Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running redline 5w30 in the engine with a bottle of lucas synthetic oil additive. I had the oil left over from my 05 Tacoma. I used redline oils throughout the tacoma. I'm wondering what the best oils are for the fj's drivetrain? I have the 4x4 with manual trans and the rear locker. I was talking with a mechanic and he said to add friction modifier for lsd's to my locker... I'm not sure about that one.... :simmadown:

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I am currently running redline 5w30 in the engine with a bottle of lucas synthetic oil additive. I had the oil left over from my 05 Tacoma. I used redline oils throughout the tacoma. I'm wondering what the best oils are for the fj's drivetrain? I have the 4x4 with manual trans and the rear locker. I was talking with a mechanic and he said to add friction modifier for lsd's to my locker... I'm not sure about that one.... :simmadown:
You already have experience with Redline synthetic oils, and you are not sure what to use ???

There is no oil available whose specs exceed that of Redline oils for your FJC, including the new ATF D6 to replace the Toyota WS auto trans fluid....:rocker:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I am currently running redline 5w30 in the engine with a bottle of lucas synthetic oil additive.
Why the additive? I have a 1984 Ford work truck at my hobby farm. It has run its entire life on Esso XD-3 and Mobil Delvac 1, and the gas motor still pumps up 125 lbs with 528,000 km on it

I was talking with a mechanic and he said to add friction modifier for lsd's to my locker... I'm not sure about that one
The locker used in the FJ is a purely mechanical design: an electric motor moves a shift fork, which moves a splined collar into or out of the case to lock the two halves together. There are no clutch plates. Please see attached pdf. There is no need for LSD additve, and nothing to be gained.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Which is best for me?

2008 FJ with 1000 miles. I drive to the mall a lot.

Which of these Mobil 1 products is best for me?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 fully synthetic motor oil is designed for today's longer service intervals. It provides guaranteed performance and protection for 15,000 miles or one year. Mobil 1 Extended Performance products with the Advanced SuperSyn System contain extra performance additives to help deliver outstanding engine protection.

Mobil 1 5W-30
A fully synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1 5W-30 with SuperSyn Technology, is the approved and the first choice of many premium car manufacturers, including Corvette.

Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy
For improved fuel economy, consider using Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy which is engineered to deliver outstanding engine protection and to offer improved fuel economy in vehicles where SAE 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil is recommended.

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30
A fully synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1® Truck & SUV 5W-30 is engineered for gasoline engines in hard-working trucks, vans, SUVs and recreational vehicles.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Re: Which is best for me?

2008 FJ with 1000 miles. I drive to the mall a lot.

Which of these Mobil 1 products is best for me?
From your name I'm guessing you live in Oshkosh, WI? I've been to the EAA airshow a few times, nice event.

You will experience "real" winter conditions, though not as severe as mine. It also sounds like you're doing a lot of short trips. I'd have to recommend the 0W-30.

For short trip use you want an oil with rapid pumping characteristics, and the 0W-30 provides that. In winter, it will also provide many benefits to cold starting, and perhaps *minor* fuel economy improvement, though I doubt you will notice

I use Mobil 1 0W-40 in summer, and Mobil 1 0W-30 in winter. I have better used oil analysis results running the 0W-40 in summer, perhaps the drive out to my hobby farm is a bit rougher on the motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts