Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been planning this trip for a while and I finally have all my ducks in a row. On February 7, 2011 we will be heading out in our stock 2007 FJ and cruising the Gulf Coast all the way down to Key West. Along the way I have an uncle on the West Coast that I plan to visit before going on. At Key West we intend to do a day trip across to the Dry Tortugas.

We have a small boat that should make the trip with us but it is not suitable for offshore. We are hoping to catch up with the manatees in Crystal River and may leave the boat with my relatives as we continue on the trip to the keys.

Any suggestions or ideas on 'must see' or 'must do' things along this route would be appreciated since I have never really gotten past the area of Clearwater.

We may also camp along the way in a tent so any info along those lines would be useful as well.

Ideas on what to take and what to leave would be welcome. Along the way we plan to update our progress and upload pictures as time allows. We are looking forward to a great trip and hopefully we will get some suggestions that make it easier and more fun.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Somewhat native Key Wester
Sloppy Joes for a brew.. There used to be a place called the Half Shell Raw bar if you like oysters. Ernest Hemmingways home is interesting in Key West. Theres a place off Duval street that makes sandals. I had them the whole time I lived there. You should probably try to go diving/snorkeling at the Seven Mile Reef . There's a old light house there. We climbed the supports and actually climbed the stairs to the top, when I was young. Probably could have gotten into lots of trouble for it. That's all I got . Its been a while since I was there.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
The Raw Bar is still there and still known for oysters. Certainly get out on a snorkel or dive trip to the reef. Great music at the Green Parrot, if you like blues. I reccomend taking either the trolley or the Conch train tour of the island. You will see a lot and get some history of the island. THen you can go back and see up close and personal the things you choose.

There is always something to see along the harbor. Duval Street is the main drag, and very often a zoo. Mel Fischer Museum is a cool place. I was fortunate enough to hang out with Mel a couple times before his death, he was an amazing man to say the least. Margaritaville is a cool place, get a drink there, avoid the food.

If you like fish, go to the Conch Republic Seafood Company on the harbor and order Hogfish, best fish you'll ever eat. Harpoon Harry's for breakfast. Cafe Con Leche is the coffe of choice for most, great place next to the plumbing suppy on White St.

By far the best thig to do in Key West is to just kick back and relax. The beaches are nothing to brag about, but the water is amazing. Charter a boat and have them take you to the Marquesas. They are about 30 miles west of KW. Beautiful!!

BTW, I lived in KW (actually 3 islands up, Big Coppitt Key, on the gulf. KW is "town") from 95-05 and if home is where the sould is, KW is home.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
If and when you come south thru Clearwater... on your way south to Key West...Give me a shout... WIKID and NCFJ...they obviously are familiar with all the best places to visit and see! I confirm what they speak. :rocker: :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts