Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, a final wrap-up of a few more things that has now completed the "BOX" project.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/28828-ladies-gentlemen-may-i-present-you-box.html

I initially tried a hatch/window strut to keep the forward storage box lid open, but even the lightest-duty strut I could find was overkill and popped that sucker open like a catapult. So, I went with a pair of Stanley adjustable-friction chest lid prop supports. ($5.95 each. Mounting location template is included with the supports.)

I installed a rounded low-profile handle for the forward lid, and added a flush-mounted key lock (1 1/8" long cylinder to account for the 3/4" lid thickness, carpeting and lower hardware).

For additional hold-down support, I fabricated a pair of 1" aluminum brackets that attach to the bottom of the forward storage box and bolt onto the exisiting previous rear seat mounting holes.

I added four FJC tie-down hooks to the top of the rear storage area (ice chest, additional storage boxes, etc.). A small notch had to be cut on the rear panel of the two drawers to permit opening/closing with the slightly protruding underside hardware of the tie-downs.

And, to answer the numerous PM inquires about the contraption mounted on the front of the forward storage box, it's an electrical remote-activated shotgun lock/rack system.

A disguised button on/near the dash releases the spring-loaded lock and allows quick removal of the weapon. (Supplied keys can also open the lock manually.) They're about $90-$130 from most law enforcement supply companies (i.e, Gall's).

Again, if you're undertaking this project (or something similar to it), please feel free to ask any questions you might have. Thank you again for your appreciation of this little endevour.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,816 Posts
Looks awesome!...........................so when's the group buy getting started?:rofl: :rofl: :cheers:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Amazing, I could put those two mutts of mine on top of it. Too cool, and secure, construction of plywood? hmmmm wonder about aluminum fabrication. A friend many years ago did something no where near as slick as that for a jeep, then mounted a couple of 10" speakers to the front, amazing sound. Anychance of getting blueprints?

The Bear

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too cool, and secure, construction of plywood? Anychance of getting blueprints?
Thanks, Bear.

Sorry, but I never got around to drawing up any plans or blueprints. (Just some chicken scratch drawn on the back of a bar napkin that supported a Scotch and water.) However, I did post up the all of the dimensions in the other thread:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/28828-ladies-gentlemen-may-i-present-you-box-6.html#post472589

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks awesome!...........................so when's the group buy getting started?:rofl: :rofl: :cheers:
Hey thanks, 1/2mill90.

Group buy?? . . . I'm flattered. I wish I had the time to build and fill such orders if they ever existed. It would have to be more like a "group build." :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
LandCruiserSteve

Nice job!!

I am no carpenter but I want to attempt to build myself a "box"
I just need the rear section that you did

Not being to skilled in this type of thing I was wondering if you could fill me in on how to make sure the rails for the drawers are located properly so they fit nice
and open and close smoothly

Any other suggestions or words of wisdom are greatly appriciated

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
thats a very nice build, & I love the shotgun mount.
rep to you.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
That is a great looking box. Nice fit and function. If I didn't need backseats, I'd work on making one as well. Very nice.

btw, did you consider using a soft handle for the top so you can lay stuff on it without worrying about damage?

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Really sweet setup Steve.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice box, thanks for taking the time to post your mods!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Looks awesome hey we can rob banks in the southern USA then slip down to Meheeco for a few nights of good sleep!!!!! Count me in!!!:armed:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you allowed to drive around with the scattergun loaded in GA? I'm in CA and we can't have them loaded in the vehicle... otherwise I'd totally do that. I guess you could put a shell holder next to it.

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you allowed to drive around with the scattergun loaded in GA? I'm in CA and we can't have them loaded in the vehicle... otherwise I'd totally do that.
Yep, compared to CA, GA is another world. In GA (like in many other states), a loaded shotgun within reach in the vehicle is not only legal, but often a way of life. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Yep, compared to CA, GA is another world. In GA (like in many other states), a loaded shotgun within reach in the vehicle is not only legal, but often a way of life. :rolleyes:
That line and the emote is classic!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts