Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used the search button, the internet, called Toyota HQ, and called the local dealers. They all have not given me an answer. So I'll ask here, what is the factory front spring rating? I found the rear was 190. I've also found aftermarket front info such as OME at 590 and the fox 2.0 at 600...ect. I love the ride of my stock fj. It's great IMO! But I need to change my shocks and was looking at the fox 2.0; I've decided not to lift it. I'm afraid the 600 rating will be to firm. Any info would really help. The only thing I've found regarding factory equipment is on a 4runner which is 580. And if I remember correct, 4th gen 4runners, can be interchangeable with the FJ.

My year model is 2007 4x4

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Get king Coilovers for the front if you want to experience what a nice suspension will feel like. They're are expensive, but the high end stuff is really worth the money. Try to see if you can snatch a used set somewhere if you want to save some buckos. They come with 550lbs springs, so if you're not adding weight to the front, they'll offer a super plush ride anywhere you want to run them in or out of the road, if you add weight, your option is to increase spring rate, 600lbs is not really bad, I have 650lbs currently, and I wouldn't want to run anything lighter, but I do have more weight than stock everywhere.

According to the OME 2013 PDF guide, the stock spring rate for the FJ in the front is 500lbs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. And I have looked into the kings, and yes price is up there but I adhere to the philosophy "you get what you pay for." I'd have no problems with saving up for the kings that have a 550lb rating than the "cheaper" fox 2.0 with 600. I'm not adding any extra weight at all. I love how it is stock.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I put #600 in the front and the it was perfect. Then I did a bumper,winch, and skids then went to a #700 and still have the same ride.
Remember your springs are solely for supporting weight or ride height. Your compression and rebound are all in your shock valving. More of your perceived ride is in your valving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick question. If I did the kings up front, would the bilstein 5100's in the rear be a decent compliment until I saved enough for the king rears?

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Quick question. If I did the kings up front, would the bilstein 5100's in the rear be a decent compliment until I saved enough for the king rears?

They would work, assuming you're not loading the FJ down with a lot of weight in the front or rear, because the front and rear won't compliment each other well with that combo.

If you aren't towing or loaded down in the back, I would try to use the oem rear setup if it's a short time before you get the rears.

If you need longer shocks, and its temporary, I would just buy some $40 pro comp shocks, rather than excess $ on 5100s that you're using as a band aid. The nice thing is rear suspensions are generally a lot cheaper than fronts.

I'm probably going to get some Kings up front on mine once my WEs need rebuilding. Report back how they run!

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Rate and rating are 2 different things:

1. Spring rate or K of the spring is defined as Force/Distance or F/x. So for a spring rate K = to say 500-lb/inch, then if the vehicle weighs 1000 lb per corner it takes 2 inches of spring travel to hold that weight and any additional travel takes 500-lb/inch more.

2. Spring rating would be carrying load, which is a predetermined safe load for the vehicle or suggested load that may affect drive ability or braking. It is obviously related to the engineered Spring Rate.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I put #600 in the front and the it was perfect. Then I did a bumper,winch, and skids then went to a #700 and still have the same ride.
Remember your springs are solely for supporting weight or ride height. Your compression and rebound are all in your shock valving. More of your perceived ride is in your valving.
Also had 600's and loved the ride on D rated tires...got the front steel bumper and winch etc...so got 700's on E rated tires and love the ride! Wouldnt go less than 700's for droop/dive reasons. etc

:)

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All of this is great info. And as for adding weight or towing, I will be doing niether. It's going to remain 100% stock weight; no bumpers, winches...ect. Heck I don't even have a roof rack on it lol.

That's most likely what I should do smalldog, is just keep the oe shocks in the rear. However, it may be another month or so before I can get the Kings. I'll ressurect the thread when I do!

Yeah I'm staying away from E tires, mostly gonna go with C. The bfg ko2 in 265 comes out in march with a C rating; that's what I plan to nab.

I wonder if I can get the kings without the remote resi? In all honesty I don't need it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts