Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
At what point do you need a diff drop kit and swaybar relocation brackets?
Some people highly recommend diff drop kits with any kind of lift and some swear against them. I don't think it is a bad idea to have one if you feel like it is a concern since they are supposed to reduce strain on the CV axles. I had them on my last FJ with a spacer lift and then I don't have them on my current FJ with Icon coilovers. So it is just personal preference/peace of mind.

And swaybar relocation brackets become necessary when you upgrade your front coilovers to 2.5" (diameter) coilovers. My Icon 2.5 coilovers for example were within millimeters of contacting the sway bar so I got the relocation bracket which moves the swaybar slightly forward so contact will not occur but doesn't compromise the swaybar's effectiveness. Now contact isn't an issue! :bigthumb:

Hope this helps!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I have a '07 FJ, Is it possible to use Old Man Emu 3'' suspension kit with a 6'' ProComp lift kit?
No not really. The 6" lift from Fabtech will have all the components you'd need to achieve 6" of lift height. Among all the components it replaces the rear coil springs with 6" coil springs and rear shocks with ones designed for the 6" of lift. And in the front if you purchase the $1,900 kit it reuses the factory front coilovers and adds a 6" spacer on top. If you purchase the $2,900 kit the only difference is the MX2.75RE front adjustable coilover shocks designed for a 6" lift, they are huge!

The regular Old Man Emu 3" lift will only come with the rear coils and shocks, and front shock and coil which will need to be assembled before installation which I believe requires a spring compressor. The components in this kit are all designed for a 3" ride height so if that were to try and be combined with the 6" Pro Comp lift, it wouldn't work. The front coilovers from OME especially wouldn't work with the 6" lift.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
Made quite a few changes to the original post that to update listings. Some notable changes include the new photos and info that are now on the Jeepin By Al (JBA), Revtek, Sway-A-Way, and Trail Master listings.

Jeepin By Al deserved better quality photos that show off their products and show how they have better articulation range than even uni-ball shocks, thus making them perfect for extended travel coilovers.

Revtek has updated their selection and added new products to their FJ lineup, most notable of which is their new Pro Kit which is 3" front/2" rear with new front integrated anti-vibration technology to improve ride quality.

Skyjacker also updated their selection but has no photos basically so the old photos are still used on the listing.

Sway-A-Way themselves no longer offers products for the FJ Cruiser, but aFe Power (or aFe Control) recently acquired the Sway-A-Way product line and continues to offer the same high quality products.

And surprisingly, Trail Master updated their selection and now offers a 6" lift kit for the FJ Cruiser! Not sure if it is bolt on like Rough Country or requires cutting and welding like the Pro Comp and Fabtech 6" lifts.

Also decided to remove the Walker Evans listing and post it here just for posterity since it would appear that they no longer produce products for the FJ Cruiser.

No longer available:

Walker Evans

Type: Shocks

KIT:
All-Pro Front Walker Evans Coil-Overs
Walker Evans Rear Shocks

Price: $150-$1,300

Pictures:

Details: Front coilovers come pre-assembled and adjusted to approximately 2" of lift, but can be easily adjusted to 3.5" of suspension lift with the included spanner wrench. They feature industry leading 3/4" heims, zinc coated bodies, nitrided steel shafts, and billet upper mounts. Available with or without remote reservoir. The 2.5 rear shocks completely re-buildable and re-valvable. They have optional remote reservoirs available for installation on trucks that will see a lot of high speed running, as the reservoirs increase fluid capacity and dissipate heat even better.

Notes: Resivores must now mount vertically to accommodate 2012+ FJ Cruisers. Also, Walker Evans recently released quick adjustable shocks which make it super easy to adjust the stiffness or softness of your ride. However, because All-Pro debuted this at the FJ Summit 2013 and haven't put any info about it on their site, I will wait to post more info until I have the official specs.

·
Registered
194 Posts
FJX2000, Like so many others have said, this is an amazing thread. I have read all 13 pages and am grateful that you keep it up to date. Now, I just need to figure out what to get.

I have bookmarked Toytec,, OME and Rough Country. Considering 295's so I think I need a 3" lift and just a set of 5100's won't work. If anyone has any opinions, I am happy for your thoughts/advice.

EDIT: I am really leaning towards a set of 5100's front and rear with these springs. Under $1000
http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/3-Lift-w-front-rear-coils-for-07FJ-and-104Runner_p_157.html

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
FJX2000, Like so many others have said, this is an amazing thread. I have read all 13 pages and am grateful that you keep it up to date. Now, I just need to figure out what to get.

I have bookmarked Toytec,, OME and Rough Country. Considering 295's so I think I need a 3" lift and just a set of 5100's won't work. If anyone has any opinions, I am happy for your thoughts/advice.

EDIT: I am really leaning towards a set of 5100's front and rear with these springs. Under $1000
3" FJ Lift w/ front & rear coils
I wanted the adjustability to account for weight that would be added in the future so I went with the full BOSS setup from Toytec and have no complaints about it. I also sprung for the LR UCAs to make alignents easier but those can always be added later.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wanted the adjustability to account for weight that would be added in the future so I went with the full BOSS setup from Toytec and have no complaints about it. I also sprung for the LR UCAs to make alignents easier but those can always be added later.
Do you have the link to that setup 'full BOSS setup from Toytec' that you got your FJ? I'm considering it, and wanted to make sure I'm looking at the correct one.

Thanks!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Do you have the link to that setup 'full BOSS setup from Toytec' that you got your FJ? I'm considering it, and wanted to make sure I'm looking at the correct one.

Thanks!
Be sure to always look at suspension options for your model year FJ (just cuz FJ BRUZER shared a link for 2010+ FJs and I'm not sure what your model year is) but here is the BOSS Suspension link for 07-09 FJ Cruisers.

Boss Suspension System for 03-09 4Runner, 07-09 FJ

And then here is the link for the BOSS Performance Suspension kit. The "Performance" kit will have larger diameter shocks for better dampening and handling as well as external reservoirs for the rear shocks.

25BOSS-FJ3KP - Boss Performance Suspension System for 03-09 4Runner, 07-09 FJ, 03-09 GX470

·
Registered
831 Posts
I can't seem to find Toytec coil overs with Bilstein shocks anymore. Did they stop doing that?

·
Registered
831 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
I guess my next question would be, do they have the heavier duty Bilsteins with the Toytecs?
They have a kit to turn Bilstein 5100s into adjustable coilovers but I don't think they utilize the newer Bilstein 6112s or 5160s in any of their kits.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

That looks like a smokin' price! Does the ride get more harsh than say, the factory Bilstein Trail Team suspension? I'm currently running the 2014 TT 5100 shocks on my 07, and just love what they did to the ride over the standard shocks. I'm wondering how much better it could get from that going with this kit?

I ask because I like the factory ride, and I don't plan to load the back down because it's my DD, as well as my toy, therefore I would opt for the softer rear springs in the BOSS kit.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Be sure to always look at suspension options for your model year FJ (just cuz FJ BRUZER shared a link for 2010+ FJs and I'm not sure what your model year is) but here is the BOSS Suspension link for 07-09 FJ Cruisers.

Boss Suspension System for 03-09 4Runner, 07-09 FJ

And then here is the link for the BOSS Performance Suspension kit. The "Performance" kit will have larger diameter shocks for better dampening and handling as well as external reservoirs for the rear shocks.

25BOSS-FJ3KP - Boss Performance Suspension System for 03-09 4Runner, 07-09 FJ, 03-09 GX470
Thank you for clearing that out, I didn't notice it was for 2010 .. mine is 07, so the one you sent me will work :)

121 - 140 of 144 Posts