Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Got it. New wrangler will be interesting - better aero out of the factory with cheap plastic on the front which can be easily removed is my guess - and more rake on the windshield.
Yeah, a little more rake would be nice. Cracked windshields are a royal pain even though I haven't had my FJ's windshield get a crack....yet (knock on wood). But I did get a whole mess of cracks with the windshield on my old Wrangler during just one trip down I80 in the winter. It was easier to replace than the windshield on an FJ however.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
If any of the rear door windows were operable this wouldn't be an issue.
This!

Newbies are allowed to bump the old threads, right? Hehe.

The only thing I don't like about my FJ is the complete lack of rear passenger ventilation -- no vents and the windows don't even tilt open for air (how hard would that have been, really??). Poor rear passengers get whatever the front passengers feel like passing back. My poor dog was pretty irritated by the situation when he couldn't ride shotgun.

Furthering the wishlist - that the rear glass would be motor-controlled up/down - how cool would that be? My dog would have loved that (he was a cargo area dog on several trips).

And why couldn't the rear seats fold flat, what's with the hump? I've been tempted to take them out and figure out a custom folding bench seat that turns into a crash pad when laid flat.

Guess I have more than one thing...but I still love my FJ. :angel

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
This!

Newbies are allowed to bump the old threads, right? Hehe.

The only thing I don't like about my FJ is the complete lack of rear passenger ventilation -- no vents and the windows don't even tilt open for air (how hard would that have been, really??). Poor rear passengers get whatever the front passengers feel like passing back. My poor dog was pretty irritated by the situation when he couldn't ride shotgun.

Furthering the wishlist - that the rear glass would be motor-controlled up/down - how cool would that be? My dog would have loved that (he was a cargo area dog on several trips).

And why couldn't the rear seats fold flat, what's with the hump? I've been tempted to take them out and figure out a custom folding bench seat that turns into a crash pad when laid flat.

Guess I have more than one thing...but I still love my FJ. :angel
Some have installed a motor back there but this is the next best thing:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/146957-leeburg-ventlock-review-2.html

Motorized: FJ Power Rear Window Kit - Chi-Town 4x4

Freedom Windows. Toyota FJ Cruiser Windows | Vent, Side Windows FJ Cruiser | Toyota FJ Aftermarket Windows

I took out the rear seat cushions and it is close to flat. Others have taken it out completely.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/28207-full-rear-seat-removal-pics-divider.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
The OME roof-rack.

design over function.

happy that it's easy to replace.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ok, here is a dumb one, I wish the door arm rest was padded! I drive with my elbow resting on it and it gets sore pretty quick! (Older with some joint ailments)

Oh... and no freakin storage anywhere!

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
I look at the lack of storage as a modification challenge, i.e. something fun to over come.
What I don't like is that there is nothing for the driver to hold onto when you hit a part of a trail that leans way to the left. I'm not a fan of leaning on the drivers door and yes the drivers door armrest is not padded, thought I don't know if that would help. If you try holding on to the center console it pops right off. Anyone ever bolted a surprise strap to floor next to the center console?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The visibility sucks, the MPG is poor, the aerodynamics are that of an apartment building, there's no automatic back window, no rear operational windows for passengers at all, the arms rests are set too low on the seats, no locking gas door, runs on premium, bigger tires requires a body mount chop... AND I love every bit of it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The thing I really ended up not liking after having it for a year, no way to haul anything.. ended up selling it and getting another Ram truck...

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
"my 2013 has a mist option"

if you pull back on the stalk it sprays the window with washer fluid, and then wipes it off, right? That's called the washer.

What we were talking about is different. We are looking for the ability to make the wipers operate 1 wipe on demand (Toyota calls that mist wipe). In the event that you are driving through a very light mist, or a heavy fog, and so you only need to operate the wipers once in a while (too slow for the lowest setting on the intermittent wipe). Most automobiles (and almost every other Toyota) include this function. In an FJ, which lacks it, it is necessary to turn them all of the way on, and then back off again (requires about 1 calorie more energy in human motion to do it, so most people say, "meh" ). :)

Here's what I found: the IS300 Wagon, which has mist wipe, had the closest wiper switch to ours: the wire connector is the same, and it would be plug and play except that the switch housing doesn't fit into our steering column bracket. The shape was changed by only a couple of millimeters in several places, probably to prevent them getting mixed up at the plant.

My plan is to take a dremel to the IS300 Wagon switch (I bought from a scrap yard) and make it fit.

Once it is installed, it will operate the same as ours, and look the same, but when you pull back on the lever will operate the wipers for 1 wipe on demand. The washer spray is moved to a little button on the end of the stalk.

After that, my FJ will be perfect (except for the aerodynamics of an apartment building, a too small gas tank and the fact that they don't make them any more so I must make this one last forever).

Norm

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
I have found giving the wiper stalk a quick flick back produces a single swipe from the blades.

Magic Fingers....

·
Registered
53 Posts
My only complaint is the transfer box. There are more expensive boxes that have a clutch that locks so you can have 2WD, PT4WD, FT4WD, and FT4WDLowrange. Other than that, it’s perfect for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2012 model bought new

-Took over 30,000 miles and a fluid change for the auto transmission to "break-in" and shift properly. Too hard to effectively write it up here where it would be understandable...lets call it normal driveability was bad. Toyota said it was fine....after 55,000 miles I'd say it is now just 95% fine.

-the rear diff whinned from day one, Toyota said it was acceptable and would do nothing. It was a pint low from the factory fill, I changed fluid and proper level and it still whinned. Sent a oil sample to a oil lab and no big surprise....wear metals like iron were almost 3 times universal averages. Still Toyota refused to do anything saying nothing has "failed". After 55,000 miles it is not near as loud but still whines.

--The front seats are ridiculously crappy in so many ways...no proper adjustability, no lumbar, feels like I'm sitting in a bucket, drivers seat sinks down after jacking it all the way up, no passenger arm rest. Pathetic at this price point.

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
"my 2013 has a mist option"

if you pull back on the stalk it sprays the window with washer fluid, and then wipes it off, right? That's called the washer.

What we were talking about is different. We are looking for the ability to make the wipers operate 1 wipe on demand (Toyota calls that mist wipe). In the event that you are driving through a very light mist, or a heavy fog, and so you only need to operate the wipers once in a while (too slow for the lowest setting on the intermittent wipe). Most automobiles (and almost every other Toyota) include this function. In an FJ, which lacks it, it is necessary to turn them all of the way on, and then back off again (requires about 1 calorie more energy in human motion to do it, so most people say, "meh" ). :)

Here's what I found: the IS300 Wagon, which has mist wipe, had the closest wiper switch to ours: the wire connector is the same, and it would be plug and play except that the switch housing doesn't fit into our steering column bracket. The shape was changed by only a couple of millimeters in several places, probably to prevent them getting mixed up at the plant.

My plan is to take a dremel to the IS300 Wagon switch (I bought from a scrap yard) and make it fit.

Once it is installed, it will operate the same as ours, and look the same, but when you pull back on the lever will operate the wipers for 1 wipe on demand. The washer spray is moved to a little button on the end of the stalk.

After that, my FJ will be perfect (except for the aerodynamics of an apartment building, a too small gas tank and the fact that they don't make them any more so I must make this one last forever).

Norm

Cant wait to see if it works for you. Not having mist sucks!. Finally got my highway blinker with the Tap-Turn, and this fix would really make it complete!

(Steve, this thread is about wipers)

·
Registered
223 Posts
After having my 13 TT for almost 5 years the one thing I have a complaint about went away when I changed suspension.
Brake dive. It is almost dangerous in a stock(TT at least)truck. The thing dives and abs kicks in bouncing it up and down violently.
Either adjust the abs right for these trucks that are high with lots of travel(compared to a normal car) or stiffen the front springs with variable load springs. Too late for toyota but to anyone wondering, stiffer springs really help.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Scrufy..this thread isn't a general thread about FJ shortcomings, it's about the function of the windshield wipers. I think that there's another thread somewhere for the things you don't like about FJs.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 98 Posts