Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because it is AWESOME! We arrived at the Gulches about 11:30 and meet the owner Skip. By far this is the most friendly ORV park we have had the pleasure of going to. Though it is small (80 acres) this is the Disney Land California for 4X4's. What they lack in quantity they more than make up in quality. Located in the innocent foothills of SC.

Innocent....Yeah Right!

We did some exploring, pulled out some ATV's, pulled out a broken jeep..all in a days work for the hardworking FJ.

At the end of the day we ran into Skip again and he took us on a guided tour of Rebel Boulevard and talk about ending the day with a bang.
Here is some pictures so you can judge for yourself:
FJCruzer (Sylva)

Strinmachine

JamesArt

NCFJ

The FJ's meet the Pipe Garden:

A group picture with Skip's Jeep in the center:

I took over 200 pictures so there will be lots more to come!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
We had a great time for sure. We were all set to call it a day when the owner (Skip) came down and met us in his Jeep. He wanted to know if we had gone down Rebel Blvd yet which we had not. He gave us a guided tour and spotted us through by far the hairiest off camber stuff we have been on yet. I dont think the pucker creases in my seat would even iron out.

At one point I was nosed in on the driver's side to the point the right rear wheel was 4' in the air acording to Heather and James, there is a pic above of it, check the trees behind to get an idea of the angle. James ended up coming over and hanging off the bumper for a counter balance so I could drive out of it.

I cant say enough about Skip. What a great guy!! He bought this place a couple years back and with help from some local clubs cut all the trails in with chain saws and hand saws. It is not spread out like Harlan or Tellico but what is there is very cool. We will certainly go back again to wheel and hang out with a new friend.

There are camp sites all along the river and other spots inside the park where you can camp over night. We stopped and had lunch in one of them. Skip told us that any time we would like to bring a group to call ahead and he will accomodated us. They also have night runs every other week that run until midnight. This place would be killer at night. Pics to come tomorrow when I can function :)

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
Great Trail Report Heather! :) and nice pics. If you have 200 pics I think you have been hanging around me for to long. :lol:

Looks like everyone had a great time and I'm happy to hear that no FJ's received any damage.

On another note. It is way past my bedtime and now I can sleep soundly knowing that ya'll are back home.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, The night riding ought to be incredible!

More pictures:

NCFJ decided to take the big SMC sticker off to do some rearranging but the glue was still on there. SMC was still represented!

Two separate Jeeps, this one with a broken axle in Sidewinder:

The FJ playing trail rescue...broken drive shaft:

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Wow what a day!

Thanks for having me in you group, I really enjoy riding with everyone there...
Made it back home at 9:30 and tired.

When are we going back?

Thanks Heather nice pics keep'em coming...:rocker:

·
Registered
685 Posts
A very, VERY fun day! Except for a twisted ankle that is VERY sore today, I had a blast. Skip was a very gracious host, even took me out in his jeep to check out a trail called cupcake, one of the harder trails there. IIt was fun to go the whole day with only minor cosmetic damage in our group while watching people break axles, hubs, driveshafts, etc on the same trails. :rocker: Something to be said for our advanced wheelin' skills I guess :bigthumb:. I took a few pics, but most look just like heather's. Here's a couple

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
Heather, I LOVE that pic of me where the plant is in focus but I'm back in the background. Killer shot! And skinum, yeah, you missed out. Next time!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
With a 450' elevation change from tral head down to the river the Gulches has som very good hill clibs. Another feature of the park is the abundance of off camber sections.

Sylvain heading uphill through the rocks

Mike encountering some roots un the way up

James AKA "Tom Slick" demonstrates the long skinny pedal approach to silty hill climbs

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Thanks, I have plenty more, in a heavy heavy storm right now and keep loosing internet.. be back later

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts