Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a bit of research on the different things that fj's where equip with from the factory. I'm trying to find out more about the wheels. I know they have TRD wheels that came in 16's but for the most part looks like they was all equip with 17's. I belive the wheel options where different from 07-10 and from 11-14. Can anyone show me all the different wheels that came stock? Maybe direct me to a post where I can look into it. And what are your favorite factory wheels?
Thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did find the post your wheels thread. But that's mostly aftermarket wheels on there I was wondering more in just the factory wheels.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
@Pakeezy

I'll get you started. Here are the sales brochures for 2007-2014 FJs in PDF format. Scroll down the page to find FJ

Auto-Brochures.com|Toyota Car PDF Sales Brochure/Catalog/Flyer/Info 4Runner 86 Avalon Camry Celica, CH-R, Corolla Corona Echo FJ Cruiser Highlander Land Cruiser Mark II Matrix Mirai MR2 Prius RAV4 Sequoia Sienna Solara Supra Tacoma Tundra Venza Yaris

Here is what I am seeing:

17" Steelies
17" Six Spoke Alum (upgrade packages)
16" TRD Six Spoke wheels for TRD Edition in Metallic Grey
16" TRD Six Spoke wheel in Accessories in Silver
Dont see the 5 spoke alum wheels later offered in offroad/all terrain package

17" Steelies
16" Five Spoke Alum (offroad package)
16" TRD Six Spoke wheels for Trail Teams edition in Black

17" Steelies
16" Five Spoke Alum (offroad/all terrain package)
Dont believe they made a Trail Teams Edition in 2009 but not sure...so no TRD Six Spoke wheel in black
16" TRD Six Spoke wheel in Accessories/2WD TRD package in Silver

17" Steelies
16" Five Spoke Alum (offroad package)
16" TRD Fake Beadlocks for Trail Teams edition in Black/inset
16" TRD Fake Beadlocks in Accessories in Bronze (Not sure if you could also get Black inset unless it was Trail Teams)

17" Steelies
17" Eight Hole Alum (upgrade packages)
16" TRD Six Spoke Alum in Black for Trail Teams and NSSE
16" TRD Six Spoke wheel in Accessories in Metallic Grey (according to brochure you could purchase the Spec Edition which appears to be metallic grey)
16" TRD Fake Beadlocks in Accessories in Bronze or Black

Not Avail
16" Five Spoke Alum that was previously available in offroad package doesnt appear to be available
17" Six Spoke Alum that appeared for '07-10 doesnt appear to be available.

17" Steelies
16" TRD Six Spoke Alum in Black for Trail Teams
16" TRD Six Spoke wheel in Accessories in Metallic Grey (according to brochure you could purchase the Spec Edition which appears to be metallic grey)
16" TRD Fake Beadlocks in Accessories in Bronze or Black

Not Avail
16" Five Spoke Alum that was previously available in offroad package doesnt appear to be available.

17" Steelies
16" TRD Fake Beadlocks in Black for Trail Teams
16" TRD Fake Beadlocks in Accessories in Bronze

Not Avail
16" Five Spoke Alum that was previously available in offroad package doesnt appear to be available.
16" TRD Six Spoke wheel previously offered in Accessories in Silver doesnt appear to be available

17" Steelies
16" TRD Fake Beadlocks in Black for Trail Teams (TTUE not even shown in brochure)
17" 7 Spoke Alum Wheel (not shown in brochure and also used on some 4runners)

Not Avail
16" TRD Six Spoke wheel previously offered in Accessories in Silver doesnt appear to be available

As for production numbers of each type of wheel, I have never seen that. That's the research project that you can complete in your spare time. I agree with posters above about 17" Steelies being rare. Here is my list of the rarest (all just based on what I have/havent seen and all just unsubstantiated opinion). I'm sure others will see it differently -- but this can give us something to argue over.

Rarest Ranking (completed biased opinion...not based on any known published numbers)

1. 16" TRD Spec Edition Six Spoke Alum wheel in Metallic Grey
2. 17" Steelies
3. 16" TRD Fake Beadlock with Metallic Grey Inserts
4. 16" TRD Fake Beadlock with Bronze Inserts
5. 16" TRD Six Spoke in Black
6. 16" TRD Six Spoke in Silver
7. 16" TRD Fake Beadlock in Black
8. 16" Five Spoke Alum (offroad package)
9. 17" 7 Spoke Alum also used on 4Runners in '14
10. 17" 8 Hole Alum
11. 17" 6 Spoke Alum...by a HUGE margin the most common FJ factory wheel.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
NICE write-up SilvFx!

My 2010 has the five spoke off-road package wheels (#7 on your list) - have to say I hardly ever see those on other FJs...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well SilvFx I want to thank you for taking the time to put this list together it has helped me and I'm sure it will help others with this write up. This is very helpful information! Now if I just want to see what a wheel looks like I can just Google but the description per wheel. Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
NICE write-up SilvFx!

My 2010 has the five spoke off-road package wheels (#8 on your list) - have to say I hardly ever see those on other FJs...
Sorry fixed my list because apparently I cant count. I agree I dont see the five spoke offroad wheels very much...but the 7 other wheels above them I see even less as they arent very common either.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Well SilvFx I want to thank you for taking the time to put this list together it has helped me and I'm sure it will help others with this write up. This is very helpful information! Now if I just want to see what a wheel looks like I can just Google but the description per wheel. Thank you again.
hopefully you can google by the description. You can see them in the brochures and are pretty easy to identify once you get to know the common descriptors.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,880 Posts
I'd have to think the BBS wheels would be most rare. They were accessory wheels like the silver TRD wheels I think.

Steelies automatically came on every truck that didnt have an Upgrade or Off-road Package. You even got steelies with just the Convenience package, which the vast majority of trucks have.

Unlike some of you, I see them all the time. I do, however, think many replaced them (maybe with those BBS ones) at the dealerships to look better. That doesnt mean those wheels were destroyed though.

Back in the "glory days" here steelies were abundant for sale...takeoffs for $200 all over the place. They just didnt wear well, and I think most rusted bad and probably have since been scrapped.

Also looking on Tacoma, 4Runner, Lexus forums, they all run FJ steelies. They are everywhere still.

So, maybe they are rare now (to obtain), but they certainly are not the most rare.

There was another accessory wheel that I bet is super rare (just ask @Iconic)...the forged 17" Faux beadlock. They look like the Tundra Rock Warrior wheel, but with the 'right' bolt pattern

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I'd have to think the BBS wheels would be most rare. They were accessory wheels like the silver TRD wheels I think.

Steelies automatically came on every truck that didnt have an Upgrade or Off-road Package. You even got steelies with just the Convenience package, which the vast majority of trucks have.

Unlike some of you, I see them all the time. I do, however, think many replaced them (maybe with those BBS ones) at the dealerships to look better. That doesnt mean those wheels were destroyed though.

Back in the "glory days" here steelies were abundant for sale...takeoffs for $200 all over the place. They just didnt wear well, and I think most rusted bad and probably have since been scrapped.

Also looking on Tacoma, 4Runner, Lexus forums, they all run FJ steelies. They are everywhere still.

So, maybe they are rare now (to obtain), but they certainly are not the most rare.

There was another accessory wheel that I bet is super rare (just ask @Iconic)...the forged 17" Faux beadlock. They look like the Tundra Rock Warrior wheel, but with the 'right' bolt pattern

I never knew or had never seen the BBS wheels on the FJ. I suppose plenty of dealers could have offered wheel and tire packages. I will note that I did not see the BBS wheels in any of the 2007-2014 Sales Brochures but that doesnt mean anything.

As far as the 17" Faux Beadlock, I have heard of them, but never seen them on FJs. They also did not appear in any of the sales brochures that I linked to. I did mention a wheel in my list that also did not appear in any of the brochures exactly. And that is the 16" TRD Fake Beadlock with Gunmetal/Grey interiors. I did see in the brochures these same wheels with the black interior and the bronze interior.

Frankly just about any 6 x 5.5 bolt pattern wheel that Toyota sold as accessories or standard equipment on 4Runners, Tacomas, and FJs are pretty much interchangeable and there is a ton of crossover. With this post, I was generally only trying to address the OPs question about what wheels that came with the FJ and which are rarest. The discussion gets a bit out there when you start including accessory and TRD wheels and even dealer special equipped wheels.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,952 Posts
I think the BBS wheels were put on mostly by that southern Toyota group, (Gulf States?), that had all of the other weird dealer installed stuff. I had a friend from Georgia and saw a few others from that region with them and in a couple of sizes like 17"? and 20".

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,880 Posts
Yeah I saw a TON of BBS down in SC / NC when I lived there. All the Tundras had them as well

·
A-Team Moderator
10,892 Posts
I was told by a Stevedore that all came with steelies as transport wheels that were taken off at port and exchanged for the wheel pkg it was shipped with and those came in a container to protect them. They either kept the steelies on, exchanged them for what it was shipped with or the dealerships installed what they wanted on them, like the BBS, for their area.

Also the Steelie's are the under bed spare on Tacomas. Hey BIGGUY, what's under your Tundra, matching or steel?
@SilvFx your last sentence in post 13, :cheers:

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,880 Posts
I was told by a Stevedore that all came with steelies as transport wheels that were taken off at port and exchanged for the wheel pkg it was shipped with and those came in a container to protect them. They either kept the steelies on, exchanged them for what it was shipped with or the dealerships installed what they wanted on them, like the BBS, for their area.

Also the Steelie's are the under bed spare on Tacomas. Hey BIGGUY, what's under your Tundra, matching or steel?
@SilvFx your last sentence in post 13, :cheers:
Tacoma steelies are 16" but look the same. I think the black Tundra 6-lugs were also 16". To my knowledge FJ steelies are the only 17" ones

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im on a rabid search for those 17" bbs wheels. Have seen 1 set local, and they made me shivver. WOW! Best fj wheels! The bullet holes are also very cool, but those bbs are very very cool.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm under the impression that the BBS wheel package always had a steelie spare with the cover on it. Just something to keep in mind, if you do find a set of BBS takeoffs, you'll only get 4, not 5.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts