Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
.... is that an OEM sunroof was never offered.

(its neat to see older threads revived) :clap:
So I am sitting here listening to my Technics 1200 turntable spin some early Beatles and Elton John and I decided to weigh in here on this lazy Sunday!

I guess that I would say that no sunroof option and the windows in the rear doors and the way-back not having a fixed open position or electric roll down capability are things that could have been improved upon.

Not complaining, just saying!!

Now here is where the vinyl kicks in as I wax philosophical:

I do think that it is way cool that Toyota honored FJ 40 legacy by bringing the FJ Cruiser to market in its memory.
I am sure that they did not make alot of money doing it, or they would have kept doing it- after all that is the way it works in business.
That said, for 4 years, from 1960 to 1964, Toyota stopped sending cars to the US market and the only thing keeping them afloat in the largest automotive market in the world was the cute little rugged FJ25 that had been introduced to the US in 1958!
I say that, to say this, it was good of them to bring back the FJ, if only for a little while, because that little truck saved their ass!!
It is hard to imagine life in the North America without Toyota!
......and Toyota Jan!! (in case you thought that I was getting a little too full of myself here on a Sunday afternoon!!
LOL..........gm

·
Registered
332 Posts
...Now here is where the vinyl kicks in as I wax philosophical:

I do think that it is way cool that Toyota honored FJ 40 legacy by bringing the FJ Cruiser to market in its memory.
I am sure that they did not make alot of money doing it, or they would have kept doing it- after all that is the way it works in business.
That said, for 4 years, from 1960 to 1964, Toyota stopped sending cars to the US market and the only thing keeping them afloat in the largest automotive market in the world was the cute little rugged FJ25 that had been introduced to the US in 1958!
I say that, to say this, it was good of them to bring back the FJ, if only for a little while, because that little truck saved their ass!!
It is hard to imagine life in the North America without Toyota!
......and Toyota Jan!! (in case you thought that I was getting a little too full of myself here on a Sunday afternoon!!
LOL..........gm
You got me thinking. I'd like to see Toyota bring back the J40 Land Cruiser in it's original styling. Like the old Willy's Jeep, that utilitarian styling of the past has a timelessness that crosses generations. As nice as the styling of today's FJ Cruiser is, I'd buy a retro looking J40 with the modern engineering under the hood and body just for the sheer thrill of it. :rocker:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I didn't like that the passenger seat didn't have an armrest. That's fixed now.

I like the door-mounted spare, but I really REALLY miss having a rear hatch to hide under in the hot sun and cold rain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm on my third windscreen and will have to get a new one before I get the car inspected/registered next year.

Ugh.

And with my deductible, they end up paying only like $20-$50 of the total cost. Fun.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Kaiju: You'd like to see Toyota bring back the J40 Land Cruiser in it's original styling. "Like the old Willy's Jeep, that utilitarian styling of the past has a timelessness that crosses generations. As nice as the styling of today's FJ Cruiser is, I'd buy a retro looking J40 with the modern engineering under the hood and body just for the sheer thrill of it."

You'll want to check out Icon Motors, then, because your wish is granted: http://www.icon4x4.com/fj

number 7: usually if you adopt a rider on your insurance called, "comprehensive" it covers all accidents outside of your control (tree falls on it, rock breaks windscreen, someone damages it while parked, etc.), and you can get a very low deductible for it relatively cheaply. Talk to your insurance agent and see.

AtomicFJ: there is no answer to the mist feature, but heated mirrors is certainly possible, order a set of heated glass from a dealer in Japan (google for english websites, and there are threads here with the part numbers) and then run power from the rear window defroster lead, et. voila! Added advantage: convex glass on both sides = much reduced blindspot

Norm

·
Registered
332 Posts
Kaiju: You'd like to see Toyota bring back the J40 Land Cruiser in it's original styling. "Like the old Willy's Jeep, that utilitarian styling of the past has a timelessness that crosses generations. As nice as the styling of today's FJ Cruiser is, I'd buy a retro looking J40 with the modern engineering under the hood and body just for the sheer thrill of it."

You'll want to check out Icon Motors, then, because your wish is granted: http://www.icon4x4.com/fj

Norm
Oooooh, that's nice! :rocker: I wonder if they'd make a hardtop pickup version instead of the softtop version?

·
Desert Moderator
5,583 Posts
You got me thinking. I'd like to see Toyota bring back the J40 Land Cruiser in it's original styling. Like the old Willy's Jeep, that utilitarian styling of the past has a timelessness that crosses generations. As nice as the styling of today's FJ Cruiser is, I'd buy a retro looking J40 with the modern engineering under the hood and body just for the sheer thrill of it. :rocker:
yeah but 2 problems -- people wolud ***** that it has no creature comforts, and crash tests - LOL. This is why the Defender went the way of the dinosaur after 67 years.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the same complaint...even my 84 oldsmobile had a mist feature.... Also no heated mirrors!
Atomic,
You might check these out:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/vendor-deals-group-buys/548578-group-buy-trail-toys-ezview-mirrors-spring-2016-a.html

Even if group buy is over (?), still worth it!
They offer the EZ View mirrors plus heated mirror pads.
2 birds w/ one stone!
Pretty basic install; heating pads come w/ wiring & terminals.
(have't used heaters yet, I'm in Houston, sooo... more of a add-on for when I travel)
& LOVE the mirrors!

D:wink

·
Registered
332 Posts
yeah but 2 problems -- people wolud ***** that it has no creature comforts, and crash tests - LOL. This is why the Defender went the way of the dinosaur after 67 years.
That was my point, use the old J40 body styling, but upgrade the safety and technical aspects of the vehicle to modern standards. It doesn't look that much different than a modern squared off Jeep Wrangler and it would look waaaaay cooler.

·
Desert Moderator
5,583 Posts
That was my point, use the old J40 body styling, but upgrade the safety and technical aspects of the vehicle to modern standards. It doesn't look that much different than a modern squared off Jeep Wrangler and it would look waaaaay cooler.
Got it. New wrangler will be interesting - better aero out of the factory with cheap plastic on the front which can be easily removed is my guess - and more rake on the windshield.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
…wait, you are describing an FJ Cruiser then

Not an original body on a modern chassis (which is what Icon Motors does), but you want a modern body in the style of a classic vehicle. OK, then you want an FJ Cruiser, or any Jeep Wrangler, ever.

As already pointed out, people will b*tch about the lack of creature comforts if you don't modernize it, but if you do then you don't have the classic anymore.

In either case, this theme is pretty much the opposite of what this thread was supposed to be about: what DON'T you like about your FJ? :)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
regarding the lack of a mist wipe, I think I have found an answer for us!

There was an era of Land Cruiser/LX/GX which used our column and our switch, but it also had a headlight cleaner. That switch is exactly like ours in every other respect but with an added button on the end of the stalk (it was used to operate the headlight cleaner on those models).

Plan: buy one of these from a scrap yard, then fit it to my FJ with the following modifications to the body side wire harness connector before plugging it into this new switch: swap the wire from WF to B (same size terminal so that should be easy), and add a ground wire to L.

Later, after I've confirmed this works I'll post a more complete tutorial in the "how to" section, but a quick summary is this: removing the WF wire from the original location eliminates the washer spray when you pull back on the stalk, turning that action into the mist wipe. Moving the WF ("washer, front pump") connector over to the B terminal connects the front washer pump to one side of the new stalk end button and adding the ground wire to L completes the circuit so the washer pump will operate when you push the button.

The result will be very natural: pull back for mist wipe, and press button for spray.

:)

·
Desert Moderator
5,583 Posts
You can't just flip the lever down and up?
Either that or set the intermittent wipe timer as slow as possible & just leave that on?

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if they still put the window vents like they used to put on cars? I don't get why they don't do that anymore.
Same minor complain here. But I had the window deflector from WeatherTech installed for a while which reduced that wind but added a new 'version' of noise though. But in general, serves my purpose.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yeah the wind in the ear thing is probably my "only" thing...I tried the window vent deflector things, but didn't like how they restricted visibility and what little "open" feel the FJC has.

If any of the rear door windows were operable this wouldn't be an issue.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts