Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

441 - 459 of 459 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
Oh, nah - the truck isn't ever going to get sold unless I go bankrupt, develop full blown mad cow disease, or something along those lines. There's a long back story behind it, but that truck has way too much emotional attachment. Even if it's currently completely non-functional :)

Re: the up travel: I haven't had the springs in yet, so I don't know where the neutral stance height is going to shake out. Plus, I have a whole bunch of weight off the truck right now in terms of the skids, the roof rack, the spare tire, etc. The reasonable good news is that I can get almost up to full compression on the shock (or will be able to with 2" stops) without hitting the wheel well (but will need to trim off a bunch of plastic off the fender thingys). On droop, I can get within about (just over) an inch of max shock extension. The shocks have 11.5" travel (that's a weirdly familiar number :)) so my guess is that as-is I'm probably getting maybe 9.5-10" out of it (that's symmetric travel). On twist / flex, it's going to be a lot more total wheel (asymmetric) travel. One of the things I did do was checkout tire stuff on max flex and think I'm OK (that's the "not hitting the wheel well" thing, above - just realized that probably wasn't clear).

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
not the mir207 machine

xxxx

·
Registered
875 Posts
I was gonna comment and say you have an awesome build, but then I noticed the "Go Spurs" and I dont think I will like your build anymore. haha. Just kiddin

You have a pretty cool build. How are you liking the ARB bumper?, any regrets? I am in the process of putting my order in, but I am confused on what fit kits , fog light kits, wiring loom, etc. to order. Any suggestions on what I would need. I have an 07 FJ.

Go Gunners!!!

** Also, do you have any more details on how you mounted the d-ring shackles on the ARB bumper?

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
Don't pick on the Spur's - didn't mum ever tell you it was unkind to mock those weaker and less capable! :)

Seriously, the hype was there, but you tell from game 1 and on this season that they weren't going to be generating much chances given AVB player choices. The goal difference in the table is astonishing, with the bug guys having like +30 or so and we're stuck on 0 - or bouncing around zero. Still could be worse, we could me Man U :lol:

The D rings were juts drilled all the way through and bolted. I'll have to remember if they were just backplated or if the bolt went through the frame, too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You sir have my favorite FJ, did you just buy the crawl box from marlin crawler? Or did you piece mil stuff together. I also have a m6 and triple sticks in my 79, so I'm some what familiar

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Oh, nah - the truck isn't ever going to get sold unless I go bankrupt, develop full blown mad cow disease, or something along those lines. There's a long back story behind it, but that truck has way too much emotional attachment. Even if it's currently completely non-functional :)
Mark...? Any progress...

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #447

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
8 years, two weeks

The photo, below, was the last drive, broken diff just north of Vegas on July 29, 2011:

After many years of not working on it, mixed with short bursts of planning and working on it... It now finally has it's Currie Ford 9 rear axle, Hi-9 rear diff, new drive shaft, MetalTech rear links, custom rear upper (finally no longer resting on the fuel tank at full droop), bent rear panhard (so that it doesn't hit the huge Ford 9 pumpkin), Icon long travel adjustable rears, and blingy updated King remotes with the spaceship cooling vents). Yeah, the panhard needs reducing by about an inch... Just psyched to finally drive it again for the first time in over eight years:

The major bits worked on - I'll start doing a write-up on the epic odyssey of mods that was the last 8 years:

Everything buttoned up except for the wheels:

Had fun with making the brake lines:

Finally, finally, finally moving again:

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
Wow! A real blast from the past!
Yes, realized it's a whole new world here - I might need to do a fresh Newbie town post, "hello, my name is..."

That's pretty cool! Can't believe you waited all these years.
It wasn't so much waiting as having no time or choice :mecry: But life is better with a drivable FJ. :blueblob: <-- at least the emoji's here are still "classic mid-2000" :smile

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #455

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
I had sort-of jerry-rigged things to get the truck running to pass smog, get legal to drive again, etc. So after a few months of enjoying having it back again, it's time to strip things down again.

Last days of usage:

Friend of mine stretching it out a little:

The main things I need to do are to get the new compressor installed using Bandi's mount system, and get the air plumbing hooked up for the front and rear ARB lockers. I also wanted to make proper use of the central dash-top cluster and to take the opportunity to clean up a bunch of old, added-piecemeal electrical lines for aux devices. Tracing some of the older wires back, I realized I needed to take some panels off the interior, and then getting that far I realized I should take advantage to fully strip down the vehicle, clean it up, and hushmat it. So this is now going to be a somewhat longer process.

Here's the dash cluster part way through. It had pressure gauges to read the line pressures going to the lockers. I always disliked the lack of certainty with the ARB air lockers vs. the old stock elocker where I got dash confirmation that I was locked up. The gauges don't do that, but if the pressure is up above 70PSI (or better yet 100+), then they're locked and I don't have a line leak. The aux fuel tank gauge is also up there.

As an aside, the aux fuel tank gave me some worries after the very long driving hiatus (2011-2019) as initially it wouldn't read or run the transfer pump. However, after a while (in which I tried to get parts specs from the relocated Man-A-Fre - but too old for them to have info; and Ben, even further relocated back to Queensland), it simply started working again. On Ben's advice, if it goes out again, I'm dropping it and changing out for an external transfer pump like MAF's newer models.

Having got the ARB compressor lined up in the engine bay, I was not crazy happy with the clearance to the 2007 stock air cleaner tubing running into the engine air filter, so that is likely all to get slightly reworked and my TRD CAI will finally get put on. This seems to create a lot more space to the right of the ARB compressor / tank in the Bandi mount and my manifold and locker actuators will go there:

Cleaned up the engine bay near the installation a little bit. Need to consolidate a lot of the random aux device relay wiring into a new, clean relay box:

The stripping down the interior has been fun - man, did it get dirty and dusty in there. With the plastic finally off, I've been cleaning using soapy water and a wet/dry shop vac. Still need to get the stock material liner (pad) off and will replace with closed cell neoprene.

Doing some of the clean up near the dash, I finally found some old, disused alarm and lojack pieces (both from dealership back in 2006). There was a good amount of bulk wiring with these, and since I haven't used either in a very long time - and hate the honk of the horn on the locking the vehicle, I decided to debulk and get rid of them. The procomp alarm I had on there had a good sized harness taping into the ignition key mechanism.

LoJack:

Main alarm below steering column:

Secondary alarm piece behind centre console:

Wiring loom for alarm:

Debulked junk after removal. That'll clean up the wiring back there a little:

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
Dang it.....welcome back OG!
Thanks :) Not sure if it's necroposting if it's to your own thread, but I figured I should post up now I'm working on new stuff again.

441 - 459 of 459 Posts