Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to the build thread for my 2013 Magma FJ aka "The Dreamsicle". This is my second FJ after I recently sold my '08. I'm eager to get started

The inspiration...

Here it is straight out of the fridge

and as the Dreamsicle sits today

Mod List (so far)

Suspension
Icon 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers
Icon Tubular Upper Control Arms
Metal Tech Stage 2 Long Travel Rear Kit
Metal Tech Offset Rear Lower Links

Bumpers
Front - Rocktek
Rear - Metal Tech Red Eye Swing Out
Warrior Products Rear Corner Guards

Wheels and Tires
TRD Anthracite (Gun Metal Gray) 16" Wheels
Goodyear 285/75R16 DuraTracs
OPOR 1" Wheel Spacers (Removed)

Armor
Full set of Budbuilt Skid Plates w/ Beefy Gas Tank Skid
Budbuilt Beefy Rock Sliders
Boztec Rear Diff Skid
Rocktek Rear Link and Shock Armor

Recovery
Engo E10000S Winch
ARB Premium Recovery Kit
48" Hi-lift Jack w/ base plate and handle isolator
Rocktek Tube Adapter for Hi-lift

Electronics
Big Bill's CB Combo
Garmin GPSmap 62s

Lights
PIAA 520 Driving Lights
PIAA 520 Fog Lights

Other
BajaRack Flat Utility Roof Rack (Removed)
Front Runner Slim Line II Roof Rack
Mombasa Roof Top Tent, RTT-9007
Ironman 50L Refrigerator
Staun Tire Deflators
ARB Tire Deflator

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First things first. For once, I'm going to take a own advice and start with rock sliders. These are Budbuilt "Beefy" Sliders with Bump Outs. These sliders are a bit more expensive than most, but they are freaking awesome, made from 0.187" DOM tubing, they are as tough as nails.

I saved these from my old FJ. They have about 2 years on them, and I really pounded the crap out of them so the paint was in need of a little touch up.

Also, before installing, it's a good idea to chase the threads in the factory bolt holes with a tap. Even if it's a brand new truck. I found there's plenty of over spray in there from when the frame was painted. This will make installation go much easier

Freshly painted and installed

·
Premium Member
16,365 Posts
Nice looking dreamsicle! Looking forward to following your build. :wave:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Today forum member Topgun15v came over and I helped him adjust his Toytech coilovers, then he helped me install one of my favorite mods from my old FJ, Metal Tech's long travel rear suspension kit.

After removing the stock springs and Bilstein shocks, we pulled the rear sway bar. Unless I sell this truck some day, it will not be going back in.

With all that clutter out of the way, now is the best time to replace the brake lines. If you do this, I recommend loosening the fittings before pulling the clips that hold the lines in place, otherwise you're going to have a fight on you hands. After installation, bleed the breaks and top off the reservoir.

Next are the springs, these are "fun" to install

Next, the Icons

and finally, the bump stops

I don't have enough energy to start in on the front suspension today. I'll save that for later in the week, but now the Dreamsicle has a sweet rake. It's kind of like a mullet for trucks, "Business in the front, Party in the back!"

Again, thanks for all the help Ryan.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'll be installing Metal Tech's offset lower links soon, but first I want to make sure I know how to correctly install them. I assume the Johnny Joint goes in the front with the grease zerk down and the offset of the rear mount is offset towards the ground. Anyone know if that's correct?

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Thats correct. Easier to get to the Zerk especially if you have Rocktec armor (shameless plug :lol:)

Sorry to see the old rig gone. I used to watch yours to see those wheels and tires in action :bigthumb:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thats correct. Easier to get to the Zerk especially if you have Rocktec armor (shameless plug :lol:)

Sorry to see the old rig gone. I used to watch yours to see those wheels and tires in action :bigthumb:

Thanks for the conformation. Yeah, I'm going to miss those wheels, they were pretty unique, drew a lot of comments. But I didn't think Bronze wheels on an orange truck looked quite right:mecry: Gun Metal Gray on the other hand, Now, there's a color that goes with orange.

You know the Rocktek's are just waiting in the wings...

·
Registered
132 Posts
After seeing his new truck in real life and the mods he is planning, I would def subscribe. This is going to be a first class build by a first class member. Btw the color is Amazing! Thanks again for your help on mine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
you have great taste in upgrades and makers/suppliers of such, no to mention colours of FJs ... looking forward to following your build ...
:cheers:

07 FJ Cruiser – Voodoo Blue - C Pckge – AT
Toytec Ultimate 3” Lift / Total Chaos UCA
285/70R/17 Michelin LTX A/T
ECGS 3rd/front diff 4.56 gears / ARB Front Locker / ARB mini compressor
DeMello Hybrid Sliders / Scuba Mod / AT Cooler
Clazzio Seat Covers / Industrial Forming Roll Top Console Cover

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I started in on the front suspension today after work, installing Icon Tubular UCA's and Icon 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers.

I didn't have any help tonight other than my girlfriend, so I wasn't able to get as much done as I had hoped, just the driver's side. I'll have to finish up the passenger's side tomorrow.

No real problems on install other than one of the grease zerks on the Icon UCA's appeared to be plugged and wouldn't accept any grease. I quick trip to Autozone fixed that.

BTW, it sure is nice working on a clean, brand new truck:)

Anyone know the torque spec on the 12-point bolt on top of the Uni-ball? The instructions didn't say. *edit* I got an email from Icon today, they say the torque spec is 54 ft-lbs

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Def subscribed :) I can't wait to see a modded Magma :cheers:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'll be installing Metal Tech's offset lower links soon, but first I want to make sure I know how to correctly install them. I assume the Johnny Joint goes in the front with the grease zerk down and the offset of the rear mount is offset towards the ground. Anyone know if that's correct?

Awesome new FJ. Congrats. If you have not already installed them or even if you have. I would suggest getting zirks with a 90degree bend and installing them near the Johnny joints and turning them so they are on top. When I first installed mine I did it the way you mentioned and I thought they stuck down too far. I didn't want to break a zirk inside the arm and then try to tap it out. It just looked like a weak point being on the bottom. I can take a pic of mine and get it to you if I am not explaining it good enough. good luck with everything. looking great. John

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Awesome new FJ. Congrats. If you have not already installed them or even if you have. I would suggest getting zirks with a 90degree bend and installing them near the Johnny joints and turning them so they are on top. When I first installed mine I did it the way you mentioned and I thought they stuck down too far. I didn't want to break a zirk inside the arm and then try to tap it out. It just looked like a weak point being on the bottom. I can take a pic of mine and get it to you if I am not explaining it good enough. good luck with everything. looking great. John
Thanks John, No you explained it well enough. I haven't installed them yet. I 'll probably get them in tomorrow. I have an assortment of zirks, so I'll give the 90°'s a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts