Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an idea on the way to work today for that little wasted space area that seems like it is where a spare tire should go. Have any of yall seen the bed of a Honda Ridgeline??? What about having a hole cut into the floor, covered with a door, that opened to a box, similar to that of the Ridgeline
http://z.about.com/d/trucks/1/0/2/J/2006_Ridgeline_RTL_28.jpg

This is a link to a pic of the back of a Ridgeline. Has anyone else thought of this or better yet, tried it?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I did think about it when I first got the FJ. I think it'll work pretty well, but was thinking more of an external box. If there are lots of stuff in the cargo area, it'll be really hard to get to it.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I really like that idea! Better tell Toyota!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did think about it when I first got the FJ. I think it'll work pretty well, but was thinking more of an external box. If there are lots of stuff in the cargo area, it'll be really hard to get to it.
True, i am thinking of it being a place to store items not used a lot but needed. Say, keeping tools, recovery gear, water bottles, etc. Just a place to keep the stuff i already have in the FJ only out of sight.
I like most of the boxes that many people have installed in their FJ in the rear.
Just trying to think out of the box (pun intended, :) )

·
Registered
431 Posts
True, i am thinking of it being a place to store items not used a lot but needed. Say, keeping tools, recovery gear, water bottles, etc. Just a place to keep the stuff i already have in the FJ only out of sight.
I like most of the boxes that many people have installed in their FJ in the rear.
Just trying to think out of the box (pun intended, :) )
That's where my external airtank for my onboard air system is going!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Looks like an interesting spot to store stuff.:bandit:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I thought about that one day when I was laying under the FJ.....( just staring as I am sure we have all done if I recall the thread...lol). I never knew what that foolish little black box was for....
But anyway I have a full size non folding Kuschall sportwheelchair (all 18lbs of it) that takes up my cargo area almost completely. I have it in and out of the truck constantly so I can't pack around it. But the Ridgeline-esque cargo box would be awesome for my needs. If someone comes up with a kit you can sign me up.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
It sure would make a good storage box but I think it would have made a great place to put a stock Aux Fuel tank. Should have been utilized somehow for sure.Toyota missed the boat on that one for sure.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
547 Posts
I like the idea and have always wondered why its left empty... when I first bought the FJ I lifted the carpet in the rear and started looking for a handle. I think the only may be ground clearance, but a shallow box would be great!!! call the guys at Demello and tell em to start choppin up an FJ n see what happens!!!

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
when I first bought the FJ I lifted the carpet in the rear and started looking for a handle.
I looked around too - wondering where the magic trick was. That is a lot of usable space. Must be something cool we could do with it.

The 2008 Nissan Xterras have a stowaway box under the cargo area floor. A pretty cool feature actually. Too bad the new Xterras are slowly turning into a luxury mall-crawler. Why does Nissan do that to their rugged SUVs? They did that to the Pathfinder over the years too (prior to the Xterra release).

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I agree - Toyota missed it on this one. I looked at the Ridgeline - sure it's ugly... but it does lots of cool tricks. So when I looked at the FJ, I kept looking for the storage compartments... and looking... I did the same thing with the handle - "Where's the handle? How do you open the... uhm... there's no door here... " Looked under the truck... look at spare on door... looked back under truck... Wondered if storage box only came with the Option 3 Pack (you know, the one with the microwave in the passenger side dashboard).

Anytime I wonder why Toyota skipped something so obvious (more 12v outlets), I just push the Locker and ATrac buttons... ahhh... then I'm okay.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I thought about it, so did some others as I recall, a while back. But I think the space is useful as an outside storage for extra gas or compressed air storage. Purely personal choice as the inside storage is probably more useful for most people.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
It's a great idea, but for hidden storage. The tires and wheels are very heavy, and if you go with oversized tires/wheels even moreso. The current location of the spare is probably the best location for most anyone (small, big, strong, weak, young, old) to be able to dismount the spare. All you have to do is unbolt it and pull it off the lugs, gravity does the rest.

DEWFPO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.