Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now, normally I'm not at all concerned with my wife driving my car, a '93 FJ-80 Land Cruiser with a 2 ½" lift, 285-75-16 BFG AT's, ARB front bumper w/Warn 10K winch and Kaymar rear tire carrier. I figure, "What harm could she do?" Now that I have a Black 4x4 FJ sitting out front next to the FJ-80 however, my nonchalant attitude about her taking my wheels is in the midst of suffering a complete 180 when she wanders in and says she's going to take it for a spin. The other day she didn't even ask, she just disappeared in it with our 12 year old. Some of it, I feel certain, is his doing. Nevertheless, the end result is the same; she's driving my new FJ. Its not like she doesn't have her own car to drive. When I got the FJ I figured there's no way she'll want to drive it because she's always talking about how she likes being low to the road in her car (vs. being high up in an SUV), so I figured I was in the clear because she avoids driving my LC like the plague. But NO, she actually seems to enjoy driving the FJ. I mean, come on, how could Toyota let this happen to me. It wasn't supposed to attract people with high levels of estrogen. The worst part of it is that she is, without a doubt, the worst driver I am personally aware of. I find it troubling to even have her stand in close proximity to it.

Not wanting to be forthright with my concerns about her driving abilities in order to insure some semblance of domestic tranquility, I'm about to embark on a campaign of subterfuge to make sure driving the FJ is the last thing that pops into her head when faced with the necessity of vehicular transport. So, I've ordered a lift kit that, when coupled with larger tires, should result in a somewhat rougher ride. Not to mention necessitating a bit of a push to get up into it. I've also ordered an ARB/winch front end, which should mitigate some of the cuteness factor. Then all I'll have to do is plant the seed of fear in driving it. I'm currently trying to think of something plausible to instill that fear. If someone has a suggestion I'm all ears because the next step is buying her a new car to insure she has no interest in mine.

Jim

·
Registered
147 Posts
My wife just left in mine 3 hours 27 minutes ago. She is due back 3hrs 32min from now. Not counting or anything. ......shrug

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tell her to be careful of all the "blind spots" and how you almost squashed a KIA while doing a lane change!!!!!

Worked for me! :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Jim - great 20th post.I'm buying a MT6 tuesday and my girlfriend can't drive stick, she sure as hells not going to learn on my fj.Yes I think all the mods you are planing on should help keep her from driving it.Othewise as you stated you may have to buy her a new ride.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Weld the drivers seat in your position so she can't adjust it. That'll fix her!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I told her about the blind spots and raised her seat. I said a brief prayer and she was away. I guess everthing will be OK. I'll call her now to make sure....
Wait no-one is answering...Thats it I wont my %[email protected]*&! car back now. (soft whimpering)

·
Registered
201 Posts
My wife just told me that she wants to take the FJ to work on Tuesday - WTF? She has a 4 month old MDX, and just inherited my Valentine one 'cause I couldn't find powe in the headliner of the FJ. I'm hoping that the blindspots and lack of seat heat will deter her!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
John, very funny thread. I managed to forget for a minute. Anyway whats so funny is I to was in my PJs this morning. Which means I normally would have been sleeping in. Instead Im outside giving a quick driving lesson.
Now most of you might be saying: Its just a car, she not going to wreck it.
Her car, a beautiful Jaguar VDP with 39k miles has 1 bent driver-side 19x8 aftermarket wheel, which Discount Tire and Wheel says isnt produced anymore. The other three wheels have more rash than a newborn. Yeah thats right The whole set is worthless. Her doors look like they have been in a spring hail storm in Kansas, But she swears she parks way out..... Im going to take my meds now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The first time the wife drove the FJ, some curious admirers followed her 2 miles back to our home. Freaked her out. That's the last time she's driven it.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
We bought an FJ for me and a Land Cruiser for her. I've been driving the kids to school, soccer, tennis, music lessons and other places in her Land Cruiser. The other day she asked me if I was ever going to drive my car again. She kind of had that tone in her voice that insinuated that she might be getting a little bent out of shape that all the miles were going on her car. I think the shoe is on the other foot now!

·
fka JimmyHoops
2,839 Posts
Jim_D said:
Now, normally I'm not at all concerned with my wife driving my car, a '93 FJ-80 Land Cruiser with a 2 ½" lift, 285-75-16 BFG AT's, ARB front bumper w/Warn 10K winch and Kaymar rear tire carrier. I figure, "What harm could she do?" Now that I have a Black 4x4 FJ sitting out front next to the FJ-80 however, my nonchalant attitude about her taking my wheels is in the midst of suffering a complete 180 when she wanders in and says she's going to take it for a spin. The other day she didn't even ask, she just disappeared in it with our 12 year old. Some of it, I feel certain, is his doing. Nevertheless, the end result is the same; she's driving my new FJ. Its not like she doesn't have her own car to drive. When I got the FJ I figured there's no way she'll want to drive it because she's always talking about how she likes being low to the road in her car (vs. being high up in an SUV), so I figured I was in the clear because she avoids driving my LC like the plague. But NO, she actually seems to enjoy driving the FJ. I mean, come on, how could Toyota let this happen to me. It wasn't supposed to attract people with high levels of estrogen. The worst part of it is that she is, without a doubt, the worst driver I am personally aware of. I find it troubling to even have her stand in close proximity to it.

Not wanting to be forthright with my concerns about her driving abilities in order to insure some semblance of domestic tranquility, I'm about to embark on a campaign of subterfuge to make sure driving the FJ is the last thing that pops into her head when faced with the necessity of vehicular transport. So, I've ordered a lift kit that, when coupled with larger tires, should result in a somewhat rougher ride. Not to mention necessitating a bit of a push to get up into it. I've also ordered an ARB/winch front end, which should mitigate some of the cuteness factor. Then all I'll have to do is plant the seed of fear in driving it. I'm currently trying to think of something plausible to instill that fear. If someone has a suggestion I'm all ears because the next step is buying her a new car to insure she has no interest in mine.

Jim
What about buying 2...one for you and one for your wife...You can always tell her you will trade in her car to do the deal. Otherwise, the lift kit, bull bar, etc. might do the trick.

Best of luck,
Jimmy

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
BT17R said:
Something like this locked to the hitch should do it (and you can't find the key).

thats funny
out here in SoCal the gays use those things to advertise they are gay
and now guys are putting them on their trucks not knowing it is a sign you are gay
LOL

·
Registered
165 Posts
Are you for real? I guess I won't be putting them on my FJ when I get it... I had them on my lifted Explorer for a few years, also had a stuffed sheep in the front seat... man I must have looked really gay! :D

·
fka JimmyHoops
2,839 Posts
Zurn said:
Are you for real? I guess I won't be putting them on my FJ when I get it... I had them on my lifted Explorer for a few years, also had a stuffed sheep in the front seat... man I must have looked really gay! :D
That's hilarious...but I'll bet it depends what part of the country you are from...lol.... at least you did not have a rainbow sticker in the rear window. That would have sealed it!:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts