Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about as off topic as a thread can get. My bones are sore from 60 NY winters. I'm recently retired and am sick of snow, road salt, dense population and high tax. I am researching a town called Wylie Texas on a recommendation from a friend. I have been all through it on Google maps and it looks flat and hot ! (yeah). Low crime (source Wikipedia), close to my daughter and grand kids in Dallas and I can rent a 3 bedroom house with a garage for my FJ for less than I'm paying for my crappy studio apartment in NY. Does anyone on here have any insider info as to quality of life in this general area.?
Thank you.
Larry

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
Was in Corpus Christi in the '60's, don't remember much. Here's something I read recently ?

Movin' to Texas

You'll be closer to MOAB, been wanting to go there even before the FJ!

Good luck with the move

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,992 Posts
I’ve driven all around that area but can’t remember actually going through Wylie, it’s close to Rockwall so I’m sure it’s nice. I’m not much on cities but I like DFW, especially Fort Worth and out around Lake Worth. Dallas itself is a nice city and pretty easy to navigate.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,135 Posts
My family lived in nearby Richardson for many years and I loved it there. Rolling hills, forests, lakes, mild winters, friendly people. Wylie is just east of it, and closer to to the lakes, great for cooling off in summer. While I have no specific memory of Wylie I’m sure I went through it at some point and it’s probably a typical Texas town with easy access to Dallas. I miss the Texas culture a lot, and from what I gather about you on the Forum, you’d probably really like it too ?

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
Stay East of Midland.
You will make up for those cold winters in one summer in Tx.
Sounds like a good move.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Just tell everybody you're from "N'aw Lins"... ?
Besides, you know "Texas" comes from the (indigenous) word for "friendly"(y)
D ?

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Shoot, you’ll do fine. Jess don’t tawk so fast. We don’t listen as quick as summadem Yankees.

There’s also Gun Barrel but it’s south of Wylie. Sort of on the way to Athens. It’s got a Starbucks now. There’s talk of naming the 47th chromosome after the locals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
For all practical purposes Wylie is essentially (though not officially) a suburb of Dallas and an extension of Plano. Plus, you've got extremely close access to 2 very large lakes, should that interest you. And being on the outskirts of the Metroplex you won't have to deal with all that wonderful city traffic, unless you choose to come into Dallas proper. I have a number of friends that have moved from the center of Dallas to Frisco, which is a little further out from the center of Dallas than Wylie, and I get together with them quite often so the commute into Dallas itself isn't a big deal, and you have the added benefit of having that smaller town feel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having lived for 6 yrs in San Antonio & worked in Wichita Falls for 7 & having a daughter in N Dallas, I have some familiarity with Texas. (I even have a honorary Texan certificate signed by GW Bush). No state income tax - yay! Property taxes are high - one of my coworkers had her property tax about the same as her mortgage payment. Move to Oklahoma when you retire - low state income and property tax when you are making less money.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had originally considered Ardmore Oklahoma as my destination. Great little town. Then I found out its the crime capital of Oklahoma !!! I guess they have gang and drug issues. Too bad its beautiful landscape.
Heres a pic of the real estate agents I dealt with.....
fullsizeoutput_959.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
The one thing I am curious about is my NY accent is worse than Joe Pesci. Wonder how that's gonna fly. :)
Oh you’ll get called a Yankee for sure but just roll with it. Your general leanings are more in line with most there.

I was born and raised below the Mason Dixon and get called that whenever I’m in the South.
Of course some folks in Louisiana, @Thorn661, say if you ain’t born South of I-10 your still a Yankee.

Did I mention that it’s hot??

·
Registered
467 Posts
Wylie is like any other suburb - it ain't NYC, but it also ain't rural. I did a "threat assessment" years back, considering things like growing season, hurricanes, tornadoes, nuclear plants, water access, native food sources, etc. I was looking for somewhere within driving distance of North Houston, but that was away from the interstate.

Dallas and environs are basically flatland with a few rolling hills cut by erosion more than raised by nearby mountains. Dallas is also eternally expanding, as is Houston and Austin, especially with influx from Cali and NY. My neighbors are from upstate NY, as example. I wanted somewhere within driving distance of Houston, as my kids are there primarily due to jobs available.

I went for East Texas pineywods. The forests are mixed unlike those to the west (primarily mesquite and live oak). There are myriad lakes and several rivers. Rabbits, deer, duck, dove, coon, bobcat and the ever-present wild hogs. Winters might get a little snow, but on the whole are very mild. Far enough inland for hurricanes to not do much other than rain. Rolling hills, so drainage and flooding present few problems outside of river bottoms. Interstate highways are an hour away, so no crush of idiots evacuating from the coast - yet the coast is 3 hours away. Nearest nuke is DFW, Tornadoes are limited due to the amount of trees, and relatively rare. More so now that we just had one here last year, the first one to do damage in 20 years in spite of the aberrant climate from no sunspots.

The final clincher for me was price - I bought 40 acres for $81,000. That's $2k.acre ten years ago. I did have to shop and wait to pounce on the parcel. You are just not going to find that within an hour of any metroplex.

It all depends on what you want. Pre-1950 frame houses in my county seat are going for between $35k and $80k in general. I had a lady friend leave Houston and she bought a 1500 sq/ft house, a 1000 sq/ft storefront with a 5000 sq ft barn on an acre of land 2 years ago - for $25,000 in the small town nearest me.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,992 Posts
Y
Oh you’ll get called a Yankee for sure but just roll with it. Your general leanings are more in line with most there.

I was born and raised below the Mason Dixon and get called that whenever I’m in the South.
Of course some folks in Louisiana, @Thorn661, say if you ain’t born South of I-10 your still a Yankee.

Did I mention that it’s hot??
Yep yankee ? it’s hot but at least when you get over around Tyler you start to get a drier climate. A year and half ago I was working between Talco and Jacksonville, I remember stopping for fuel in Tyler and it was 101. Now that sounds hot but it was great because it was dry, when I got out of my truck that evening at home it was 88 and felt like I had a humidifier blowing in my face.

You’ve been here in July, it’s like Satan’s armpit.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts