Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:rawr:DESERT F0X:rawr:

My FJ is actually starting to make the transition to where I want to go.

:ninja:
WARNING​
:ninja:
If you are squeeemish about cutting on an FJ you Will NoT WanT to see these first few M.O.D.S!!!

Otherwise ChEcK it OuT, and post your thoughts or questions...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The beginnings.

I became the proud owner of 2007 VooDoo Blue FJ... ummmm :thinkerg:Mid 2010...

I was looking into Jeeps. The Toyota Dealership had an 07 Four Door Jeep, but I ended up driving off the lot in this FJ...

...As you can see it wasn't exactly "stock" :cowfrown: when I bought it.

It already had a lift, "WHAT KIND?" I don't know.

My FJ also had/has four 33" Discoverer STT's and the stock spare.

If Toyota had put out the TT in 2007, this FJ would have been one of them. It was/is Loaded w/ pretty much every add in available from the factory, as far as I know.

FJ Jammer w/Sub

Tow Package

Parking Assist

Rear Electronic Locker... you get the idea...

One of the service guys and I were talking about my lift today, and he said he would look up the whole history my FJ and what was done to it. I'm interested to see that report.

You've now seen the "Starting Point," LeT The Chopping begin....:ninja: Waaaah!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Our first real OffRoading experience was at CHOKE CHERRY CANYON, home to many serious rock crawling events. My wife is originally from Farmington, NM so the trip was inevitable. This first trip would also lead to my first :ninja: Chop Job!

This is Heather waiting on me to Air Down...

Somehow I found myself with four or five highly modified Jeep Wranglers on terrain I wasn't equipped (Rig/Experience) to handle.

To make a long story short I came off of a ledge too fast, as my suspension compressed my muffler was crushed and pushed through my rear bumper.

We pried my exhaust pipe open as I tried to control my :flame: huhuummm

So we called it a day.

I couldn't stand to look at that crushed exhaust pipe every day. It's like it was staring me in the face reminding me of my newbieness, and it just looked crummy, so I CHoPPeD it off!

The Tail Pipe had a bit of an angle to it, the exhaust is hot and the pipe was point right at.... YUP my BUMPER. Needless to say the bumper started melting after a few weeks it had a hole in it where the exhaust was hitting it.

If I couldn't look at a bent tailpipe I sure wasn't going to stand for a melted bumper. I looked up how to remove the bumper on our trusty FJ Forum, and did so as I did the bumper broke in two pieces. I drove it around w/o a bumper for a day and decided it looked a little too bare so I started CHOPPING on what was left of my bumper. I basically kept the sections that hold the rear silver wings in place.

You'll notice a bit of melting on the wing...

I like the new TOUGH look of my stock Paraframe-Bumper (thats probably not technically right, but it sounds good to me). Alot of people don't even notice that anything is missing...

MORE CHOPPING to COME!!!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I like the tupperware-less rear bumper and the old-school straight pipe muffler. It has that "mad max" element!

Welcome to the forum and to the MOD sickness.:cheers:

I like the new TOUGH look of my stock Paraframe-Bumper (thats probably not technically right, but it sounds good to me). Alot of people don't even notice that anything is missing...

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Looks like you are finding all the weak points and removing them one by one!:rocker:

I'm waiting for that day when it's paid in full...I have new blades for my sawsall and gas for my torch! :ninja:

·
Registered
500 Posts
If Toyota had put out the TT in 2007, this FJ would have been one of them. It was/is Loaded w/ pretty much every add in available from the factory, as far as I know.
They did come out with a TT in 07. Just called the TRD instead

nice truck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lilx10;1805279 Welcome to the forum and to the MOD sickness.:cheers:[/QUOTE said:
You are a regular here, so do know if there is a thread that discusses a cure or at least a less expensive alternative to ACTUALLY MODDING your ride. I think I might run out of things to CHOP!!

Stay tuned for wheel flare Chop!
:cheers:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They did come out with a TT in 07. Just called the TRD instead

nice truck!
From all of my research the 2007 TRD FJ and all other TRD FJ's have been 2x4 models.

Stay tuned for my custom wheel upgrade and flare chop!
Should give you some ideas. :rocker:

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
DESERT FOX....by any chance does your friend Heather work or used to work for Halliburton off of CR 1260? Once upon a time I worked there and we had a receptionist that looks just like that woman pictured above

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DESERT FOX....by any chance does your friend Heather work or used to work for Halliburton off of CR 1260? Once upon a time I worked there and we had a receptionist that looks just like that woman pictured above
Yeah, my wife works for Halliburton off of Coors Road.
:bandit:

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
Couldn't think of the name of the road....Wow, small world!Thought she looked familiar! I was an Engineer for Halliburton until the big layoffs came:mecry: There are a few other members roaming around Odessa/Midland area!

Yeah, my wife works for Halliburton off of Coors Road.
:bandit:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Must have not done much research. First search on google will show you that 2007 TRDs came in 4x4.
Thanks for the link. You are right, I haven't researched TRD models much. Just the TRD accessories. I am usually on top of my research. Thanks for the correction.

Tip: If you want a Total Chaos long travel kit, like me. Don't get the TRD brake rotors. They are too thick for the kit.

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Thanks for the link. You are right, I haven't researched TRD models much. Just the TRD accessories. I am usually on top of my research. Thanks for the correction.

Tip: If you want a Total Chaos long travel kit, like me. Don't get the TRD brake rotors. They are too thick for the kit.

:bigthumb:
You can run those rotors with the TC long travel kit. It just takes a bit of...chopping! :lol: Welcome to the forum.:cheers:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ooooooooh! GOOD ONE!!! :rofl:

I don't think I'll do any CHOPPING on the IFS Components. I would hate to compromise their Integrity.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I removed the front Wheel Flares for that Baja Racer "look"

BEFORE

AFTER

While I was at it I removed the rear Mud Flaps too.

I did remove the rear flares to get a look, but I just wasn't happy with the lines. They will be coming off, as soon as I get some Diamond Plate to replace the trim with.

Right now I am going for Wheels first and the Metal Tech bumper group buy is tempting... but I am still going for wheels first! :rocker:

This Mod was a CHOPPER. This small section of Trim was connected to the wheel flare.

You can see where I chopped it in this shot!!:ninja:

Maybe this shot is better...

Stay tuned for MORE CHOPPING, yes I said,"MORE CHOPPING!"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just had to throw these pictures in for good measure. I don't want you guys to think I'm afraid to get dirty.

WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!

:rocker::rocker::rocker:

·
Registered
500 Posts
It requires minimal grinding to use the TRD big brakes with the TC LT kit. It doesnt compromise the IFS in any way.

If your build is called the chop shop you should have no problem cutting some stuff anyway :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts