Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yep, add me too. I'd like to know more about my 4x2 as well. I have LSD and rr diff. We need our own area on here. I've been looking for 4x2 related posts myself but the majority of them are full of 4x4 owners bashing 4x2 owners. Honestly I'm tired of reading all of the 4x2 hating so it would be nice to have a space for us to share our thoughts and experiences. I may go offroad a lil down the road but that is not why I bought this vehicle. I just really like it. I have never been offroad in any of my vehicles so why would owning a vehicle now that is capable of going offroad but only slightly less capable of a stock 4x4 be a bad decision for me. Um well it isn't. I love my SUV. On this board it seems as if most 4x4 owners think 4x2 owners are posers and not worthy of such a vehicle. How stupid. How many 4x4's are actually taken offroad and how often at that. The majority of drivers drive mostly on paved streets. I'd say a 4x4 on pavement looks a lil more like a poser than an offroad 4x2 SUV would look offroad if someone has to be a poser. For my purposes the 4x2 is my sweetspot and 4x4 would be an overkill. Be proud of what you have. This forum seems to be a FJ Cruiser offroad forum, not a FJ Cruiser forum. There is a difference. As one of the better handling and comfortable SUVs on pavement, its a shame to only focus on half of what this SUV can do. Especially if driving on pavement is what most of us mainly use this vehicle for. I may actually get a lift with bigger tires but I may not be able to get into some parking structures at malls, grocery stores etc. Yeah I said it, I may not do that mod because I may not be able to get into the parking structure at a mall. I bet 4x4 owners are laughing at that. Lol Thats alright if those 4x4 owners have another car as a daily driver but for those owners like myself with one vehicle in the household it would be stupid and a major inconvenience to have to always look for street parking which may be blocks away. The lift and tires is a cool look but if it is too high for my malls and grocery stores in cali then forget it. Ha what what?

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
Hey Nine12 - There are pics of my 4X2 on the Mojave Trail. I was BONE FACTORY STOCK down to the completely aired up (45 lbs air) factory Dunlops. I made the whole trail, from Nevada to Barstow, only getting stuck once because I didn't air down the tires. I went EVERYWHERE our 4WD bretheren went - all the inclines, declines, water-fording, and everything. There is NO REASON you can't do Mojave in your FJ.

Welcome to the herd, guys!!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Terrific Prerunner thread!

For those who might not know, one of your fearless FJSummit.org Co-Directors owns a capable 2WD! See the chronicles of my first trip to Ouray in 2006:

postcard from ouray

and the timeless classic:

ouray of the day

My Prerunner has conquered the Alpine Loop, Engineers, Cinnamon, Corkscrew, California Gulch, Imogene, Yankee Boy, and Ophire Passes...

Still holding out for Black Bear and Paukeepsie.

PreRunners Forever! ( or at least until we bone up for a 4wd) :D

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Hey 4x2 owners, check out the trail report on the last Mojave trial run! There were three of us on that run and we all did well! Most people run the trail east to west and do "Dead man's DROP"in other words DOWN the drop. We did "Dead man's drop going UP in the SNOW and MUD!!(I know, I know, both way's up hill in the snow as the old story goes, but check out the pic's!)
Pic's were taken of Nala at the top, but there were two others that made it up! NEVER underestimate your 4x2!!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
This is AWESOME STUFF guys/gals. KEEP it up!!!!

Kim

·
Registered
878 Posts

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
These videos are AWESOME!!!! I am so proud! There is a very large levy by a building that I go to meetings in ALOT. I want to crawl up that thing so bad. I am just so scared that I would get arrested. NOLA cops don't put up with much at all from us non scary folks. Wish they would get more done with the REALLY scary folks.

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Been stuck in jury duty. Things are quiet today!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
:bump: :bump:
For those that needed to see this thread.:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
On Sunday I had some fun with my Taco PreRunner.

On the way home from Costco with three bags of fertizer in the bed I noticed a dirt road and wondered, where does that go? I turn off the road and onto this little dirt trial. About 100 or so feet in it turns and turns to mud/water. In the very middle there is an area that looks to be about 6" deep. I engage the locker and go for it. Going steady at about 15 I'm shocking My Dad who was in the truck with Me and has doubted the locker. I get up to where its flooded and decide there is not turning back now and hit the gas. Turns out it was about 9" deep and I could feel the back end digging. I manage to crawl out. Trial turns again and I can see the street. I get off the trail and go home. We get out of the truck and its covered in mud, my neighbor says "I thought that was 2wd". Hahahaha. Needles to say, My Dad wants to swap His 2007 SE Camry for a double cab PreRunner.

I was also on stock tires.

Locker FTW

·
Registered
588 Posts
People don't realize it, but if you know how to drive and don't act like an idiot, a 2wd can be just as good as a 4wd. I'm planning on trying mine out when I go home this weekend at my buddy's property.... Plenty of trails, mud, and hills to test the FJ out!

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
On Sunday I had some fun with my Taco PreRunner.

On the way home from Costco with three bags of fertizer in the bed I noticed a dirt road and wondered, where does that go? I turn off the road and onto this little dirt trial. About 100 or so feet in it turns and turns to mud/water. In the very middle there is an area that looks to be about 6" deep. I engage the locker and go for it. Going steady at about 15 I'm shocking My Dad who was in the truck with Me and has doubted the locker. I get up to where its flooded and decide there is not turning back now and hit the gas. Turns out it was about 9" deep and I could feel the back end digging. I manage to crawl out. Trial turns again and I can see the street. I get off the trail and go home. We get out of the truck and its covered in mud, my neighbor says "I thought that was 2wd". Hahahaha. Needles to say, My Dad wants to swap His 2007 SE Camry for a double cab PreRunner.

I was also on stock tires.

Locker FTW
AWESOME!!! I think that locker is a "secret" weapon!

Kim

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
People don't realize it, but if you know how to drive and don't act like an idiot, a 2wd can be just as good as a 4wd. I'm planning on trying mine out when I go home this weekend at my buddy's property.... Plenty of trails, mud, and hills to test the FJ out!
Nate, get it figured out Dude. We will test ours out down here, for sure!!!

Kim

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
41 - 60 of 130 Posts