Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had a similar squeak at the front of the truck that bugged me for months. One day I was trying to clean the windshield and put my hand on the hood for support, and got that same noise. It was the hood latch. There are some adjustable rubber bumpers undert the hood, I moved one up a millimeter, never heard that squeak again.
Thanks Loup, I'll look for those rubber bumpers.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
this past week i've been noticing a creaking from the passenger front wheel well. whenever a passenger gets in or out or if i pull on my slider or bumper to move the suspension there is loud creaks. not sure where exactly its coming from i think it might be my LR UCAs but i have checked all the bolts on suspension bumper skids ucas and nothing seems to be wrong. still drives great just bugs the crap out of me. i can also hear it when i go slow and hit a dip or flex the suspension some. any thoughts?
I have the same symptoms! Terrible squeak/pop from my front driver side suspension. I have lubed all joints and moving parts, it will also pop when turning in reverse.... It's driving me crazy... (FYI I also have LR UCAs)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have the same symptoms! Terrible squeak/pop from my front driver side suspension. I have lubed all joints and moving parts, it will also pop when turning in reverse.... It's driving me crazy... (FYI I also have LR UCAs)

I also have popping when reversing with LR UCAs. Wonder if anyone gets that pop with other aftermarket UCA's

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have ICON tubular UCA's. Every once in a while I get a single pop/twang sound in reverse. But I'm pretty sure it's the brakes. Usually depends if it was a hard stop or not.

Are you getting a single sound or multiple pop, pop, pop as you roll?

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
DESCRIPTION: Tunk, clunk coming from the rear when passing over speed bumps and such

NOISE LOCATION: Rear

PICTURE: N'A

SOLUTION/FIX: Rear passenger lower control arm, even it it looks tight, tighten it again, i did with an impact gun and noise went away

Sorry didn't mention it, i have ToYoutfitters lower control arms with All Pro front and rear skid plates ( the old one that were 1/8th thick )

Also had it in the front and i tightened the cam bolt ( alignment bolt ) on the front lower control arm, i had 1 3/4 turn loose and it solved the front problem. In the front the bushings don't last very long so maybe you should look at that and change them for Energy Suspensions or any other brand. I know that, that too solved the problem of some guys up here.

·
Registered
862 Posts
DESCRIPTION: Tunk, clunk coming from the rear when passing over speed bumps and such

NOISE LOCATION: Rear

PICTURE: N'A

SOLUTION/FIX: Rear passenger lower control arm, even it it looks tight, tighten it again, i did with an impact gun and noise went away
Do you have stock or aftermarket control arms? FJNoob and I spent lots of time trying to find this exact thunk in mine and I couldn't duplicate it. But it does happen everytime I go over a speed bump in the parking garage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
567 Posts
ahd same clicking/tumping sound while in reverse all the time...tighten the uca mounting bolt and it is gone (what a relive)

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Sound: popping/thunk from drivers side wheel well.

Diagnosis: 100% positive that it is my Light Racing UCA Ball joint.

I lifted the truck up and dismounted the wheel to find the noise and to my surprise the upper control arm has around 3-4mm of play up/down between the ballpoint and socket. I contacted LR and now I have to go through my purchasing vendor to rectify the problem. (Warrantees and RMA)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hello all! I hope I am posting this in the correct thread.

For the past year or so, I have had this annoying seat-shift type thing going on when I turn (sometimes) and/or hit bumps. The seat doesn't actually shift, but it feels like something does. It almost seems as if the brackets are not lining up.

This is especially annoying when I take the FJ in for service, because they almost always adjust my seat, and it takes so long for me to get it back to how it was.

Here is what I think is going on.

The X by the arrow seems like it shifts between there, and where it should be (the slot below it). At least that's what I hypothesize. I have never taken my seat out or apart.

Have any of you had this dilemma?

Here's a video of the sound my seat makes when jiggled.
FJ driver seat sound - YouTube

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hello all! I hope I am posting this in the correct thread.

For the past year or so, I have had this annoying seat-shift type thing going on when I turn (sometimes) and/or hit bumps. The seat doesn't actually shift, but it feels like something does. It almost seems as if the brackets are not lining up.

This is especially annoying when I take the FJ in for service, because they almost always adjust my seat, and it takes so long for me to get it back to how it was.

Here is what I think is going on.

The X by the arrow seems like it shifts between there, and where it should be (the slot below it). At least that's what I hypothesize. I have never taken my seat out or apart.

Have any of you had this dilemma?

Here's a video of the sound my seat makes when jiggled.
FJ driver seat sound - YouTube
seems very similar to one of the symptoms my driver seat experince...and when adjust the seat to lower position this loose and noise dissapears. try and see if your does too. I know is not e fix but it batters me enough to keep my seat low. :cheers:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Holy $h!t, I gotta spend more time on the forum (ya, like that's my problem :lol: ).

What a great thread! Thanks for getting this going, Shack. :bigthumb:
I haven't even read past the opening item yet, and I think I already owe you a beer. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
That may work temporarily but it will lead to a faster demise as dirt and stuff will now accumulate in there. Dry lubricant is the way to go especially for Total Chaos UCA.
Amazon.com: Tri Flow Dry Lube (2 Oz Drip Bottle): Automotive

If you get groans from your UCA, then the torque is off on the UCA. That's what TC told me and the groan did go away after proper torque to 85lb.

On the squeaky Icon UCA issue... I got tired of hitting it with WD-40 every couple of weeks. I finally just filled the space around the ball(s) with this stuff:

Worked its way down, killed the squeak, and has even lasted through some dusty nasty trail rides.

·
Registered
920 Posts
That may work temporarily but it will lead to a faster demise as dirt and stuff will now accumulate in there. Dry lubricant is the way to go especially for Total Chaos UCA.
Amazon.com: Tri Flow Dry Lube (2 Oz Drip Bottle): Automotive

If you get groans from your UCA, then the torque is off on the UCA. That's what TC told me and the groan did go away after proper torque to 85lb.
Good info! Guess I have another reason to pick up the new Icon top caps :)

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I have that same noise too! It's not a constant rattle though. It goes every few seconds when it gets cold out, I've noticed.
I've got this too. I've even taken apart my rear door to inspect what might be the culprit. My guess is the plastic clips that hold wires in the door rattle when its cold because the metal in the door shrinks up a bit. My solution was to remove the clip, line the hole with a bit of gorilla tape and put the clip back in. I haven't noticed the noise again, but that might be because I have noises coming from elsewhere that I'm focusing on more.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Heres a new one for you all. I've got a metal on metal sounding squeak whenever I make left hand turns. It gets worse the sharper I turn. I just swapped out my OEM lower links and panhard bar for others and torqued them back to spec. I also tightened everything up on the front side including my LR UCA's (which were loose), Icon's (which were loose) and my LCA's (which were also not torqued to spec).

I'm running Ricochet skids which I guess might be moving a bit, though the sound doesn't happen when turning to the right. The sound seems to come from underneath the passenger floorboard most times, and the rear passenger floorboard other times, which makes me think its something attached to the frame. I guess it could be my sliders, but I'm not positive of that. Also thought it might be the exhaust spring flange that joins the headers to the rest of the exhaust. It squeaks like a SOB when I get in there and jimmy with it, but I'm moving it so much that I can't see it going that while driving.

Anybody have any ideas?

41 - 60 of 171 Posts