Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
unless a miracle happens and gas prices come down (obama '08 anyone?), there is no way for a car like the FJ to continue being sold.

maybe a diesel. maybe death.

it's a dying breed.

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
agreed. When we have this thing in 2012, it's gonna be a relic of the past....

but a cool one :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
...and if you think Obama will lower the gas prices you will be sadly mistaken. It won't change. He doesn't even support drilling here.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Need to throw massive solar cells over the skin of the rig..then get some good ol cooking oil hydrogen powerness and we'd be good to go eco climbing:rofl:

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Need to throw massive solar cells over the skin of the rig..then get some good ol cooking oil hydrogen powerness and we'd be good to go eco climbing:rofl:

that would be really cool.

Hey I wouldn't hesitate for a second to convert my FJ to something electric/diesel/hybrid/hydrogen if the torque was still there (relatively)

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i don't know why we can't have an FJ that runs on happiness or something. This forum would be a great refueling station.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I just hope I can find the dinero to buy a second one before they become RARE!

If they release a green TRD (in a good green) (and only cuz I don't want to paint the roof) and I will be DROOLING all over that baby!

I SOOOOOOOOOO want to drive SVO.....have the sources for a conversion and an SVO source......just can't find a good car to run it.

(SO few diesel choices...... unless you want to mall crawl in a BIG TRUCK, a wrecker or an RV .)

And my dogs cojones won't fit in one of those Beetles. :mecry:

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it has always been and continues to be completely fascinating the extent to which people are unable to piece together basic world events/politics with their daily lives.

whatever.

Frankly, this was a long time coming. And, Bostonian, if anyone can still afford to fill up an FJ in 2012, bless them. But, more likely, the FJ will vanish and, once everyone's agreed on what the next generation engine/magic wand/solar thing is, it'll resurface in some butchered form.

Whatever again.

I'd get an Electric FJ. Just to be able to say it's electric when people look at me like i'm mad.

has anyone noticed the eerie silence that now accompanies gas station pit stops? It's like I'm watching myself being watched. How much?! Nooooooooooooo!

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
I just hope I can find the dinero to buy a second one before they become RARE!

If they release a green TRD (in a good green) (and only cuz I don't want to paint the roof) and I will be DROOLING all over that baby!

I SOOOOOOOOOO want to drive SVO.....have the sources for a conversion and an SVO source......just can't find a good car to run it.

(SO few diesel choices...... unless you want to mall crawl in a BIG TRUCK, a wrecker or an RV .)

And my dogs cojones won't fit in one of those Beetles. :mecry:

you say SVO and I immediately think of this....

(what's an SVO?)

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just Say No to O in '08 if you want a better chance at lower gas prices, lower taxes and reduced terrorism.

Say Yes to O in '08 if you want $10/gal gas, less of your money in your pocket and Jiahdi attacks on our soil.

dude, honestly shut your keyboard mouth.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Obama likes high gas prices. He was asked about high gas prices in an interview a few weeks ago, and he didn't denounce them, but said that he would've liked it if the price jumps were more 'gradual' and not such a huge rapid jump. He was all for trying to get us more money to pay for the higher prices, and not address the underlying issues. And, wind farms, and thinking that the car manufacturers can build a 'magic' engine overnight? Fugitaboutit...

Back on topic: Gas prices will eventually come more in line, and just like any over-speculated market there will evenutally be a severe market correction, and those that participated in the over-speculation will lose their shirts. But, prices will fall back in line, eventually (just like in the embargo in the 70's)...

Then, folks will begin buying SUV's again.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
This topic again huh? lol Hey what tires will fit without a body mount chop??:rofl:

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
interesting article...

June 26, 2008

More Drilling Extends National Addiction to Oil; Will Not Save Americans Money at the Pump
Statement by Brendan Bell, UCS Washington Representative

WASHINGTON (June 26, 2008) -- Senate Republican leadership today introduced a bill that would expand off-shore oil drilling and open areas that are now off-limits in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming to oil development. The bill, the Gas Price Reduction Act of 2008, stands in stark contrast with forward-looking legislation the House is considering, which would protect consumers from rising gas prices and expands transportation choices. Opening up America's coastlines and valuable wilderness areas to oil and gas drilling is a shortsighted response that would not reduce prices at the pump and take the country in the wrong direction, according to the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS).

Below is a statement by Brendan Bell, UCS Washington representative:

"Americans deserve real solutions that will save them money at the pump, not more political posturing from the oil industry and its allies in Congress. The 'Gas Price Reduction Act' sounds like something out of a George Orwell novel. Despite the name, it will have no effect on today's gas prices and will have virtually no effect on future markets. Making our cars, light trucks and SUVs go farther on a gallon of gas would deliver real savings, not false promises.

"Unfortunately, high gas prices are here to stay. The price of oil is set by the world market and is being driven, in large part, by growing world demand. The United States cannot drill its way out of its oil addiction. We consume 25 percent of the world's oil, but we have only 3 percent of the world's proven reserves.

"We can't lower oil prices, but we can save consumers money by cutting back how often they have to fill up. Better fuel economy means real savings right now and into the future. Consumers can save money today by sticking to the speed limit, avoiding stop-and-go traffic, and taking public transit when it is available. Congress can start now by requiring oil companies to provide free air at all gas stations and encouraging Americans to tune-up their cars and trucks. These two steps could cut gas consumption by 5 to 10 percent depending on how well the vehicle is maintained. That would be the equivalent of a 20 to 40 cent per gallon discount.

"It is also time to extend tax credits that help Americans purchase new fuel-efficient vehicles, such as hybrid cars and SUVs, and eliminate the caps on those tax credits. In addition, Congress should pass legislation that provides Americans with expanded transportation choices, so we don't have to drive as often. Finally, we can put existing technology to work by ensuring strong implementation of the recently passed fuel economy standards.

"Ask any American if they want to save a dollar per gallon of gas and they will say, 'Yes.' That is precisely what the fuel economy standards passed by Congress last year will do. UCS analysis shows that just by reaching the minimum standard of 35 miles per gallon fleetwide by 2020, Americans will save $45 billion a year (at $4 per gallon of gas) and cut oil consumption by 1.1 million barrels per day. That is the equivalent of cutting today's gas prices by more than one dollar per gallon.

"The good news is that we have the fuel-saving technology to do even more. Regardless, the White House is blocking an EPA report that concluded the auto industry can go beyond 35 miles per gallon and the Transportation Department is setting standards assuming gas will cost just $2.42 in 2016. The administration cannot claim to care about Americans paying high gas prices on the one hand and then block federal agencies from taking action with the other.

"We need to break our addition to oil -- an addiction that only benefits the pusher -- the oil companies. This latest move by some in Congress is just another sign of the overwhelming greed of the oil companies. Not only are they making record profits, they are getting more than $30 billion in tax breaks. Now they want the federal government to give them our treasured public lands and beaches, even though they aren't drilling on all the leases they currently own. How much more do the oil companies expect American taxpayers to bankroll their profits?

"Our oil addiction hurts our economy, our environment, and our national security. Instead of focusing on the backward policies featured in today's Senate bill, it is time to move forward with American ingenuity and technology to cut our dependence on oil, save money at the gas pump, and curb global warming.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Obama likes high gas prices. He was asked about high gas prices in an interview a few weeks ago, and he didn't denounce them, but said that he would've liked it if the price jumps were more 'gradual' and not such a huge rapid jump. He was all for trying to get us more money to pay for the higher prices, and not address the underlying issues. And, wind farms, and thinking that the car manufacturers can build a 'magic' engine overnight? Fugitaboutit...
oh my Goodness!

is this place THAT toxic now?

that's really incredible.

i guarantee you are an all too common breed which lives inside one's own head. you would be unable to sustain a conversation on the subject with anyone outside that small circle.

·
Banned
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dude, honestly, if you don't like it just ignore it.

dude, honestly, why would i ignore it?

so some unknowing person who just happens to be in a vulnerable mood and/or angry because of, say, a break up, reads this nonsense and says to himself, "yeah, that guy's got a great point! ALL my ills will be cured by the power of one beautiful 71 year-old man!"???

1 - 20 of 120 Posts