" so much as "multiple days"....I'm amazed how fast I've acclimated to all of the changes. I was so impressed with the FJ when I bought it, so many miles and so few things to fix. Really the only thing that was really an issue was the tire with a bulge. Everything else was fine - even the broken things were inconsequential. The dead TPMS sensors? I've been driving without them for almost 40 years and have never died, not even once. The dead back up camera? Once I got to know where the vehicle was, I hardly even look at the screen. And what else?......The only thing I wish had been standard was the rear window opener.
As fabulous as the FJ is in stock TTSE form, and it is pretty damn great, my mild built has made it leaps and bounds better. The first thing to go on was the set of full skids. Then the big spend happened - suspension, bumper, winch and tires. I got to make all the changes in such a short time. It was almost like going from super bad ass to "lock up your sisters" overnight. Now that everything is installed I find myself thinking "I neeeeeeeed" again. But the major expenses are taken care of for a while. Probably.
There's one little hill that I've been using as a tester hill for me and the FJ. It's a place where multiple loads from a dump truck were dropped 15 years ago. It's small with closely spaced hillocks and steep sides. Over the years we've taken scoops out of it with the tractor so some of the sides are much more like 3' drop offs. For me, it's a good little refresher on not panicking on a 2.5 degree side slope. Of course, I got myself high centered. If you aren't falling you aren't learning.
With the stock suspension and tires i felt like we were about to tip over. After the new suspension and tires I felt so planted and secure. Even being almost 3" higher, the vehicle felt stable. Not even any wheel spin going over the drop off where I got stuck before. I did the 30 feet of lumps a few times being so amazed with how much better the vehicle dealt with being off camber and/or crossed up. I didn't even have the locker or ATRAC on where before I used both buttons to get stuck.
And mine isn't anywhere close to other peoples builds on the forums. My mind melts just thinking about what it must be like to see nothing but sky and feeling like I'm an astronaut awaiting take off. What kinds of things do 40" tires just roll over??? I pulled into the wrong parking lot, drove over a curb and up a berm to cross a field to get to the right place to be like it was nothing. Curb and immediate berm were conquered in 2Hi with such little effort. I'm getting so excited to hit Moab and see what real obstacles my FJ can get past.
This is the vehicle I've been dreaming about since 2005. I can't say it's been easy waiting or that the wait was worth it (I'd have been very happy getting the Voodoo Blue 5 speed manual in Dec '06 when I wanted to). But having one for not even a year has made me forget the other cars I drove in the interim. Every day when the garage door goes up and I see blocky tread, the lower A arms, the winch hook and skid plats, then the bumper, hood and so on, I get a smile.
For the next few weeks I'll be focusing on finishing up the electrical work on the toys. Plus, I still need to finish up the rear window mod. I want to clean up the cuts to the plastic and make it all pretty. I don't have the winch hooked to the battery yet because I don't like how the included fuse is close to metal things. Well, that and I still want to figure out how to put the winch on a switch. Something about a solenoid and a wire. I just want to make sure I'll have everything in working order for Moab and the Summit.
In the mean time, I've learned so much from reading the forums which helped me to build my ultimate FJ.

Before: stock and stuck

After: not stock and not stuck

·
トヨタ Master
6,348 Posts
" The dead TPMS sensors? I've been driving without them for almost 40 years and have never died, not even once." :LOL:

Funny you say that, I get people in the shop all the time worried that their tire light is on and wanting me to check the pressures. Most of the time one is low or a dead sensor battery etc. Sometimes the tires are visually flat. I ask if they noticed. They say "no, I just drove it straight here". I ask what they did with their cars before we had TPMS on autos. Most don't have a clue what I'm asking. "Remember back in the day when you were studying for your permit or driver's license, it says in the manual (I don't care what state you live in), to do a walk around of your vehicle and look at things like tires, check lights, wipers, etc.?" Most of them look at me like deer in the headlights. Check your automobiles out before you leave home, people. This isn't rocket science. :rolleyes:

41 - 51 of 51 Posts