Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are getting pretty wild west of me; my county ARES/RACES has been called-up and we're being deployed, the first time ever (for me) for anything other than storm spotting. Put my best ham radio and all my recovery and emergency gear back into Big Blue, ready to head out. I don't know of many forum members west of me; Dale and Cody are both to the southwest - I hope they're OK.

·
Cool Breeze
517 Posts
These are getting pretty wild west of me; my county ARES/RACES has been called-up and we're being deployed, the first time ever (for me) for anything other than storm spotting. Put my best ham radio and all my recovery and emergency gear back in Big Blue, ready to head out. I don't know of many forum members west of me; Dale and Cody are both to the southwest - I hope they're OK.
Be careful & stay safe!!!
I was just watching the news...we need to pray for some rain!!!

Melissa

·
Registered
81 Posts
Stay safe my friend! Praying for rain.

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
Stay safe Lee. If you need any help give me a shout. Do you guys need any MRE's? I have a few extra cases.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
These are getting pretty wild west of me; my county ARES/RACES has been called-up and we're being deployed, the first time ever (for me) for anything other than storm spotting. Put my best ham radio and all my recovery and emergency gear back into Big Blue, ready to head out. I don't know of many forum members west of me; Dale and Cody are both to the southwest - I hope they're OK.
Lee,

Thanks for checking on us... We drove up to Buffalo Gap from Del Rio Saturday. Lots of smoke all the way. When we got between San Angelo and Bronte the fire was less than a mile west of us. In Bronte ash was falling on us. Luckily, the fires were pretty well contained by Sunday morning.

Stay safe!

dale

·
fka fatbrat40
2,488 Posts
We have had numerous fires out here, south of Midland there where 34 homes
destroyed a week ago, alot of fires out around Andrews, tonight a grass fire
west of Midland in the gardendale area.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Thanks for volunteering and stay safe Lee!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I just talked to a buddy of mine who has a 2 million dollar lake house on Possum Kingdom Lake and the fires are within a mile of his house. They won't let anyone into the development to retrieve valuables from the houses, which kind of sucks. I was in West Yellowstone in 1988 when the massive fires in Yellowstone Park were going on. They wound up burning close to 800,000 acres of the park. It was something to see. Some days it looked like an atomic bomb had gone off.

Jim

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
That's an awful lot to deal with.
Sounds like this is/will be the worst wildfire season for Texas, ever.
Hope y'all are safe and get some rain.

·
Registered
839 Posts
One of my son-in-laws is a lieutenant with the Weatherford FD and he is on his 2nd day of a 3 day stint working the Possum Kingdom area. Last night when he called my daughter he was going to get about an hour of rest and then go back trying to protect structures. A volunteer with Eastland died the other day. From what I understand their firetruck got caught and began to burn and they had to abandon it. The smoke made visibility pretty bad and they got split up. When they found him they thought smoke inhalation got him but it turned out to be blunt trauma so now they think someone ran into him when they couldn't see him on the road and they panicked. From what I understand they are arresting folks who refuse to leave because of the risk and the man power being used to try to rescue them.

So all of you who are helping stay safe and you're in our prayers.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I just talked to a buddy of mine who has a 2 million dollar lake house on Possum Kingdom Lake and the fires are within a mile of his house. They won't let anyone into the development to retrieve valuables from the houses, which kind of sucks. I was in West Yellowstone in 1988 when the massive fires in Yellowstone Park were going on. They wound up burning close to 800,000 acres of the park. It was something to see. Some days it looked like an atomic bomb had gone off.

Jim
My aunt, who just lost her husband is worried about her place on PK. I hope the get this under control soon. Unfortunately, the winds are not helping a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
You're probably not going to see this, Lee (unless you're manning a static location with wi-fi & have the time to check in), but take care of yourself, man.

You have my number should you need anything, don't hesitate to call. Repeating this via text...

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
1,510,312 acres!!

Holy [email protected]! The 17 Texas wildfires which are currently listed on InciWeb (of course, there are more) cover a combined total of 1,510,312 acres. Un-freakin real.

Here's the 'CURRENT TEXAS WILDFIRE SITUATION' page on the Texas Forest Service website.

So, are people setting the fires down there like up here too, or are some of these 'natural'?

Again, I hope you guys are all safe, etc.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Thanks for the link. My nephew's place is in Strawn and his brother and dad both work for the Strawn water department (so they are helping out) and from what I understand his wife evacuated for a while, is back at home but will probably evacuate again. The area around there had just recovered from some pretty bad fires a couple of years ago. Not good for their possessions, home, horses, cattle etc.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I got an email today from my dept which is about 9 hours South of you Lee that they are creating "strike teams" for our deuce and a halves (Army Brush Trucks) for wildfire response out for those West TX fires going on, if I head that way I'll give you a holler, stay safe my friend

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
All these fires make me miss being on a fire dept. Our family in Scurry and Andrews counties have kept us updated about the ones close the them. Scurry did fine but the ones in Andrews are still keeping an eye out. My wifes uncle runs a good number of production rigs out that way and he's been busy checking on their interests. Quite a mess.

Lee stay safe and it's awesome that you can help out.

Here in Bexar County, county fire alarm announced this morning that all reported grass/brush/woods fires will get automatic 2nd and 3rd due mutual aid depending on initial caller report for the forseeable future.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts