Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I owe so much to this forum for the posted advice, pictures and suggestions shared with other members.

Electronics upgrades
First step: I read, re-read, and then committed to memory all of @Greggry’s comments on the FJ’s electrical system. This is a must read IMO. What you need to know about your FJ's electrical system (read before doing mods)

Second: I pretty much copied @101Firedog’s advice for the Cabin Wiring Harnesses and Electric Upgrade (the big 5 cables and 2150 battery). 101Firedog's fire dog: ARCA9

Third step: I followed @Winterpeg’s Mean Green alternator upgrade. Mean Green high output alt = bigger fuse?

Fourth: I replaced the fuse as described by @FinnJ; Alternator Voltage Booster. Alternator voltage? It works great!

Fifth: As I was working all electronics first, I then followed @SwissArmySUV’s method to prepare my DRLs to be switched. ADDING A SWITCH TO THE DRL's (Swiss Method)

Sixth: I really wanted to preserve a factory look for switches, so in the end I ordered a complete set of switches I found on Ebay. The labels were not exactly what I wanted, and the combinations of upper/lower switches were not perfect, which is why I ordered the entire set. After tinkering around, I figured out how to take the switches apart and the pair the switches to the best fit for my needs. Here are the switches I ordered: Driving Push Switch Dual LED Light Bar Push Button fit for Toyota Prado RAV4 | eBay

Exterior upgrades:
A huge shout out to Ryan at Expedition One. He was patient and explained on the phone what he did with his FJ, and took the time to customize my order so I picked up exactly what I wanted. We ordered the WyoOtto front bumper and the new Trail Series Dual Swing rear bumper (with the ladder attachment and Hi-Lift mount). Ryan helped me choose and we also ordered the Baja Designs (58-7806) Squadron Sport 3" x 3" Work / Scene/ Flood - backup lights, BD (58-7803) Squadron Sport, Pair -Driving/Combo LED, and BD LP6 Pro driving – Combo lights. Finally, we chose the ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5rsi & Wireless built- in and gray UltraHook.

I wanted a rock slider with a bump-out and a small step, so I went with Rocky Road Outfitter Kicker Rock Sliders, which I REALLY like. Rockrails, rock sliders, Step Rail kits: Rock Slider kits for any vehicle, Jeep, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc, etc...

I had all my metal, lights and winch delivered to the local shop here in town who (to my huge relief) agreed to perform the installation of the bumpers. After all the metal was professionally coated with Line-X (at a third party business), the installation shop was the best investment I made. Although we took extra effort to identify where not to apply the coating – to make sure all the bumper pieces fit as designed - this Line-X shop delivered the bumpers with everything metal 100% coated – which included all pre-drilled mounting holes. The installation shop was fantastic we they worked through this setback and yet made everything fit and look amazingly professional. The lights and winch were all mounted; thereafter, I finished the electrical installation and tied everything into my pre-installed wiring. I also wired the switches for my upcoming roof mods (Phase two).

Suspension and wheels
After consultation with the forum comparison threats, and reading all the comments, I decided to call Resz Fab. Mike was great to talk with, and he agreed to help with the purchase of Resz Fab Stage 4 lift kit (with four RadFlo 2.5 remotes), Nitro Gear UCAs and ReszFab’s complete rear link set. To finish up the set up, and accomodate all the extra weight, I ordered Metal Tech Long Travel (Heavy) coil springs. As the installation shop was working through our Line-X issues, they worked into sequence the installation of the new suspension as the delayed ReszFab components arrived. In the end, everything turned out amazing.

The forum again assisted in helping me choose the tires, and in the end (mostly in part of their amazing customer service) I went to Discount Tires and purchased new BF Goodrich KM3 MT 285/70 17 tires and their suggested off road rims.

After mounting, I discovered a slight tire rub (especially when backing with the wheels turned full left), so I followed @Wikd’s Body Mount Chop suggestions Body Mount Chop and added Rad Rubber’s Fender Flaps as suggested by @gtripi’s post: Rad Rubber FJ Fender Flaps?

While at it, I also mounted RR’s Engine Splash Guards, and the whole wheel well looks great now.

After driving no more than five miles, I did discover a CV boot seepage on both sides. The boots were fine, and it looks like the (new) slightly different angle was more than the stock clamps could handle. I followed @bandi’s advice and installed the hose clamps he recommended. Issue solved instantly, with no such recurrence: CV Boot seeping Grease ? SIMPLE FIX !...

Final small mods
I followed the post of @wesayso to wire the rear window and door unlock switch Rear Window Switch Revisited but elected to place my switch in the same place as proposed by @BOPOH in post #82. The pictures and description by @kshapi for Opening Rear Door from Inside were perfect for me, and this mod went smoothly. Opening rear door and window from inside Mods

As a note, I went through three PAC TR-7 modules, and tried without any luck, to try @joshjack’s mod to use the OEM key fob. Rear Window Release from OEM Keyfob mod It just never worked. Maybe it was the Amazon supplied PAC modules, but one never programmed, one started to program then failed with a burning smell, and the third (finally) programmed, but never EVER did trigger to open the rear window. In the end, I was content with the simpler set up with the switch mounted in the corner of the rear door.

Overall, I couldn't be happier. This rig feels new and drives better off road than I could've ever imagined.
This is a huge improvement from its original state... and most of what I accomplished is due completely to the shared experience in this forum.
I look forward to seeing you out there on the trails.

Big-3 upgrade.jpg
Front right.jpg
Front.jpg
Left side.jpg
New UCAs.jpg
Rear open_.jpg
Right.jpg
Switches1.jpg
Switches2.jpg

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
NM Cruiser,
I just found/ordered those same dual switches!!!:D(y) (great minds...?) w/ same idea, swap the covers to fit my needs.
I installed the Chitown 4x4 rear window kit in both my '11 & my "new" '07; I think it's an indispensable mod.
I think it would work w/ your rear set-up (?). I love it and for camping would be great. I haven't gotten around to adding a rear hatch switches for 'em yet, but on the "to do" list. Great looking rig and fantastic upgrades/mods!

D??

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
That's about as thorough and helpful a build write-up as I can recall. Excellent job and you've probably saved a lot of people a GREAT deal of time with respect to researching options they may be considering.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NM Cruiser,
I just found/ordered those same dual switches!!!:D(y) (great minds...?) w/ same idea, swap the covers to fit my needs.
I installed the Chitown 4x4 rear window kit in both my '11 & my "new" '07; I think it's an indispensable mod.
I think it would work w/ your rear set-up (?). I love it and for camping would be great. I haven't gotten around to adding a rear hatch switches for 'em yet, but on the "to do" list. Great looking rig and fantastic upgrades/mods!

D??
Thanks rev. 3.11
I'll take a look at that kit you mentioned.
If you need help figuring out how to disassemble the switches, let me know. I can post pics how I did it.
(y)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's about as thorough and helpful a build write-up as I can recall. Excellent job and you've probably saved a lot of people a GREAT deal of time with respect to researching options they may be considering.
Thank you Jim_D :)
My hope was to help others on the forum (as they have obviously helped me). As I was saving my money, I spend a LONG time performing research before I went ahead with this project. The vast majority of what I learned came from this forum, so I hope my effort may help others as well.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Thanks rev. 3.11
I'll take a look at that kit you mentioned.
If you need help figuring out how to disassemble the switches, let me know. I can post pics how I did it.
(y)
NM Cruiser,
re: Rear power window kit: There is a little drilling & some mods (cutting) to the rear panel involved
there is also the need to relocate a mounting screw/bolt which is NOT covered in the instructions (I'll take pics) But overall a great mod. Thinking of the FJ Freedom Windows as well...

re: Switches: Pics would be great!
I'm assuming the switches are working out well? I've got a SwitchPro's unit I'm prepping for my '11;
but going stock(ish) switches in my '07, the thought of twice as much room is what sold me ?!
Any plans to change LEDs to amber? I've seen a few vids on it ...?

D ??

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Beautiful Truck. Do you have a pic of the truck from the rear, with all the swingouts closed, to see how it looks? What is the weight of the rear bumper?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As asked by re. 3.11, here are the breakdown instructions for the dual switch: Driving Push Switch Dual LED Light Bar Push Button fit for Toyota Prado RAV4 | eBay
Disassembly of switch is fairly easy. First separate each side to allow enough space to lift the top piece

Step 001.jpg Step 002.jpg

Once loose, pull the top off and then separate the wiring harness adapter
Step 003.jpg Step 004.jpg

With the adapter off, next work to separate the board from the switches. Gently lift and pull the board back to reveal the attachment points to the push switch

Step 005.jpg Step 006.jpg Step 007.jpg Step 008.jpg

The next step is where you could potentially break things, so go carefully. (I learned from experience)
Each half switch is held in place by separate blue tabs. Once the tabs are lifted from the plastic slot on the back of the switch (which holds them in place), each half-switch will literally fall out. The trick it to lift the blue tab as close to front (the other side from the circuit board) as possible. Lift each tab a little at a time, so that eventually it will pop off. If you try to lift the entire tab at once, it will break off and you are then screwed. To make the front of the tab most visible, push slide the main body away …. It will make sense when you try it.

Step 009.jpg

When each tab is loose, rearrange the half-switches as desired and line them up to be re-inserted.

Step 010.jpg

Part 2 coming .....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PART 2:
Step 011.jpg

Reverse your steps to re-assemble. Pushing in tabs is a LOT less perilous and quite easy.
A small flat-head screwdriver was the best tool for me.

Step 012-.jpg Step 014.jpg

Make sure the tabs are in tight, and perform a final function check of each switch.
Then continue reassembly, pushing the circuit board forward and down to drop in place.
In these last steps, everything readily snaps back together.
Step 013-.jpg Step 015.jpg Step 016.jpg Step 017.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NM Cruiser,
re: Rear power window kit: There is a little drilling & some mods (cutting) to the rear panel involved
there is also the need to relocate a mounting screw/bolt which is NOT covered in the instructions (I'll take pics) But overall a great mod. Thinking of the FJ Freedom Windows as well...

re: Switches: Pics would be great!
I'm assuming the switches are working out well? I've got a SwitchPro's unit I'm prepping for my '11;
but going stock(ish) switches in my '07, the thought of twice as much room is what sold me ?!
Any plans to change LEDs to amber? I've seen a few vids on it ...?

D ??
These switches work great! Of course, I used separate relays for each half-switch. I had to wire a set of relays in series in order to control both settings for the Baja Designs LP6 lights.

I did not consider switching them to amber, but would be curious to learn how.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Beautiful Truck. Do you have a pic of the truck from the rear, with all the swingouts closed, to see how it looks? What is the weight of the rear bumper?
Thanks sandFJ90210.
Here are two pictures of the rear.
Rear closeup_.jpg Rear_.jpg

The website says the bare metal weight of this bumper is about 210 pounds. I'm pretty sure the all-around addition of Line-X increased the weight (maybe 25 more lbs??).
All I know is it took two people to lift it !
Of course, this weight does not include the ladder and Hi-Lift carrier, nor the spare tire.

·
Premium Member
12,430 Posts
I like the switches! FJ looks good!

Wire loom is your friend.

Reactions: NM Cruiser

·
Registered
17 Posts
I saw your cruiser the other day in person (I have a silver FJ as well) looks really nice! This forum has been an absolute treasure trove of information. Thanks all!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great looking rig @SandiaCruiser !!
I really love those TRD rims. (y)
Let me know if you ever need any bumper parts, etc (they are just sitting in my garage).
As soon as I can save up a little more $$, I'll begin Phase II with a new roof rack, lights and a RTT.

I don't do Facebook, so perhaps we can cross paths sometime. Hope to see you around :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts