Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after reading the many threads on here about rear storage units I decided to tackle my own. I grew tired of having to clean my dog before putting her in the truck, and my wife also complained about never having a place to put groceries in the rear cargo area because I had "shovels and toolboxes" laying around. I built the frame out of 1x4 wood and put plywood over that and finished it off with some outdoor carpet from Home Depot. I installed a trap door hook on the top to anchor my dog as well as a locking latch on the front. In all I spent maybe $125, but it turned out pretty well and my dog loved it during our road trip today.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I like it! I want to build one one of these days.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Awesome pup. Mine has claimed the passenger seat, but I need to move her to the back at times. This looks like a good solution. You're just attaching to the D-ring on the dog's harness with some nylon webbing, correct? I haven't ever driven with the back glass open. Do you get any bounce with the glass or do the struts hold it open solidly.

Also happened to recognize the dealer badge on your FJ. How does a guy in CA end up with an FJ from Paris, TN?

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Layla is gorgeous. Clapton Fan?

Nice box

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah we just figured Layla fit for her. I'm actually in the military so that's how I got to Cali, headed to Wyoming this summer. I bought her a seatbelt harness from petsmart that is made to attach to a child seat anchor with a tether but I need to find something with a swivel to keep her from pacing around and tangling the tether. The ring I have her attached to is a trapdoor pull-ring that is recessed and I attached it with 4 bolts for extra strength. As far as the rear window bouncing around, I initially put a bungee cord on it but found out it didn't really need it.

·
fka trailman
849 Posts
nice idea with the box build. mu wife loves your pup he looks like she is wearing pants

1 - 9 of 9 Posts