Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

The Brotherhood/Sisterhood of 2012 Trail Teams (Radiant Red)

174K views 818 replies 133 participants last post by  Zed 71 
#1 · (Edited)
Just following the footsteps of other model year/color threads... I recieved my 2012 6MT Trail Teams in March 2012. It was snowing pretty hard when I sold my sports coupe and picked up the FJ.

Looking forward to seeing everyones ride (stock or not), modifications completed, and trail rides. In other words, show off your rig!

Took the FJ out for some offroad fun with my son and checking out the hunting grounds. Nothing serious, just getting familiar with 4lo, diff lock, and A-Trac modes.

Stock for now :bandit:...

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
Cool picture Bacon. What were the settings on the camera. Almost looks like a model.

#12 ·
The effect is achieved using a tilt lens (there are tilt-shift lenses, but tilt and shift are two different functions). They are also known as "selective focus" lenses. Effectively, what the tilt function does is change the plane that focus can be achieved on by tilting the lens to the side (it can be titled in any direction). What this will do is allow the camera to focus on points both near and far along a specific plane, while still retaining the out of focus effect (bokeh) everywhere else (where a regular lens will only let you focus on a certain distance from the lens). Most of these type lenses are $1000-$3000, but some cheap alternatives are made by LensBaby. You can read up more on this effect here.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Thanks. The other truck belongs to wegotg.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#15 ·
I picked mine up March 3. Funny story I went to the dealer to have my 2008 Black FJ serviced and a tire repair done. Since we'd be there already I had set up an appointment with a salesman to get my wife a new 2012 TC for her commute. I mentioned to the salesman if he gets a 2012 Trail Teams in to give me a call to check it out. He perked up and said "We just got one in this morning!" Well, they also said it was sold to a dealer in California but I could take a look at it anyway. The president of the dealer saw me looking at it and said if I wanted it he'd cancel the broker deal for the out of state dealer and give it to me instead. So long story short, I now have a 2012 trail teams too! I love it. I actually hate the color red, but something about this color on the FJ with the blacked out trim, I just had to have one. I had to fight about 4-5 people off from it that morning. I couldnt believe how many people were trying to buy it while I was there.

#20 ·
My son & I got off the concrete today & I finally got a pic of me with my FJ :) Also, as I mentioned on another thread here, while I was trying to learn how to use some of the 4wd controls (yes, I'm a total newb!) I learned something new - that if you don't do things in order, it makes the check engine light & "trac off" light come on. I'll be studying my manual some more I guess. But, it was still fun!

#21 · (Edited)
First saw mine on the lot around 3-17, did a double take and bought it 3-20. Absolutely love it. Prior 2008 Sandstorm owner and I went to a Tundra and back in less than 6 months.

Once I saw the red With the Red roof and everything else Blacked out it was only a matter of time.

Not figuring out how to post a picture with the iPad. Have a few good ones down by the river with my son.

Enjoy

#22 ·
Picked mine up March 9th, after months of waiting, and the smile hasn't left my face since!!:)

Best vehicle I have ever owned (all due respect to my 2007 Voodoo Blue)!

#25 ·
Just dropped mine off for the first oil change. I think this must have been the first red one at this dealership. When I left with the shuttle driver to get a ride back to my office I noticed several employees standing around it checking it out. The one that greeted me when I arrived asked me where I got it painted.

:)

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using AutoGuide.com App

#26 ·
This was "mod week" for me...nothing major or exciting but they are my first real mods :). Had the following installed for me: red skid for the rear diff, armor for lower control arm & some shock armor. And, I had the drop hitch taken off & reclaimed at least 2" of clearance/departure angle! I also had some much appreciated help from a forum friend with my CB. He did all the wiring & installation for me! And his buddy helped him get the Bandi antenna mount installed. I've met some really good/nice people thanks to my FJ! :).

I added a few other minor things including several organizational/storage doodads, a great sunshade that fits perfectly & a "custom" 4WD emblem.

Here are a few pics, including one with the front seat removed. It was strange looking at my new car taken apart like that! LOL

Skid plate for rear diff (a friend referred to these as "red panties" for the car....too funny!):
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Suspension

Driver's seat removed for CB wiring:
Vehicle Car Machine Family car Sport utility vehicle

Bandit mount antenna:
Red Vehicle

"Custom" 4WD emblem (stick on decals from auto supply store):
Vehicle Car Font Emblem Family car

Thank you Curtis & Kurt!

