61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Are you guys doing it again this year?
Nothing has been set up yet, but I really want to start at Sea Rim State Park and work my way toward Galveston. That should be an all day trip, I'm thinking.
I looked at the satellite view on Google maps, it looks doable :D
I'm going to try to take some time off to visit family in Houston and throw in an extra day to do this trip. June or July maybe?

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,990 Posts
Nothing has been set up yet, but I really want to start at Sea Rim State Park and work my way toward Galveston. That should be an all day trip, I'm thinking.
I looked at the satellite view on Google maps, it looks doable :D
I'm going to try to take some time off to visit family in Houston and throw in an extra day to do this trip. June or July maybe?
Tides have been extremely high as of late and bear in mind the flooding that just occurred, don't be surprised if you find some beach washed away. Also be wary with all this water of dark colored sand, it's an indicator of liquefaction or patches of so called quick sand. A patch of that stuff and your up to doors within moments, ask me how I know.:wink

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Tides have been extremely high as of late and bear in mind the flooding that just occurred, don't be surprised if you find some beach washed away. Also be wary with all this water of dark colored sand, it's an indicator of liquefaction or patches of so called quick sand. A patch of that stuff and your up to doors within moments, ask me how I know.:wink
Yup, I was on the phone with family last night. Lots of rain in that area.

So, How do you know? lol
that sucks man, hopefully it wasn't too tragic!

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,990 Posts
Yup, I was on the phone with family last night. Lots of rain in that area.

So, How do you know? lol
that sucks man, hopefully it wasn't too tragic!
People run into the stuff all time from Cameron to Sabine Pass, just gotta learn how to spot the stuff and I've seen several struggle to get free before the tide.

I personally had a run in with liquefaction at a river near my house called the Ouiska Chitto. I was a on a large sand bar near the creek and the bottom fell out, when I stepped out of the FJ it was on the frame and I sunk up to my hips. I had to winch to a log in the middle of the creek to get on solid sand so I could turn and come out, a little water in the rear door but no damage and all fluids were free of water.
I got trashed after that. :rocker:

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
People run into the stuff all time from Cameron to Sabine Pass, just gotta learn how to spot the stuff and I've seen several struggle to get free before the tide.

I personally had a run in with liquefaction at a river near my house called the Ouiska Chitto. I was a on a large sand bar near the creek and the bottom fell out, when I stepped out of the FJ it was on the frame and I sunk up to my hips. I had to winch to a log in the middle of the creek to get on solid sand so I could turn and come out, a little water in the rear door but no damage and all fluids were free of water.
I got trashed after that. :rocker:
Damn, that's a heck of a story!
I'll go with someone more familiar with the area next run then. Wanna lead the run someday?

Yeah, I didn't see you there. Next time :)
Nope, no summit for me this year. Someday hopefully.
We ended up staying at ArkLaTex camp. Had a blast running the trails.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,990 Posts
Damn, that's a heck of a story!
I'll go with someone more familiar with the area next run then. Wanna lead the run someday?

Yeah, I didn't see you there. Next time :)
Nope, no summit for me this year. Someday hopefully.
We ended up staying at ArkLaTex camp. Had a blast running the trails.
Yea I saw Ed a few times and helped him repair his lower link. Wish I would've made it over to your camp, we could've toked on some nice cigars.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Anyone going to run some trails in north central Texas soon?

61 - 70 of 70 Posts