Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had narrowed my favorites to two, (EXP1 or Demello), then your post and now I like that LOD one the best, maybe, I think. Clean lines, backup lights, tug points, hitch provision. Do you have it? Was it easy to install?
I've had the LOD on mine for a couple years and had an LOD on my jeep before.
Good bumper with nice swing out tire carrier, Gerry cans etc, but they pissed me off. The bumper didn't line up right, took 5 + hours messing with it to get it to mount up and then the spare has standard lugs on it so I had to buy a new set of lugs and locks just for the spare. Not very bright on their part and when I told him about it he said "yeah we could custom make something"... custom? I mean, c'mon on a 1500$ bumper with all the extras I got? Seriously? Well, never heard from them again... would I buy it again? No way... if it gets damaged it's getting an exp 1...
You can see it in my build thread scrufy animal. Nice bumper but not worth the trouble.

Edit - guess I don't have a full on back picture but this is a side view of the LOD...

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Glad to hear your bumper is put to good use! I like having a trailer hitch so the rocks scrape on that and not the actual bumper haha
Metal Tech sells a hitch receiver that bolts to the frame or if you want a bit more protection, you could get a Curt or Reese receiver hitch.

On a side note, it looks like Metal Tech isn't selling the original Red Eye anymore... Or at least it's not on their website.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Considering how much the frame flexes, the body is on rubber cushions mounted to the frame making even more movement, that rear fender is going to get crushed in a bind.
good point, its like ADD and fabfours.
Are there actual reported instances of people flexing their bumpers into their body panels? Or are you both just assuming? The only reason I'm asking is because I really like the WAM bumper design :grin

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Are there actual reported instances of people flexing their bumpers into their body panels? Or are you both just assuming? The only reason I'm asking is because I really like the WAM bumper design :grin
Yes, here is a custom fab with fender damage from rigid rear bumper fender panels (RIP bobby).

WAM would need some serious gaps to avoid this.

My Demello front flat top scars the trim panels on flex.

Flex is a real thing, clearance or plastic is the answer.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Yes, here is a custom fab with fender damage from rigid rear bumper fender panels (RIP bobby).

WAM would need some serious gaps to avoid this.

My Demello front flat top scars the trim panels on flex.

Flex is a real thing, clearance or plastic is the answer.
Thanks for the visual! Luckily I like the design of their hybrid carrier more which leaves the plastic panels intact :grin

·
Registered
122 Posts
Might want to remove All Pro from the list as they discontinued their bumpers almost a year ago.. Lame as I was JUST ready to order one when Tracy let me know when I asked where they went on their website awhile back. Still interested if someone had one to sell so I could match all the way around.. have AP everywhere EXCEPT the rear.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Might want to remove All Pro from the list as they discontinued their bumpers almost a year ago.. Lame as I was JUST ready to order one when Tracy let me know when I asked where they went on their website awhile back. Still interested if someone had one to sell so I could match all the way around.. have AP everywhere EXCEPT the rear.
Wow very true. Sad day! Here is the All Pro listing for posterity's sake. Removed it from the original listing.

All-Pro Offroad
FJCruiserForums Supporting Vendor

Available - Not Available
Price - $649.00 MSRP
Construction - One-piece, 3/16″ steel plate with heavy-duty 3/8″ mounting brackets
Finish - Raw or +$240 For Powdercoating
Shackle Mounts - 2 Tied Directly to Frame
Weight - ???
Factory Back-up Sensor Compatible? - Yes
Tow Hitch - Optional - Add on Part for $99.00
Additional Recovery Points - Yes
Lights: 4" Integrated Light Mounts
Tire Carrier - No, Factory Mount
Notes: Bolt on & Minor Frame Drilling Required, High Clearance Design

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Updated the photos for LCNW's rear bumper and also added LoD to the comparison. :bigthumb:

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Added the new duel rear swingout from Expedition One! Got to see it in person at the FJ Summit and it looks great! Photos show the prototype design but it isn't too different than the final FJ Specific swing out arms since these shown are from the 4Runner.

Attachments

21 - 37 of 37 Posts