Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, pulled the trigger and went Black Out.
Love them so far. They are only a touch lighter than the BFGs, but they feel as though they actually grip a bit better on the highway. No louder than BFGs, and undoubtedly way better on the snow!

I had thought of waiting till Nov and trying the new BFGs, but I knew I would be paying over $200 easily for tires, and my budget just doesn't have that ability!

Thanks to Discount Tire/Americas Tire for ordering these and getting them slapped on really fast. Even though their site doesn't list the "P" rated Duratracs, they ordered them and installed the next day for $90 cheaper than Goodyear themselves. Really appreciate the service and fair pricing! :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. They don't make the "P" rated ones in anything larger. I have a 2" lift, and I am trying to not impact my MPG since I have to do a ton of street driving for work to get to locations. So I was trying to find the best middle ground compromise. Plus, they were cheaper! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
150 Posts
How is your mileage?
Congrats.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Literally just got them on yesterday, so no idea.
I can say that they literally 'feel' lighter somehow.
They brake better, corner well- leans less, and feel solid.
Still playing with air pressure. Currently at 35psi, and might up it a little to 38psi where I had the BFGs at, (or 40).

How is your mileage?
Congrats.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think I'll be throwing these on mine once my BFG's wear out. Personally thought I like the look of the outlined white letters. Are your's the LT version? Just noticed on TireRack these were a lot more expensive than the none LT. What does the LT really mean anyways?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No these are "P"; passenger rated.
They have 4 ply instead of the 6 ply in the tread area like the LT; light truck versions. That is why they are cheaper, and also a touch lighter.

I carry weight occasionally, like maybe 300lbs +/-, off road frequently but not like Rubicon at all so running a "C" or "D" rated LT tire was just more than I actually needed for a daily driver.

I think and feel these are a great middle point compromise for most FJs.

They have the same side walls, same Severe Weather Rating, same tread compound and same siping etc. They have 1/10th of an inch less tread and I think a couple pounds lighter than the C rated ones.

I think I'll be throwing these on mine once my BFG's wear out. Personally thought I like the look of the outlined white letters. Are your's the LT version? Just noticed on TireRack these were a lot more expensive than the none LT. What does the LT really mean anyways?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not gonna lie.....I did too, and I would have shelled out the extra $$$ for them too. Everything happens, or DOESN'T happen for a reason! :)
It's just a fact that 285s look better. They just do. But for me, it comes at too big a cost on the front side and day to day.

nice! I wish they made the 285 in a p series.

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Discount Tire is awesome...

Reactions: Discount Tire

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You all are totally welcome! Great service and always helpful, I'll always get my tires from you all.

:rocker:
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Ti Toaster. We appreciate your support!

Reactions: Discount Tire

·
Registered
771 Posts
Toaster, do you have any more pics of your fj (maybe a side view) with the new tires? Curious how it looks with a 2" lift!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm in the same boat.. Have about 40K on my OEM BFG's.. they still have some meat on them, but with New England winter approaching I need some newbies (and want to jump up to 285's). Was going to wait a few more weeks for the KO 2's but am having second thoughts as; A) they haven't been put through the motions, and B) I'm not crazy about the looks. A month or so later, how are you liking the Duratracs?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,322 Posts
Yeah. They don't make the "P" rated ones in anything larger. I have a 2" lift, and I am trying to not impact my MPG since I have to do a ton of street driving for work to get to locations. So I was trying to find the best middle ground compromise. Plus, they were cheaper! :bigthumb:
And two months later...how is your gas mileage w/ the P's? I was all ready to get these in a D load, then saw your post. Mileage w/ a more aggressive tread is a major concern.

Also looking for info on handling w/ Dura Trac P vs D load (or less). Don't want too much of a "trucky" feel on pavement, but need capable off-road/deep snow & ice tires (for home condidions) that will quietly speed me to desert Southwest playgrounds.

Thanks for the heads up about the Dura Trac P - didn't know they existed!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey ya Doc.

I had decided to switch the DuraTracs to BFG KOs, which I previously had experience with. I just didn't like the ride on the Duratracs, even past the 'break in' period. I am guessing it was the "P" rating on them. They felt very squirmy, they were physically smaller than the same sized BFGs, and they just looked a bit weird. They had perfectly fine MPG, and felt lighter than the BFGs, but I just didn't like the body roll and wobbly feel of them. I am sure that the normal Crated duratracs, or certainly the 285s would rock the house, but I just didn't have the $$$$ for those.

I am going to say this anecdotally, but I am sure others can chime in on this: unless you are running a Super Swamper tread, the different tread tires really aren't what affects the MPG. It's the weight of the rubber, and the size: in that order. I went from the OEM Duncraps to the BFGs, and there was maybe, MAYBE a solid 1/4mpg drop. Still get 300miles to the light on highway, which I had on the Duncraps. So the tread really has minimal impact on the MPG. However, the tires that are 8-15lbs heavier will make in immediate impact. Add on a plus size, and you for sure will see at least a 1-2mpg drop all the time.

So I guess I am saying get the D rated Duratracs, and expect to see a pretty small drop in MPG. Your gain in traction will out weigh the loss in MPG. Every person I know with these in D and E think the world of them.

And two months later...how is your gas mileage w/ the P's? I was all ready to get these in a D load, then saw your post. Mileage w/ a more aggressive tread is a major concern.

Also looking for info on handling w/ Dura Trac P vs D load (or less). Don't want too much of a "trucky" feel on pavement, but need capable off-road/deep snow & ice tires (for home condidions) that will quietly speed me to desert Southwest playgrounds.

Thanks for the heads up about the Dura Trac P - didn't know they existed!

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,322 Posts
Thanks for the reply! And lotsa helpful info too. You definitely talked me out of the P's - looking at C or D, in 265. Glad to learn that mileage, in this scenario, will have minimal decline. I'm just hoping that 265 (vs 285) won't compromise deep snow/ice/offroad prowess. Did you get a chance to drive on any snow or ice w/ the DT's?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did not get a chance to try them on snow or stuff. I didn't want to put too many miles on them before I took them back to swap at American Tire!

I have a buddy I offroad with, and he has the 265/16 size and he thinks they are awesome. He's been in snow and slop same as me, and I do think he has a better edge when it comes to snow/slush than I do with the BFG/KO1s. It is utterly anecdotal, but I sort of feel that his MPG is a little lower than mine, but I mean LITTLE...so it's really negligible.

Now, I have learned from other Duratrac owners that in fact it does take a good 1000 miles to get rid of the 'squirmy squirrley' feeling that seems to affect the tires, so don't freak out if you notice it feels like you are on ice but you are on dry pavement. It does go away after a bit.

I didn't like the change in the feeling of the softer sidewalls, which was another reason I changed to BFG. (The P rated duratrac was literally smaller all the way around, which was weird to me). The sidewalls are 3 ply on BFG, and Dura is 2 ply. Now, 2 ply is plenty based on the construction, that isn't the issue at all; 2 is plenty for most. But I had become so use to and liked the feel of 3ply, and knew how to work with that.

I don't know if this is kosher, but see if there is a Discount tire near you, and ask politely if they have a barely used set of the Duras and try them out. When I returned mine, with about 50 miles on them, they mentioned they would likely immediately sell them as used...so it's worth asking.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply! And lotsa helpful info too. You definitely talked me out of the P's - looking at C or D, in 265. Glad to learn that mileage, in this scenario, will have minimal decline. I'm just hoping that 265 (vs 285) won't compromise deep snow/ice/offroad prowess. Did you get a chance to drive on any snow or ice w/ the DT's?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,322 Posts
I'm so glad you told me about the squirmy squirrels! I did end up ordering the Dura Trac C's
( they apparently don't make D anymore) , so I'll keep an eye on the odometer if I do feel it, and be assured it's a short term phenomenon. Besides, I'm used to the squishy Michelin Latitude Tours that were on the FJ when I bought it.

No Discount Tire near me - nothing is nearby...I basically offroad every time I leave the driveway which is actually cool in 3 out of 4 conditions: dry gravel/dirt, snow/slush, mud and ICE. I can't wait till tomorrow when I get the DT's installed as the snow is getting deeper w/ ice layer underneath. I'll be posting my experience.

In any case, that's an interresting tire buying strategy I'll remember - and pass along- next time I'm shopping.

I really appreciate your thoughtful, informative response!

Deborah

1 - 20 of 20 Posts