#30 ·
Tlcntx- howdy... It was awesome meeting you at jambo. I can't wait to see what the next mod is for you... Im saving $$$ to begin my.money pit...

Question. Can u explain the removal of your drop? How did you gain inches? Did it mess with your ride? Thanks....

Thank you again for your arm rest.... Its awesome...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#32 ·
The hitch that came with mine was some heavy duty version. It wasn't integrated into the bumper like the other factory hitches. It hung down pretty far below my bumper. I didn't have any issues with it but knew I'd want all available clearance when I hit the trails! I don't have a pic to upload here, but if you go look at my "garage" on the forums, I think there's a pic there.

As for mods, you'll probably be next. I'm still catching up from my initial set of mods! But, I do hope to get all of the remaining skids installed before I attend my next event :). I'm going to try & hold out on getting a lift until it's time for new tires...we'll see. And, in the future, I'd like to do the dual battery mod & possibly an auxiliary fuel tank. Oh...there is one mod I'm planning soon because it's not expensive. It's called a "scuba mod" that FJNewb here in Houston does. I'll try & remember to post a link for it soon.

Glad the arm rest is more useful to you than it was to me :).

Have fun!

#31 ·
I posted this in the tracking thread...but, I have to post it here too since it epitomizes the "brotherhood/sisterhood" theme. There were 3 of us at an off-road event last weekend here in Texas & we did some wheeling together & hung out. It was a nice time! Here we are all lined up:
Land vehicle Vehicle Off-roading Car Off-road vehicle

Attachments

#33 ·
Scuba mod? Sounds fun.... Do tell...

#34 ·
Got mine 2 days ago

Here is Rojo, arriving from Ohio

He got new rubber on his first day

BEST TRUCK BEST COLOR

#35 ·
Received mine at the beginning of April and have taken across country already. Only mods in mine are the tow package and TRD exhaust.

If you see one with WV tags near Baltimore or DC more than likely that us me. Can't wait for the WV 4x4 jamboree as family and I re planning on taking the new FJ.

Planned mods so far - snorkel.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#37 ·
Fj guga, what size tires are you running now? It looks awesome....
Attached is the pun stripe my fj came with. Im not sure if you can really see it in the pics i have.

Attachments

#38 ·
Tlcntx,
What exactly is this mod for? Im a newbie...

#39 ·
Sure thing Coug :)

I'll try to explain what I can recall from when it was explained to me. However, I'm still a newb too girl :) so please forgive the missing technical terms - LOL!

There are a few (3?) places under your FJ where valves have been placed that serve an important purpose (i.e., opening to release pressure when heat builds up) but that are also low enough to be submerged if you go through high water, whether on purpose for fun or out of necessity for situations like floods. If the valve opens while submerged, water can breach the opening & enter spaces/places where it can have negative consequences such as having a mix of water & oil....when those two don't really "mix" well together.

A "Scuba" mod involves connecting thin tubing to where the valve goes & running the tubing to a spot higher up where the heat/pressure can still be released but with a much lower risk of being submerged.

If anyone else reading this can elaborate, explain better, etc. please chime in :).

Thanks!

#40 ·
Huh... Interesting.... Never thought that of been an issue. I was thinking you were going literally scuba gear. Haha. Snorel, ect.... So any knowledge on the next offroading event in tx?

#43 ·
So any knowledge on the next offroading event in tx?
Yes, there's one that I know of for sure & one that I saw mentioned on another thread.

Wheelers for the Wounded is next weekend (5/4 - 5/6) in the Hill Country at Hidden Falls Adventure Park in Marble Falls. This is a very worthwhile cause & should be a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I have a prior commitment so I can't make this one :(.

And, I don't recall which thread I saw it on but someone mentioned night wheeling 5/12 in Bridgeport (not too far from Dallas I think).

If everything goes as planned, I'll be going to Colorado in July for the FJ Summit.

Then, the next Texas organized event I know of will be in October, I think it will also be in Marble Falls. You may have heard of it...Wheeltoberfest. I'm planning to attend that in conjunction with a Hill Country rock collecting field trip :). No dates yet on that one that I know of.

Personally, I'd REALLY like to go back to Gilmer again sometime soon! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.