Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, I pulled the trigger to mod my 2010 FJ!

I use my FJ primarily as a daily driver. Here in WA state it rains or snows half of the year so I really enjoy the full-time 4WD drivetrain. It makes a significant difference on those slippery slopes. As the weather start to get better, I plan to go out for some light wheeling, so the offroad mods are on their way!

Just added/ordered the following recently:

• Roof rack
  • Sliders
  • Rear LCA and skids

Not sure where to go next though. I'm really tempted to lift the FJ, if not just for the look. After spending some time on this forum, I learned about lots of consequences of a 3" lift:

• The CV axle angles can change. A differential drop can make it better, but it also drops the skids, which affects my decision on skid plates.
  • The sway bar may need to be relocated. On the 2010 FJ, a relocated sway bar can rub with the front brace, so the brace and the front skid plate need to be lowered, again, affects my decision on skid plates. Also it is not clear whether it will make the front jacking point entirely unusable...
  • The UCA may need to be changed to correct camber and provide enough travel for the lift. The aftermarket UCAs look nice, but I heard that they all need very frequent lubrication work.
  • With all the money spent on the lift, I've got to run 35" tires! A body mount chop is on the way, and it sounds like some re-gearing is not far down the road...

Does these make sense? Sound like a lot to a newbie. maybe I'll just skip the lift for now and live with the 32" BFG T/A tires. Longer term I may consider some bumpers and a winch and OME 883 to level the front. But again, the no-lift decision is a hard one to make. :mecry:

So what's next. Maybe a full set of skids. There are choices like aluminum vs. steel, high-profile vs. smooth surface, etc... research and advice needed!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi! Another newbie here, but I've also done quite a bit of searching on these forums about modding my FJ. While I'm not the most knowledgeable on the subject, I think I can provide a few answer for you.

Geometry changes: Many members on here apparently are running 3" lifts without a diff drop and have been for many years with no troubles. I believe if you go above 3" though you would require a diff drop.

Front sway bar: not sure on that affecting your skids. I'd contact the manufacturer to find out for sure, but I imagine that most people running skids have a lift as well and the manufacturer should have taken this into account. That being said, never assume anything.

Aftermarket UCAs: Not sure about the frequent lubrication. Guess I'll find out shortly when my LR UCAs and ICON Stage 1 show up in a few weeks :rocker:

Tires: You won't need to run 35s, but you'd likely want to upsize to about 33". I think the FJ looks a little odd with a 3" lift and stock wimpy skins.

Good luck and happy Modding :bigthumb:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front sway bar: not sure on that affecting your skids. I'd contact the manufacturer to find out for sure, but I imagine that most people running skids have a lift as well and the manufacturer should have taken this into account. That being said, never assume anything.
The rubbing between relocated sway bar and brace is only a problem for 2010+ models. I've found three options but none is ideal:
  • take off the brace
  • take off the sway bar
  • use spacers to lower the brace & front skid

Aftermarket UCAs: Not sure about the frequent lubrication. Guess I'll find out shortly when my LR UCAs and ICON Stage 1 show up in a few weeks :rocker:
Just search around for a bit more... it looks like different UCAs are different on this aspect, and I've heard people say LR UCA doesn't require much lubrication. Sounds like a good choice you've made!

Tires: You won't need to run 35s, but you'd likely want to upsize to about 33". I think the FJ looks a little odd with a 3" lift and stock wimpy skins.
Yes 33"/285s looks popular. But that is only 1" above the stock size... with thousands of dollars spent on suspension upgrades, don't you want the bigfoot...

Good luck and happy Modding :bigthumb:
You too :cheers:

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
:) welcome from a fellow WA FJC guy. Best advice... Give Metal Tech a call. They will give you the right advice for setting up your suspension to match your needs. They are one of the FJC vendors around and they are close. I run down to their place in OR. when ever I need anything. Best guys around.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:) welcome from a fellow WA FJC guy. Best advice... Give Metal Tech a call. They will give you the right advice for setting up your suspension to match your needs. They are one of the FJC vendors around and they are close. I run down to their place in OR. when ever I need anything. Best guys around.

Good luck to you.
Thanks for the advice! I've been drooling on the MT bumper but didn't realize that they are so close :cheers:

Just ordered a set of Ricochet skids. Getting over the "first $2000" mark...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just ordered some 265 BFG TA KOs and a Powertank regulator kit with 10# tanks. Starting to feel good. Hope the weather gets better soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts