Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

141 - 160 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
164 Posts
I have a question about the LCAs,
Metal tech sells some "offset" ones that apparently give your rear wheels more travel. If this is true, why don't more companies sell these offset rear LCA's, and why does Toyota put LCA's stock that limit the articulation?
Also, I was wondering if anyone had bought metal tech's rear LCA's and had any opinions as to their quality next to Man-A-Fre's or anyone else's.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Can you get skids for the OEM LCA's and if you can would that be enough for "getting home?"

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a question about the LCAs,
Metal tech sells some "offset" ones that apparently give your rear wheels more travel. If this is true, why don't more companies sell these offset rear LCA's, and why does Toyota put LCA's stock that limit the articulation?
Also, I was wondering if anyone had bought metal tech's rear LCA's and had any opinions as to their quality next to Man-A-Fre's or anyone else's.
From my understanding the most benefit of the offset links would come from having extended travel shocks and springs. They prevent the LCA from being the limiting factor (or the weakest link).

I also see them as a beefy alternative to the stock ones and the offset acts as a sort of skid to help protect the lower mount. They look to be very well engineered.

BTW, I have a set arriving this Monday.

·
Registered
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
164 Posts
What are the best LCA skids that will fit with Metal Tech's Offset Rear lower links?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Can you get skids for the OEM LCA's and if you can would that be enough for "getting home?"
If I understand your question, Rocktek has armor for the links on your LCA's.
Red Dirt Offroad has a kit for both the front and rear links OF your LCA's but it won't cover the whole LCA.
Red Dirt Offroad-Rocktek FJ Armor Bundle

I purchased the lower control arms they have from Red Dirt bye Rockmen. (Now Toytec) and the Rocktek Armor so I'm not worried about those pieces failing on the trail.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just another note the Metaltech LCAs are 325, now you might think that is a bit high but each stock LCA is 159 so you only a few dollars difference between an upgraded part and a stock. Also unlike the joints which you can dint and still make it home decently. As soon as you kink a lower control arm you're going to be moving your rear axle throwing it out of alignment.
@estatic707
I have the rocktech link skids that Willy linked (not the Rear Shock Mount) and the Metaltech LCA and I have yet to have any issues with it. I did get a beefer shock guard that protecs both the bottom of the tower and the bolt heads.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Just another note the Metaltech LCAs are 325, now you might think that is a bit high but each stock LCA is 159 so you only a few dollars difference between an upgraded part and a stock. Also unlike the joints which you can dint and still make it home decently. As soon as you kink a lower control arm you're going to be moving your rear axle throwing it out of alignment.

@estatic707
I have the rocktech link skids that Willy linked (not the Rear Shock Mount) and the Metaltech LCA and I have yet to have any issues with it. I did get a beefer shock guard that protecs both the bottom of the tower and the bolt heads.

might be a personal preference issue but your zerk is pointed down on the frame end of your MT's...easy for access but also makes for easy oops on a rock

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
True, to have the lcas match the same length as my originals the zerks were on opposite sides. I figured the top one would catch a lot less since it's recessed in the mount opposed to the bottom one have objects drug into it.
A little extra length is okay, perhaps preferred, after the lift. The geometry is better with a slightly longer LCA. I run my Metaltech LCAs longer than stock.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts

@estatic707

It almost looks like your links are upside down.

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Those links are definitively upside down. Compare mine.
He installed them intentionally with the front zerk down in order to maintain the stock LCA length. If he lengthened the LCAs and put both zerks up, he would be better off from a protection and geometry perspective.

·
Registered
122 Posts
He installed them intentionally with the front zerk down in order to maintain the stock LCA length. If he lengthened the LCAs and put both zerks up, he would be better off from a protection and geometry perspective.
When I installed them I lined mine up with the stock and they are the same length. I don't see the issue. upside down or not they are the same length. for the record, I don't think turning the front 1/2 turn to relocate the zerk would make any appreciable difference in length, if that is what he wanted to do. The problem I see is with the rear - #1 exposing the grease fitting to be sheared off. #2 not taking advantage of the offset to protect the lower mount. To each his own I guess.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
When I installed them I lined mine up with the stock and they are the same length. I don't see the issue. upside down or not they are the same length. for the record, I don't think turning the front 1/2 turn to relocate the zerk would make any appreciable difference in length, if that is what he wanted to do. The problem I see is with the rear - #1 exposing the grease fitting to be sheared off. #2 not taking advantage of the offset to protect the lower mount. To each his own I guess.

In his post, he said that he installed them on opposite sides. Since I can see the front down, I am assuming the back is up.

Although, now that I look at this, the offset in the back is on the top!!!!!

I agree with you. He is just upside down.

He needs to fix this either way.

Reactions: FrankieFJ40
141 - 160 of 176 Posts