Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 176 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Great recommendations Larry . . . Can I add that the recovery gear is great to have as long as someone has a winch. Maybe we can call it, "The first $2500" ?

Seriously, someone needs to get a group buy going on the lowers.

·
Registered
834 Posts
good thread i should of just bought the lower arms but i i bought the all pro skids that cover the front of the rear arms. Im saying this because the front i saw was already smashed. But im on the net right now buying real tow straps i just have those cheap ones with hooks on them. Which i personal will never use anymore because i saw first had what will happen when you use them on a stuck rig in the water.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You know I never thought about getting the lower control arms.. But What a good point about if one breaks your screwed... Thanks once again for a great post!!:bigthumb::bigthumb:

Only problem is now I have to come up with the money for another mod !!!:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
160 Posts
(1) Rear lower control arms and leading edge armor plates to protect them. The OEM arms are weak. One good strike on a rock and you can break them. If you break one, you're screwed. You can disconnect a front or rear drive shaft and you can play games with other "getting home" magic, but once you've lost a lower rear, you're not going anywhere.
Recommended: MAN-A-FRE rear lower control arms with bushings. They're heavy duty (most unlikely to break), they are not adjustable because you don't need adjustable rear lower control arms (IMO) and MAF stands behind their products. US$299.00 for the rear lower control
arms. TLC Trailing Arm Skid US$90.00

Larry,
I agree 100% on the MAF lowers. You forgot the best part, they re-use the stock bushings. I am not a fan of the "ballad of the squeeking suspension".
Although maybe it worksd like the HD guys say "loud bikes save lives".
In this case a loud aftermarket suspension works like those off road flags.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just got back from a 3 day, 2 rig expedition in Death Valley and it is exactly these kinds of things that get you home at the end of the day. Great list.

One thing to consider if you want to work on things gradually is you could always go in with someone on a set of rear lower control arms and each carry one as a spare. Then save up for the other over time and replace when ready.

And don't toss out those factory parts after upgrading as they typically can be used as an emergency spare to get out of trouble if something does still happen to the upgraded parts. Just be sure you also have a good set of tools put together for field repairs.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Gotta get me some of this.

·
Banned
31 Posts
First, I agree with everyone who's already said "great post." Thanks!

Pardon my ignorance (I am a newbie who just bought a pre-owned FJC). The previous owner added sliders and a front transfer case skid plate. But I can't help but notice that most, if not all of the trucks pictured in this thread already appear to have "lift." I was surprised to see no mention of this on the "first $2,000" list. Maybe this is just a given / assumed in the off-roading community? Or, is "lift" simply NOT a "first $2,000" consideration?

If it is, I am wondering if I should be shopping for larger tires to get me that first inch or so of lift OR should I go right to an off-road/performance suspension (and buy the tires later)?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Yes, I know I don't need much of this for "dune cruising", which is what I do in the summer, but I am heading north to the mountains with a couple of local clubs this fall.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I think this would be a good thread in the Newbee section. A lot of good info for us new folks starting out!:redblob:

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I think this would be a good thread in the Newbee section. A lot of good info for us new folks starting out!:redblob:
It is an excellent thread. The topic is pretty specific to 4x4 / Off-road tech though, and a surprising number of new FJC owners don't have a lot of interest in wheeling. But I did make it a "sticky" thread that will always show up at the top of this forum. I'm also going to ask Land Cruiser Steve to add it to his collection of Technical / How-to articles and/or Buying Guides.

Thanks for bumping the thread and bringing back to my attention.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i really wish i would have saw this thread sooner. always good to read helpful insight from people that are experienced!

·
Registered
203 Posts
DuneCrusier21, if you have no intention of ever re-gearing and or doing the body mount chop, you could def. spend the money on better tires then "stock" ie: KM-2's (stock size) . . . then you could fill out the rest of the $2000.00 list with no feelings of guilt. Fourtanetly for you your just about there . . .

Good Luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
:rocker: Great thread

·
Registered
151 Posts
I will echo everyone's praise... great advice and perspective.

I am glad I read this when I did... I was about to go invest in lift and suspension, but I think I will focus initially on the mods suggested here and wait for the lifts until later.

Thanks!!
:bigthumb:

41 - 60 of 176 Posts