Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 176 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

You had an aftermarket bolt that was longer, and greaseable. What were the names of these bolts and where do you get them?
Sorry about the problem with your All Pro lower control arms. I had a problem with mine too, which is why I recommend Man-A-Fre. Currie grease-able bolts. Currie Enterprises - Rear Ends, Jeep Parts, 4x4 Parts, Ford 9 Inch Rear Ends

You also don't want to be embarrassed when your asked to get out your shackles and strap so that someone can help YOU get out of a situation that YOU got yourself into . . . it's doubly worse when it's in front of Uphill
No, what would be worse is if it happened again after having experienced it and if you were unprepared. There are a lot of people on this forum learning (including me) and you never appreciate what you need and why you need it until -- YOU NEED IT.

what's scary is that one can do (and should) all these mods, and to the casual observor, it will still look like a stock vehicle...assuming nothing else has been done.
My pet peeve (and it's nobody's fault) is guys who do the bling stuff before taking care of what is necessary to get them home. In most cases those guys don't know better. However that's what the forum is about: discussing needful things.

Hey Larry,
Where are the above two pics from?
That's Holcomb Creek - that's the run you were going to join us on last summer!! Unfortunately that trail is closed, likely for the remainder of the year. It has a lot of the same features as John Bull. Because trails change from year to year and during the year and because last winter was so wet, I have no idea what John Bull looks like this year.

There are a lot of rigs that like to run Holcomb Creek. This is one example of a traffic jam on a narrow trail.

Tony, that is Deep Creek from the bottom of the waterfall looking up. I think when you did that run with Marlin you came DOWN the falls.

Another Deep Creek photo. Sean I think that Deep Creek Trail is closed too but I'm not sure on that.

Great pics love the post to good info uphill
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My first $2000 goes to Chevron and Shell
When you own a Starship FJ, the price of rocket fuel is insignificant. Did NASA complain about the cost of fuel for the Apollo 11 mission? Not after they built the space ship...

See what I mean? 2K for fuel is chicken feed when you have a Lunar buggy!

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
My philosophy is "getting home". The Scorpion was modified not to be glamorous or make a statement but to get me home at the end of the day.
I'm even safer. It's easiest to get home... if you always stay home. That's why I own an FJC, but always make sure it's either 1. in the shop or 2. i screw up my schedule so I can't go on trips.

This may seem easy to the untrained eye, but it takes a lot of effort to always make sure that whilst I own an FJC, I never actually end up being able to drive it.

And it's cost a lot more than $2k.

:D

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Geez...I wish MAF would do a "stimulus package" group buy for this item.

You think if I say it enough they'll do it??

Maybe if Mir207 says it.....it'll happen :wave:
I'm trying to coax something for Ouray - but don't tell anyone and anyway, probably won't happen. But I am trying :)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Very nice post Larry. :bigthumb:

Getting home is paramount. Doesn't matter the mods if you can't get home. Maybe a little bit of budget should go into some education about wheeling and recovery. Some basic knowledge can save a lot of money. You know, like don't turn on a steep hill, don't stop in loose terrain, don't hit the brakes hard on a steep down hill, etc.

I do recognize the Dishpan pic. Up and down look so different though. That waterfall was something else. One would think the lower section challenging, but once you've done the waterfall, those are nothing but little bumps.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thanks for the good info. As always that's why I love this forum... Can anybody coax...I mean convince MAF to have a group buy for the LCA's...I do have some economic stimulus money that needs to be spent.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for this post. I wasn't aware of the lower control arm problem. I'm adding that to imediate wish list. I'm ordering skid plates Friday. Maybe I can order the control arms then??

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
That's Holcomb Creek - that's the run you were going to join us on last summer!! Unfortunately that trail is closed, likely for the remainder of the year. It has a lot of the same features as John Bull. Because trails change from year to year and during the year and because last winter was so wet, I have no idea what John Bull looks like this year.

There are a lot of rigs that like to run Holcomb Creek. This is one example of a traffic jam on a narrow trail.

Tony, that is Deep Creek from the bottom of the waterfall looking up. I think when you did that run with Marlin you came DOWN the falls.

Another Deep Creek photo. Sean I think that Deep Creek Trail is closed too but I'm not sure on that.

Thanks.
Thanks for the info. Too bad Holcomb is closed. Oh well...maybe another time.

Thanks again,
Sean

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I've got everything except the MAF rear lower control arms.

The skid and rails are OEM (that some people think are junk) but no point replacing them until I need to do so. Not sure I do enough off-roading to justify doing the rear control arms, but it's good to know about the weakness and the solution.

How hard is it to replace them on the trail? If it's not that hard, I might buy and carry them as back up parts when going off-road. :thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
How hard is it to replace them on the trail? If it's not that hard, I might buy and carry them as back up parts when going off-road.
If you don't take the rig off-road much, don't sweat the skids or LCA's. If things change, get a buddy who swapped out his stock LCA's for stronger after market LCA's to let you keep one of his OEM's as a trail spare.

What's involved in the LCA replacement? It looks like a simple bolt on. Is this the case? Any tips?
If you're going to do it on level ground in the shop and you're buying non-adjustable rear LCA's, they swap out easily.

The adjustable LCA's are tricky because they have to be adjusted <perfectly> to make sure that your rear axle is pointed in the "right direction". I had an issue with All Pro adjustable LCA's because they didn't fit in the OEM bracket. I spoke to TLC in Van Nuys, CA and they said that "some fit and some don't". It was a failing common to that part in the past. Maybe they've fixed it? If they haven't you need to bend the 1/4" steel brackets back quite a ways to get the new parts in. I broke my thumb doing it - snapped the bone in half. You live, you learn. Enough said on that score.

If you are doing a trail repair where the rear end is off-camber, in the rocks, etc. You have a potentially challenging repair. If the rear axle is being forced in one direction or another when the LCA breaks, it's going to be off at an angle from "true". Cinch straps (if you thought to bring a set) are a MUST to bring the axle back where it needs to be in order to do the swap-out. So maybe it will be easy and maybe not. It depends on where YOU are. One thing is for sure, until it's fixed, that FJC isn't going anywhere. There's no patch-together fix for what becomes essentially a "free floating" rear axle.

When I was on a run with MUDDYGRRL and others in Death Valley last week, she recounted how when she was with the Toyota Trail Team, her particular team broke six (6) rear lower control arms in a year.

Yes they're thin. Yes they break. No, not on the highway. It's a trail issue. Under mall-crawl rules they'll last the life of the FJC. It's not an inherent weakness in the FJ. It's a weakness in MANY vehicles that take the road less traveled. And it's no different than taking out an insurance policy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If my opinion counts for anything, I think this should be stickied. I got onto the forum and didn't really know where to start with the necessary things for trail / off road. For some people (me for example), this is my first vehicle that could even take me off a paved road. Although I ordered a set of rock sliders (first mod) right before this thread was posted, I now know more about what is needed to get out there, get dirty, and get back home.

Great work!

Anthony

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you don't take the rig off-road much, don't sweat the skids or LCA's. If things change, get a buddy who swapped out his stock LCA's for stronger after market LCA's to let you keep one of his OEM's as a trail spare.

If you're going to do it on level ground in the shop and you're buying non-adjustable rear LCA's, they swap out easily.

The adjustable LCA's are tricky because they have to be adjusted <perfectly> to make sure that your rear axle is pointed in the "right direction". I had an issue with All Pro adjustable LCA's because they didn't fit in the OEM bracket. I spoke to TLC in Van Nuys, CA and they said that "some fit and some don't". It was a failing common to that part in the past. Maybe they've fixed it? If they haven't you need to bend the 1/4" steel brackets back quite a ways to get the new parts in. I broke my thumb doing it - snapped the bone in half. You live, you learn. Enough said on that score.

If you are doing a trail repair where the rear end is off-camber, in the rocks, etc. You have a potentially challenging repair. If the rear axle is being forced in one direction or another when the LCA breaks, it's going to be off at an angle from "true". Cinch straps (if you thought to bring a set) are a MUST to bring the axle back where it needs to be in order to do the swap-out. So maybe it will be easy and maybe not. It depends on where YOU are. One thing is for sure, until it's fixed, that FJC isn't going anywhere. There's no patch-together fix for what becomes essentially a "free floating" rear axle.

When I was on a run with MUDDYGRRL and others in Death Valley last week, she recounted how when she was with the Toyota Trail Team, her particular team broke six (6) rear lower control arms in a year.

Yes they're thin. Yes they break. No, not on the highway. It's a trail issue. Under mall-crawl rules they'll last the life of the FJC. It's not an inherent weakness in the FJ. It's a weakness in MANY vehicles that take the road less traveled. And it's no different than taking out an insurance policy.
There is not an issue with the All-Pro Pro Links fitting in the bracket. Currie makes two different Johnny Joints ends for us. One fits the FJ Cruiser and one fits the Tacoma SAS links. The Tacoma ends are about a quarter inch wider and physically will not fit in the FJ brackets. WE made a mistake and sent him the wrong ends for his FJ. He proceded to install the links and when they didn't fit instead of making a call to figure out the problem he decided on his own to try to pry the brackets open with a prybar and slipped and broke his thumb. We are very sorry that this happened to him and have tried to make it right with him but I still see these posts pop up where he claims they don't fit and he knows otherwise.

JonB

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
There is not an issue with the All-Pro Pro Links fitting in the bracket. Currie makes two different Johnny Joints ends for us. One fits the FJ Cruiser and one fits the Tacoma SAS links. The Tacoma ends are about a quarter inch wider and physically will not fit in the FJ brackets. WE made a mistake and sent him the wrong ends for his FJ. He proceded to install the links and when they didn't fit instead of making a call to figure out the problem he decided on his own to try to pry the brackets open with a prybar and slipped and broke his thumb. We are very sorry that this happened to him and have tried to make it right with him but I still see these posts pop up where he claims they don't fit and he knows otherwise.

JonB
This is the FIRST time All Pro admitted to sending me the wrong part. I (up until this minute) didn't know it was a Tacoma part mis-labeled. For the record, I've had the Tacoma LCA's on the FJ since July 07. Once the brackets were bent out, they worked. I wouldn't buy them again, but they worked.

Thanks for the clarification. And for the customer service (and love) I've received from All Pro.:pinklove:

21 - 40 of 176 Posts