Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been looking at a few websites so that I can make a move myself and after looking at Wylie it's not bad. I live in a meth capital crawling with foreigners. You may get friendly teasing about your accent but I've never met anyone in the Texas who was outright hostile to a Yankee. You're welcome to come over. Our so called reps in the state capital have been looking at increasing the sales tax to ease the burden of school taxes on land owners. I agree with that move but I don't know if that comes with a reduction in property taxes or if they'll keep ripping people a new one with their absurd school taxes (corporations exempt of course).

I'm going to list some websites to help out too. I'll admit it's much easier for me to drive around on a weekend than it is for you so maybe this will help:

1. Wylie Crime Rates and Statistics - NeighborhoodScout
2. Map Of Texas Cities – List Of All Cities In TX

With those links you can look up demographics, schools, real estate, and you can an overview with neighborhood scout. I've been looking in the D/FW area as well as Austin for my own move. Area Vibes gives you the option to look up all cities in Texas with a bit of a different presentation. They rate cities with letter grades and I had to laugh at the D+ for both employment and crime where I live as it gets a solid F from me. What they do leave out are issues specific to that particular city. The cost of living where I'm at is much higher and it's rated wrong. We have some of the highest water bills and school taxes in the state so keep those in mind.

I'll admit that Oklahoma actually does a really good job keeping their roads clear but their taxes on income were pretty bad for me so I refused to move there when I worked there.Their gas prices were high to me too.

As Thorn661 stated, in July it's Satan's arm pit. In January you're fighting cold winds and icy roads. Tyler is also EXTREMELY religious and cliquish so I avoid that area.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have been looking at a few websites so that I can make a move myself and after looking at Wylie it's not bad. I live in a meth capital crawling with foreigners. You may get friendly teasing about your accent but I've never met anyone in the Texas who was outright hostile to a Yankee. You're welcome to come over. Our so called reps in the state capital have been looking at increasing the sales tax to ease the burden of school taxes on land owners. I agree with that move but I don't know if that comes with a reduction in property taxes or if they'll keep ripping people a new one with their absurd school taxes (corporations exempt of course).

I'm going to list some websites to help out too. I'll admit it's much easier for me to drive around on a weekend than it is for you so maybe this will help:

1. Wylie Crime Rates and Statistics - NeighborhoodScout
2. Map Of Texas Cities – List Of All Cities In TX

With those links you can look up demographics, schools, real estate, and you can an overview with neighborhood scout. I've been looking in the D/FW area as well as Austin for my own move. Area Vibes gives you the option to look up all cities in Texas with a bit of a different presentation. They rate cities with letter grades and I had to laugh at the D+ for both employment and crime where I live as it gets a solid F from me. What they do leave out are issues specific to that particular city. The cost of living where I'm at is much higher and it's rated wrong. We have some of the highest water bills and school taxes in the state so keep those in mind.

I'll admit that Oklahoma actually does a really good job keeping their roads clear but their taxes on income were pretty bad for me so I refused to move there when I worked there.Their gas prices were high to me too.

As Thorn661 stated, in July it's Satan's arm pit. In January you're fighting cold winds and icy roads. Tyler is also EXTREMELY religious and cliquish so I avoid that area.
Thank you! The links are really great! I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The great thing about Texas is there’s somewhere or something for everyone. I’m personally not familiar with Wylie, but north of Dallas is a popular area. And the positive thing about renting first, is you find out if you truly like the area before making the big commitment. Beyond all the helpful advice that’s already been given, I’d also check flood plains. While Dallas doesn’t flood anywhere near what Houston does, it is still something I’d look into. As most renters insurance doesn’t cover flooding. FEMA should have updated maps you can check on their website. Hope that helps, and welcome to Texas.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I've been through Wylie, but I currently live in the middle of D & FW in a town called Arlington. It's beginning to turn into a gangsters paradise.
That area of the metroplex is nice though, although it's getting more crowded.
I will be retiring in a few years and I'm looking for somewhere near a lake or river, now I'm going to have to consider Wylie. I'm trying to talk the wife into the Hill Country, but it's too far from our kids, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Very happy to announce my arrival in Wylie Texas. Been here a week ,couldn't be happier. Great apartment , garage, brand new complex. Lake area is beautiful. People here are really nice. Need a little adjusting to people saying hello and good morning!!
In NY the morning greeting is F*ck off or eat sh*t.
Thanks to all who commented in this thread. You were all very helpful .

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Very happy to announce my arrival in Wylie Texas. Been here a week ,couldn't be happier. Great apartment , garage, brand new complex. Lake area is beautiful. People here are really nice. Need a little adjusting to people saying hello and good morning!!
In NY the morning greeting is F*ck off or eat sh*t.
Thanks to all who commented in this thread. You were all very helpful .
Well now you need to discover Texas by hitting up the Lone Star Toyota Jamboree at the end of April. Toyota Jamboree | Texas premiere toyota offroad event
It's a huge Toyota event with wheeling, camping, food and vendors.
Welcome to the area!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts