Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I just got off the phone with Steve, who is accessory marketing manager with Toyota USA. Besides being a very nice guy, he is also my contact at Toyota in regards to the new supercharger coming out in the next 10 or so months. I'll be one of the first, if not the first to get it, so I'm excited. It will be going on my 2010 FJ! yay!

I asked Steve if he would be willing to do a little question and answer session via email with the forum. So I am posting this thread to gather YOUR questions. It will be a mix of what i think are the best, well written questions, that will illicit informative answers that everyone can benefit from, and those that seem to rise as "crowd favorites". Some he may not be able to answer.

He's agreed to answer about 10 of our questions, and maybe more if he has time. He will be running the answers by the engineers if needed, so that they have some solid answers. Of course, remember anything answered now is of course based on early answers, and could change... but aren't you itching to find out all you can??

I think it's awesome he's agreed to help us out, dispel any rumors, and hopefully get some great interaction that might be hard to do otherwise.

So what topics guys and gals? Lets make em good!

Cost? Engine Compression? Install? Torque? HP? MPG? Boost? OMG!?

Pics compliments of/stolen from wilson at TRDparts4u of the supercharged TRD demo vehicle at FJ Summit 2012.

·
Registered
784 Posts
How does it affect the warranty? Does it bump down the powertrain warranty?

I ask because of the superchargers Ford Racing offered, depending on what flavor you went with, you went from a 5/60k mile powertrain warranty to a 3/36, or if you bought the big daddy, your warranty was done.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I'm interested in that as well - warranty and impact on overall lifetime of engine (the latter may have already been answered when they released the previous model).

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'd love to know what the projected hp/torque gain would be

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Estimated loss in mileage.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
I'd like to know why it's taken/taking so long. Not complaining, I'm just curious.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
I would like to know what Jess just asked and why they wasted everyones time at Summit showing it when its projected sale date is July next year... I have been waiting since 2009 for this and its nuts theytook all this time designing it and showing it off to shelve it for another 10- 12 more months...

Besides having the $$ in hand, I even had a Toyota dealership who would install at their cost to have something to promote (seeing as Im out of town for extended periods- My rig could be showroom bound).

Oh and you cant be the first... the one in the pictures already beat ya to it :lol:

I guess I would like to know torque seeing is thats my driving factor needed to turn 35" tires with beadlocks over rocks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
TRD senior engineer ,Ted Moncure, who is one of the ones in charge of the project was at the Summit and answered any and all questions. He was the one that gave it away in the raffle.

On the dyno they are getting 340hp/345ft/lb torque and it's running 8 psi boost.

Taking so long......Next year because it supposedly takes that long to get it certified in all 50 states,tool up for parts ect and mother Toyota makes them test it in 2 vehicles for a year for reliability and warranty issues. He was putting the the second one,that was for show on the table on a 4Runner for testing when he got back.

Begged and pleaded(offered bribe.lol) to let me be the tester at my own risk.........to no avail.:bangin:

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
On the dyno they are getting 340hp/345ft/lb torque and it's running 8 psi boost.
Ok so with my Atlas to be installed with 10:1 crawl... thats ...Ummm a lot of torque?!:lol:

Well at least it will be worth it if it ever comes. By then I may have moved on to my next project so who knows...:rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
My biggest real question is whether it will require the TRD intake, or whether it can be used with any other aftermarket intakes (K&N for example).

Obviously I will go with whatever I have to, but if I could stick with my K&N I'd be much happier.

Now to sit back and continue waiting. I can only hope this new "summer 2013" date doesn't slip like the last few "official" release dates.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Will it need an FJC adapter/install kit and if so how much..?

:bigthumb:

Q

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
The supercharger and fit kit for the 2012 Tacoma costs less than $3900 at TRDParts4U. Doesn't the Taco have the same engine as our 2010+ FJ's? The TRD reps at the Summit guesstimated a cost over $5000 for the FJ supercharger. Why so much more?

Why wouldn't a FJ "fit kit" allow us to use the Taco supercharger? I'm sure I'll get grief over this post. :lol:

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
The supercharger and fit kit for the 2012 Tacoma costs less than $3900 at TRDParts4U. Doesn't the Taco have the same engine as our 2010+ FJ's? The TRD reps at the Summit guesstimated a cost over $5000 for the FJ supercharger. Why so much more?

Why wouldn't a FJ "fit kit" allow us to use the Taco supercharger? I'm sure I'll get grief over this post. :lol:
They were probably guessing MSRP, or retail pricing.
Anytime i have watched interviews with folks about a product and they ask about pricing they always spout off MSRP prices. Most companies have an MSRP and a MAP. TRDparts4u is probably selling at the MAP.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
I should have known that you'd know! :lol: Shouldn't you be out wakeboarding in the rain? Happy Birthday again buddy! :king:for a day.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
I should have known that you'd know! :lol: Shouldn't you be out wakeboarding in the rain? Happy Birthday again buddy! :king:for a day.
Layonn knows all.

All hail the Toyota god.

This app blows

·
Registered
69 Posts

The Taco's are still getting the older single vvt-i 4.0 like the 2007-2009 FJ's.

Toyota Tacoma Truck - 2012 Performance & Specifications

1 - 20 of 78 Posts