Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Walking around the ShotShow 2011 and came across a vendor from Texas called Americase. The display caught my eye and the they offered me 25% off cash and carry on the last day of the show. ($335 ) weighing in at 32 lbs, it was my checked luggage for the flight back.
So that is exactly what I did. Came with 3 sets of mounting brackets, I chose the medium as opposed to the flush mount, so I could still keep my stock floor mat and remove it when needed.
A little taller than I needed, but it serves its purpose

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I don't really get what it is you're saying, but I can see the pic, and I like it. It's different. Would it be better to pull it to the very rear? As it is now, you can't really put any crap in front of it, or else you wont be able to open it.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^ I agree. I can't tell what it is either. All I can tell is it's a metal box that looks as though it's lockable, and it's "mounted" to the rear. Since he was talking about guns, I'm assuming it's a gun safe. But at the moment, it could be an Oompa Loompa coffin for all I know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I did fail to explain it. It is a firearm case, but dimensionally it fits within 1 1/2" between the wheel wells. Due to the fact I work in Chicago, and " guns kill people" here, so I can travel responsibly and safely.

I mounted it to the rear so I could still access the power supply and the compartment to the left.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I guess I did fail to explain it. It is a firearm case, but dimensionally it fits within 1 1/2" between the wheel wells. Due to the fact I work in Chicago, and " guns kill people" here, so I can travel responsibly and safely.

I mounted it to the rear so I could still access the power supply and the compartment to the left.
aHA.

Thats what i thought it was. Are you planning on bolting it down to the cargo hooks that it is near?

BTW, in Louisiana, i can drive around with a loaded firearm in my passenger seat if i want to. Doesn't need to be concealed at all. Living in Louisiana does have some advantages, haha.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the mounting brackets that come it with are L shaped and mount slightly under the plastic for the wheel wells. its bolted down now, but I'm really not excited about the look.
The first attempt, I removed the " ramp" under the forward mounting hooks, and it didn't line up well, but does sit 1/8" below the wheel humps.
I'll have to reconsider mounting it somewhere else or upside down?

If you can thing of an advantage of living up here, I'm all ears.
Other than my job, there are 48 friendlier states.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
the mounting brackets that come it with are L shaped and mount slightly under the plastic for the wheel wells. its bolted down now, but I'm really not excited about the look.
The first attempt, I removed the " ramp" under the forward mounting hooks, and it didn't line up well, but does sit 1/8" below the wheel humps.
I'll have to reconsider mounting it somewhere else or upside down?

Hotdogs?:facelick:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
It looks nice on the bay :)

I went there to vist my girlfriend while she was there for a few months for work. Cities that big are not my cup of tea.

You should visit Louisiana its crawfish season now :)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
more hotdogs. :facelick:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
more hotdogs. :facelick:

Mmmmm...Portillos nuf said :bigthumb:

To play the devils advocate...(I am not opposed to the idea...but just for the sake of discussion)

I can't say that having a lock box in your vehicle is going to provide anymore security other than a sense of feeling good.

I had my truck stolen 2 years ago (luckily no weapons on board) and I have done some serious reflecting on the subject since. I was told when my truck was stolen "locks only keep honest theives out".

several lessons learned

1) If someone wants your vehicle....it is gone

2) Never leave anything in your vehicle that you are not willing to lose.

3) Resist leaving anything of value in the open that may entice someone to break in (A large lock box surely falls into that category).

The thought of having one of my guns in the possession of a criminal is something that I have worried about. When my track was stolen in Kansas City...it was just plain dumb luck that there was not a pistol in it.

There is no clear answer on how to safely carry a long gun in your vehicle other than it is best if no one really knows the weapon is there or not.

As far as legal carry of a weapon in a vehicle, most states state that the weapon must be in a trunk or case. Usually the ammunition needs to be in a separate compartment or case.

Specifically for Chicago...

Note: In Chicago it is unlawful to keep any firearm unless it has been registered with the Chicago Police.

Transport guidelines(what is allowed)

transportation of firearms that are broken down in a non-functioning state or are not immediately accessible, and transportation, carrying, or possession of a firearm which is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container, by the possessor of a valid FOID.

I guess that the point that I am trying to make is that by keeping a long gun in the back of your FJ....it really does not help you in 99 percent of the emergencies where you may need a gun (unless, you are carrying a pistol to act as a buffer until you get to the long gun:)).

The safe box may just act as an attractant for someone to break into your vehicle as well.

My advice: Get a instant access pistol safe and keep it within reach. Take the pistol with you when you leave the car.

Doc

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
I guess that the point that I am trying to make is that by keeping a long gun in the back of your FJ....it really does not help you in 99 percent of the emergencies where you may need a gun.
Very valid point, Doc. If you don't have immediate access to a firearm when you need it, why even have it in your vehicle to begin with?? (Unless you're transporting to or from hunting or the range.) :confused:

Very few gunfights have provisions for a "time-out while I go fetch my gun." :worried:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hindsight, that part of Chicago law you cited is accurate only for the CITY of chicago.
outside of the City, you can carry the weapon as long as ammunition is separated from the actual weapon.

Steve, I totally agree with you.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I like it. I transport long guns to and from my range as well as on hunting trips, and this is a great solution rather than having a lot of loose gun cases in the rear.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
What is the model number. The Americase site does not show pics so it is hard to find which one this is.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well being an American and from Indianapolis Indiana and having been in the army. etc etc
I now live in the Maritimes of Canada and i must say it was really strange not being allowed to own a handgun!!!!!
That being said no one else owns one either !!!!!
So it's not a bad thing ... Altho i do miss having my 9 mm....

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I like it. I transport long guns to and from my range as well as on hunting trips, and this is a great solution rather than having a lot of loose gun cases in the rear.
There is another point, that is great if you like taking your guns apart. A majority of my guns would not even fit...esp in a case.

Total width of FJ Compartment = 41.5 inches (which makes the box ~ 39-40 inches wide)

Ithica Feather light 45 inches

Russian SKS 40 inches

Romanian PSL 46 inches

AR15 (A1, 20 inch barrel) 40.5 inches

"Boys" .55 Anti Tank rifle 63.5 inches :lol:

Again, I am not knocking the product...I just fail to see any specific usefulness for it in a vehicle. For the same price, you could have a pelican case locked to the cargo hooks on the floor.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hindsight, that part of Chicago law you cited is accurate only for the CITY of chicago.
outside of the City, you can carry the weapon as long as ammunition is separated from the actual weapon.

Steve, I totally agree with you.
Didn't I mention that?

Doc

·
One Man Wolf Pack
137 Posts
I agree that I would not carry my guns in my FJ unless I was on my way to shoot. If my FJ is stolen I would be heartbroken, but if I had my guns in the car I would be so worried about them being used to harm someone.

I do want a safe vault for my FJ thought. I've been keeping my eyes open for a while now. It would be nice if you could take it in and out and have it lock down to the hook straps in the rear. It would be cool if you could have the option of a shelf that pulls out of the bottom as a reloading table.

off topic, MP5 fun for those who like to shoot at the range.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very valid point, Doc. If you don't have immediate access to a firearm when you need it, why even have it in your vehicle to begin with?? (Unless you're transporting to or from hunting or the range.) :confused:

Very few gunfights have provisions for a "time-out while I go fetch my gun." :worried:
I'm not looking to have a shootout at the ok corral. I'm more worried about the cops that anything. If its locked and out of reach then my AR's and such can't get me in trouble " traveling through"

No, Its by no means meant to keep them safe from an intruder, just the kind with a badge.
I do have a pistol drawer mounted under the seat, again, just for transport through the city.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts