Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, I'd tell them how much I love this truck, and what a great job they did.

If I were making suggestions, I'd suggest they look at the location, and style of serpentine belt idler pulleys and their bearings. They're unprotected, and right behind a big fan that likes to spray water / mud all over the inside of the engine bay.

Many who use the vehicle for offroad travel know (and toyota mentioned it in their promotional materials) that sooner or later you may have to cross some water or mud. There have been a number of members here, including myself, who have experienced problems/failures and expressed their concerns about the durability/maintenance of these pulleys. Many more will never even go in the dirt, and will likely never experience any problems at all. For a vehicle billed as Toyota's most capable offroader (in North America anyway) this Idler pulley problem ought to be considered if not a critical, at least a significant oversight.

Some may never have problems even if they're offroaded and driven in water/mud. Maybe mine, and a small group of others are an exceptional case of bad parts (repeatedly). If so I'll be happy when I finally get the good parts onto my truck, and have to stop worrying about when I'm going to be forced into some water on the trail as it seems like EVERY time mine get in the muck, within a day or 2 the pulley bearings die. Either way I'll continue to enjoy the FJ as it was intended to be used.

Looking forward to more good ideas from the engineers at Toyota.

Cheers!

P.S. Please let us have the diesel LC70's!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
yea, your right. last year while offroading in the azusa canyons, my wife decided to go into a big pool of mud, to just splash the fj, and some mud got into bearing, after having that anoying sound for like a month, i took it into the dealer and they replaced it for free.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Seal the bearings. Problem solved. Toyota, you hearing this? Seal the bearings.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Sealed bearings must cost too much. Replacing the current bearings time and time again must be far cheaper. Sarcasm intended :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
i must have good luck with my pullies because ive gotten muddy i have done tons of water crossings and there still fine.

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
I'm running bearing set number six if you wanna' call me Toyota......

No really.....

Call me!!!

And you paid for all of them.....

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
YES, are you listening Toyota, WE NEED SEALED BEARINGS!!!:bandit:

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I am lucky with mine also, I have twice as many pulleys and I cant even get to mine without removing the SC belt first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts